Dead Island Banned in Germany, But Nobody Cares

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Dead Island Banned in Germany, But Nobody Cares

Dead Island has been banned in Germany and both the developer and the publisher have reacted with a yawn.

Germany has a well-deserved reputation for being a little on the uptight side when it comes to videogame regulation. Its "over the line and out the door" approach to game censorship can be awfully constricting; just ask Activision, which was forced to Wolfenstein [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/94909-Wolfenstein-Recalled-in-Germany-UPDATED] in 2009 because of a single, errant and awfully hard-to-see swastika that made it into the game, thereby putting it in violation of the country's laws against Nazi-related symbols. But in a warped way, it can also be kind of liberating. If you know your game isn't going to make it under the wire anyway, you might as well just step right over it.

"This isn't unexpected. Germany has its unique regulations regarding videogames and violence and the industry can only comply," a rep from Techland, the studio that created the game, told Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-11-29-techland-not-shocked-by-germanys-dead-island-ban]. "Both Deep Silver and Techland were aware of such a possibility from the very beginning."

The game has been classified as "List B," described as "youth-endangering media," which means that it cannot be legally sold in Germany and that German customs will seize any imported copies they discover. The Koch Media Group, the parent company of Dead Island publisher Deep Silver, is actually a German company itself but said it didn't break any home town rules.

"We did not distribute or sell Dead Island in Germany", a Koch Media rep said. "The intention was to bring the game to the international markets, as the product seems to be better suitable for audiences abroad."

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Once we deal with Australia I say we turn our sights to Germany and start pestering them to unclench their sphincter a bit. WWII was a long time ago, Germany, you can chill out and join the rest of us in our violence filled entertainment. We won't judge, honest.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Wow, can't even import. That is some bullshit, Germany. I can see prohibiting sales, but seize any imported copies of it is just ridiculous.

I feel sorry for German gamers, or at least the ones who want to play certain titles. You have my sympathies if you wanted to play this game, it was a good game.

Ruairi iliffe

Sep 13, 2010
Hmmm, thought they only ban sales of the game, Imports usally arn't touched if i recall as they'd have to open the package... and that a big no no from what ive gathered living here.(Germans love their privacy)

Oh well, looks like a steam gift from the uk then.

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
Edit for badly thought out gibberish !

OT: Arent they generally banned before thye are released? Or hasnt i been released there at all yet?

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
So that means even if a person orders the game from a website outside the country they will get it confiscated? I guess it's pretty easy to prove that you own the game since it would recorded on your XBL or PSN profile. Sucks for Germany [:(] When will people realise that not all games are for "youths"?

Ruairi iliffe

Sep 13, 2010
Baresark said:
Wow, can't even import. That is some bullshit, Germany. I can see prohibiting sales, but seize any imported copies of it is just ridiculous.

I feel sorry for German gamers, or at least the ones who want to play certain titles. You have my sympathies if you wanted to play this game, it was a good game.
heh, tbh most of my co-workers tend to buy from the uk(Far cheaper, less crap translations) or Austria(German translation, no censor)

There are ways around this, and as i said in the post above, i cant see this not being importible as long as it clearly isnt 'Bought goods'

Ruairi iliffe

Sep 13, 2010
imnotparanoid said:
OT: Arent they generally banned before thye are released? Or hasnt i been released there at all yet?
Its been out for months now, seen it in a local gamestop.

saxxon.de

Apr 18, 2011
I am german, I'm close to my thirties now and I don't buy my games here.

It's just ridiculous. They're censored, like Bulletstorm which doesn't even have blood, not to mention any gore / dismemberment. They're indexed, like Dead Island now, which means it's illegal to advertise the game or have it sit on your shelf if you're a shop owner, rendering it nearly impossible to sell the game. And if neither of this is the case, you still pay about 50% more for your average game compared to just importing it from the UK.

As a grown up gamer, i say: If the country doesn't want my taxes from my game purchases and instead tries to dictate what I am allowed to see and what not, it might aswell fuck itself.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
huh. Never noticed this sort of thing when I was stationed there... pretty sure I bought Return to Castle Wolfenstein at a PX there in 2005 (yes, I buy a lot of games well past their prime)... I guess German customs doesn't get to look through AAFES stuff, huh?

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Censoring shit and treating adults like children is definitely the best way to deal with the country's fascist past, no doubt about it.

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
Danyal said:
imnotparanoid said:
Now you mention it, when the Germans play a ww2 game or watch a ww2 film, who do they want to win? I mena the nazis where shit, but it is their country!
Well, firstly, most of the time it's pretty obvious the allies are gonna win. You can't watch Saving Private Ryan and think 'I hope the Germans are gonna win!'.
Secondly, in my experience with German people (living 5km for the German border, Dutch myself, one of my best friends is German), they completely do not identify with the nazis. Germany during WWII is nearly always called 'Nazi Germany', not Germany.
Yeah I thought it would be like that for the second one.
Still I bet the nazis win in some films.
Like.
Um.
Huh I guess they dont.

AugustFall

May 5, 2009
Danyal said:
imnotparanoid said:
Now you mention it, when the Germans play a ww2 game or watch a ww2 film, who do they want to win? I mena the nazis where shit, but it is their country!
Well, firstly, most of the time it's pretty obvious the allies are gonna win. You can't watch Saving Private Ryan and think 'I hope the Germans are gonna win!'.
Secondly, in my experience with German people (living 5km for the German border, Dutch myself, one of my best friends is German), they completely do not identify with the nazis. Germany during WWII is nearly always called 'Nazi Germany', not Germany.
In the immortal words of that one guy from Captain America. "The first country the Nazis invaded was their own."