Betting Now Open For Best-Selling Game Of Christmas 08

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Betting Now Open For Best-Selling Game Of Christmas 08

Wanna bet which game will be the number one seller over Christmas? Paddy Power [http://www.paddypower.com/bet] is giving odds.

Paddy Power, an Irish online bookmaker, has opened betting on which videogame will be the U.K.'s top seller over the 2008 Christmas season. Leading the way at press time is Rock Band 2 [http://www.callofduty.com/CoDWW], dragged down by recent reports of significantly slowing sales, is an outside runner at 20-1.

Feel like rolling the dice a little? Resident Evil Zero [http://www.worldscollide.com/], a 250-1 horse that's so dark it's practically invisible.

Based in Dublin, Paddy Power is Ireland's largest bookmaker, giving odds on everything from conventional sports events to the U.S. Presidential election, Russell Brand's next job, whether or not God actually exists and, at 500-1, whether Russell Brand actually is God. People who live in silly countries where online gambling is illegal (but assault weapon ownership isn't) can't get a piece of this action, but the rest of the world can pick their ponies here [http://www.paddypower.com/bet?action=go_event&category=SPECIALS&class_sort=--&ev_id=1242925&ev_class_id=240&ev_type_id=10589&force_racing_css=N].

shatnershaman

May 8, 2008
I bet FIFA 09 because World at War is being drowned in cynicism over its World War II setting (and FIFA has online where each player is different person is awesome).

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
It surprises me that WotLK is so low on the odds. My money's actually going to be on that. At 150-1 odds someone could stand to make a fairly large win if they were right.

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
I'm also gonna go with FIFA 09. I've heard people do nothing but gush about the game and I don't even follow sport games.

HSIAMetalKing

Jan 2, 2008
Amnestic said:
It surprises me that WotLK is so low on the odds. My money's actually going to be on that. At 150-1 odds someone could stand to make a fairly large win if they were right.
Same here... holy shit, I can't believe those odds!

darrinwright

Oct 1, 2008
My sure-fire bet goes to Little Big Planet and Gears of War 2, with my long-shot being Mortal Kombat vs DC.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
curlycrouton said:
I predict Left 4 Dead.
nah, with horror games you lose the crucial very olds, very youngs and very young's mums. They aren't usually daft enough to buy their kid a game with a severed hand on the front.

My money goes on WoW. Massive existing market.

curlycrouton

Jul 13, 2008
fix-the-spade said:
curlycrouton said:
I predict Left 4 Dead.
nah, with horror games you lose the crucial very olds, very youngs and very young's mums. They aren't usually daft enough to buy their kid a game with a severed hand on the front.

My money goes on WoW. Massive existing market.
Maybe you're right.
In that case, Lego Batman.

Ex_ery

Jun 23, 2008
The problem is the wording of the argument: "Best seller Christmas 08"

WotLK Goes on sale on the 13th of november most everywhere i think, a good Month+ before the christmas season, so if they dont count the release night sales, of course the 150-1 odds make more sense as there's no logic behind WotLK sales outpacing anything else after the first week of its release.

Jharry5

Nov 1, 2008
Got a feeling that it'll be either FIFA 09 or Need for Speed, not because I'd get them but because they'll appeal to a wider audience...

TheGhostOfSin

Terrible, Terrible Damage.
May 21, 2008
Going by times I've had to fill out pre-order forms for it I'd say Professor Layton and the Curious Village for the DS will sell BILLIONS

Fire Daemon

Quoth the Daemon
Dec 18, 2007
World at War isn't surprising. Most of CoD4's sales came from Christmas and it knocked xbox live out for a week. I' guessing the same people who bought number four in trucks loads will do the same for number five.

I just hope Live can withstand fire power of that magnitude this time.