Max Payne 3 Preorder Bonus Plumbs the Awful Past

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Max Payne 3 Preorder Bonus Plumbs the Awful Past

Gamers who pre-order Max Payne 3 are in for an extra-special treat: early access to the multiplayer map Cemetery, where Max's wife and infant daughter are buried.

You may or may not know this about Max Payne, but before he was a psychopathic tough guy struggling with alcoholism and an addiction to painkillers, he was a devoted family man with a loving wife and newborn baby daughter. Then one day they were brutally murdered, a tragic slaughter Max actually stumbled upon mere moments too late to prevent. In fact, now that I think about it, I suppose it's possible that the gut-punch devastation of that moment and the months and years of emptiness that followed might have even contributed to his slow-burning breakdown.

Anyway, it was some pretty unpleasant business all the way around but if you're enough of a fan to lay down your money in advance, you can go back and enjoy it all over again in Cemetery, a multiplayer map of special significance that will be given out as a pre-order bonus weeks before it's made available to the public at large.

"The final resting place of Max's young wife and daughter, Cemetery represents the tragic past Max cannot forget," Rockstar said. "With a wintry New York City skyline, sniping positions amongst the monuments, destructible tombstones, circular fighting arenas in a rotunda garden and a looming mausoleum, it makes a fitting final home for your enemies."

The map will be given out for pre-orders of both the standard and special editions [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/114308-Rockstar-Unveils-Max-Payne-3-Special-Edition] of the game, which means that if you play your cards right you could potentially lay waste to your enemies with Mona Sax's sniper rifle while taking cover behind your wife's gravestone. Man, that is seriously messed up.

Max Payne 3 [http://www.amazon.com/Max-Payne-3-Pc/dp/B00178631E/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1322086031&sr=8-3] is set for release in March 2012 for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Multiplayer?
WHAT IS THIS THEY ARE RUINING MAX PAYNE FOREVER HARBLE GLARBLE

But seriously, gunfight in a graveyard in a noir game? Creepy.

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
Goddamnit guys. Seriously?

Okay, Brazil. There's no noir in Brazil. But hey, it could be like Man on Fire, and that was a good movie, so whateve-

Multiplayer? Really? In a Max Payne game? Are we sure this is really necessa-

"The map will be given out for pre-orders of both the standard and special editions of the game"
I'm out. Max Payne is dead.

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Andy Chalk said:
"The final resting place of Max's young wife and daughter, Cemetery represents the tragic past Max cannot forget," Rockstar said.
"Although we do admit he might be occasionally distracted by the snipers and exploding tombstones."

KhaineII

Sep 21, 2009
Love it when people see additions to a game and figure that'll ruin the core product.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Matthew94 said:
What's messed up about using Mona's rifle? She survived remember?
Actually the messed up part is your melee weapon is your dead kid, you just batter people with her corpse.
See Call a Doody now that would be edgy.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Matthew94 said:
KhaineII said:
Love it when people see additions to a game and figure that'll ruin the core product.
No but it detracts development time from the single player which can suffer.
Honestly since this is Rockstar I trully dont mind, Rockstar REALLY likes to have a good singleplayer in their games, and they also like to add a good multiplayer if possible.

See Red Dead Redeption, the game could have been SP only and if that was the case people would consider that RDR with MP wouldnt work but taking a different aproach on MP Rockstar made a unique MP for RDR that worked well with the game.

After seeing the gameplay trailer for MP3 it looks like it will work and it can be very fun, the only thing that I still want to understand is how will bullet time work in multiplayer.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
Ha ha wow. "Go to the emotional place where your wife and child are buried... then murder the shit out of everyone."

Hazy said:
Okay, Brazil. There's no noir in Brazil.
Not yet. Wait until my cyberpunk noir short story in gritty São Paulo is done. It's noir as shit, man. It's noir as some shit that is both particularly black and particularly French.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Matthew94 said:
What's messed up about using Mona's rifle? She survived remember?
Are you serious? She died for most people (and given Max's apparent situation, that would appear to be the canon conclusion as well) and even if she's not, using your wife's gravestone as cover while you murder dudes with her replacement's rifle is seriously twisted shit.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
an MP in a MP game???? why do they have to ruin every good SP game with a damn MP? they better do a very good SP game that will keep us up for 10h. otherwise im really rethinking my options of getting this game since mass effect 3 has MP and requires origin on top of it.
and people who say a game without a MP is bad, is nothing else but a retard.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Matthew94 said:
KhaineII said:
No but it detracts development time from the single player which can suffer.
That's assuming that the team that works on multiplayer is the same team that works on single player. Actually watch the credits to a game sometime. Usually it isn't. Really, I don't know any games where one team did both. (Indie doesn't count)

Pirakahunter788

Feb 4, 2011
Metalrocks said:
an MP in a MP game???? why do they have to ruin every good SP game with a damn MP? they better do a very good SP game that will keep us up for 10h. otherwise im really rethinking my options of getting this game since mass effect 3 has MP and requires origin on top of it.
and people who say a game without a MP is bad, is nothing else but a retard.
And so you assume that the inclusion of multiplayer, will automatically ruin the game? Rockstar know what they're doing. Give em a break.

Jagger916

Nov 8, 2011
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
The final resting ground of Max's family would make a really cool centrepiece for the single-player story, with all the history and emotion involved, but by limiting it to multiplayer it's going to simply be the place where asshats pwn noobs and underage boys swear blindly at each other. Hardly the most dignified end for Max's family...

I wouldn't be surprised if the multiplayer map was taken from a SP area. Perhaps Max goes to see his family for one last before heading to Brazil and gets ambushed.