Norwegian Mass Murderer Diagnosed With Paranoid Schizophrenia

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Norwegian Mass Murderer Diagnosed With Paranoid Schizophrenia

Anders Breivik, who killed 77 people and wounded 151 during a rampage in July that led to calls for stricter controls on videogames, has been diagnosed as a delusional paranoid schizophrenic by Norwegian psychiatrists.

Anders Breivik carried out one of the most horrific acts of mass murder ever recorded on July 22, first with a car bomb in the capital of Oslo that left eight people dead and then in a shooting spree at a youth camp being held on the nearby island of Utoeya that killed 69 more, mostly teenagers. He was captured alive and admitted to the crimes but said it was justified as part of his campaign to defend Europe against a Muslim invasion.

Unsurprisingly, some mainstream media outlets made a link between Breivik and videogames, noting his claim in a lengthy manifesto that Modern Warfare 2 was part of his "training regimen" and that he'd been able to cover up his real planning and training for the attack by claiming that he had a bad World of Warcraft habit. Australian Christian Lobby Managing Director Jim Wallace used the attack to removed a number of violent games [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/111895-Oslo-Murders-Lead-to-Calls-For-Game-Bans-in-Australia] from their shelves, albeit temporarily, "out of respect" to the victims of the attack.

But even less surprising than the determination by some to link the attack to videogames is today's announcement that games had far less to do with it than straight-up mental illness. Two psychiatrists appointed by the Norwegian courts who have interviewed Breivik 13 times since the attack have diagnosed him with paranoid schizophrenia, saying he was in a psychotic state during and after the attacks and lives in his "own delusional universe where all his thoughts and acts are guided by his delusion."

Breivik will still stand trial for the killings but if a review panel from the Norwegian Board of Forensic Medicine agrees with the assessment, prosecutors will seek "compulsory mental health care" rather than jail time. "It will go as a normal trial as if he had been sane," prosecutor Inga Bejer told the BBC [http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-15936276]. "We will ask him questions and the defence will ask him questions and the judge will ask him questions and he will have his time to talk."

Not everyone is happy with the diagnosis, including the leader of the opposition Progress Party, but John Christian Elden, a lawyer for the victims, said it didn't matter whether he was ruled sane or not as long as he wasn't set free. "What will happen in the case, no matter what the conclusion, is that [Breivik] will of course be incarcerated," he said. "And if the outcome is criminally sane or insane, that is first and foremost a psychiatric question. The most important thing in our clients' opinion is that he will not be able to walk the streets."

Breivik's trial begins on April 16, 2012, and is expected to take about ten weeks.

via: GamePolitics [http://gamepolitics.com/2011/11/29/court-psychiatrists-norwegian-killer-039paranoid-schizophrenic039]

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
Wait, that happened on July 22?
Wow... just now I realize he did it on my birthday. Slowpoke's got nothing on me!

So this just means not games made him do it but games caused his psychotic illness. If you want to link it, there's nothing to stop you.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
I consider it a failing of the legal system that his case will take ten weeks. This is why it can take 6-24 months to get a trial, because they have such a huge backlog of cases.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
No offense, but if someone is claiming that they used Modern Warfare 2 for training, they are not a normal thinking human being. I love this. A guy shoots up some people, just to do it, and he is somehow considered sane. What a crazy world we live in.

Also, whether he is sane or not wouldn't impact whether or not he should be taken off the streets. Imagine if he was genetically cursed (it's not like that with any mental disorder, btw) to be a paranoid schizophrenic, it wouldn't change what he had done and wouldn't change that he would need to be either jailed or otherwise warehoused away from society.

That is the big fear of mental disorders and law, that people are relieved of culpability. But they are not. The best case I have ever heard for this is from the book, "Incognito: The Secret Lives of the Brain", by Neurologist David Eagleman. Great read.

neurohazzard

Nov 24, 2007
It never ceases to baffle me that some people are always surprised when crazy people do crazy things because they are crazy.

Floppertje

Nov 9, 2009
you know what creeps me out? the fact that he claims to have used MW2 as a training regimen means he's been playing it a LOT. which means a lot of people have been in matches with him, thinking it was all just a game while he was preparing for an actual massacre.
I know by the same logic I probably pass several hardcore criminals in the street everyday, but it still creeps me out...

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
And no one was surprised that day. Seriously, did anyone think he was in a healthy mental state when he perpetrated the attacks? The guy was obviously a paranoid schizophrenic.

robert01

Jul 22, 2011
This just in:

Violent games make people psychotic!

At least that is what the news outlets are going to spin this into.

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
Not that impressed that the medical diagnosis of the perpetrator of the one of the worst mass murders of the 21st century is being reported as "hey guys it wasn't computer games, he was just a loony."

Dr. wonderful

Dec 31, 2009
I always wonder what was the final estimate of those deaths was.

Just curious, you know. I couldn't get a straight out answe by anyone.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Quaxar said:
Wait, that happened on July 22?
Wow... just now I realize he did it on my birthday. Slowpoke's got nothing on me!

So this just means not games made him do it but games caused his psychotic illness. If you want to link it, there's nothing to stop you.
Bomb in the government building and then he went to a camp for politically involved youth and started shooing everyone he could, mainly kids in ages 13-19.

BreakfastMan said:
And no one was surprised that day. Seriously, did anyone think he was in a healthy mental state when he perpetrated the attacks? The guy was obviously a paranoid schizophrenic.
Actually I heard he used drugs to numb himself when doing the attacks. I can't vouch for this being certain, but I think I remember that they mentioned it in the papers... along with names of all the people he has ever talked to throughout the years.

I am not surprised that he was declared insane. I told my friend that he would either be insane for doing what he did without remorse or that everything he did from the moment he was caught was an act to be declared insane. I am still not sure which it is, but I certainly hope he is insane and wont recover.

spectrenihlus

Feb 4, 2010
robert01 said:
This just in:

Violent games make people psychotic!

At least that is what the news outlets are going to spin this into.
If that where the case the United States would have become a real life battleground between people who own modern warfare and people who own battlefield and those that didn't would have been killed in the opening shots.

HerbertTheHamster

Apr 6, 2009
At least this means he'll be going in and out of asylums the rest of his life, as opposed to being released after 10 years or something

latenightapplepie

Nov 9, 2008
I agree with Elden in this case. I don't really mind whether he's found criminally sane or insane, just so long as he is incarcerated for the rest of his natural life, be it in a mental institution or a prison.

Or, perhaps, until he's somehow cured of his paranoid schizophrenia. Can that happen?

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Just hang him and be done with it, jeez.

So in order for games to 'cause' mental breakdowns, they have to be crazy in the first place, hmm, pattern I think?

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
God. Schizophrenics just can't get good press. I'm a fucking schizophrenic and you guys are making me look scary. And not the good kind of scary.

latenightapplepie said:
Or, perhaps, until he's somehow cured of his paranoid schizophrenia. Can that happen?
Not exactly. A combination of antipsychotic medications and psychological counseling can reduce the symptoms, but it's kind of a life-long thing.

ezeroast

Jan 25, 2009
Anyone who kills 77 people is insane. I never understood that term when talking about murders.

Denariax

Nov 3, 2010
As a paranoid schizophrenic I'm insulted that we're not even considered people anymore.

It's like, round them all up into a bin and open fire. Geezus. I'm already considered a freak amongst the Floridians, it doesn't help that now this guy has to shove gaming into the agenda and make me look worse.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
It would seem Norway has a different approach to those diagnosed insane, since they are moving forward with the trial. If he was diagnosed over here it would have been straight to the penitentiary for him until he was found fit for trial. Which in his case would be never.
Denariax said:
As a paranoid schizophrenic I'm insulted that we're not even considered people anymore.

It's like, round them all up into a bin and open fire. Geezus. I'm already considered a freak amongst the Floridians, it doesn't help that now this guy has to shove gaming into the agenda and make me look worse.
Just show little interest in sparkly vampires and right now people won't give you a second thought. I have social disorders myself, but I do my best to get past them to do my job and keep friends. It isn't easy, but committing to the challenge instead of just letting yourself be committed makes you a stronger person.
Besides, it's not like there are actual sane people in the world.