"Insider" Claims Big Plans Ahead for Dead Space

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
"Insider" Claims Big Plans Ahead for Dead Space

An Electronic Arts "insider" says the publisher plans to broaden the Dead Space franchise to include an FPS, a flight sim and something in the vein of Uncharted.

Dead Space is a reasonably popular and reasonably successful franchise that covers a lot of ground for EA. The original Extraction [http://www.amazon.com/Dead-Space-Platinum-Hits-Xbox-360/dp/B000X1PE16/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322687280&sr=8-1] spin-off for the Wii and PlayStation 3 did reasonably well for itself, while the downloadable Ignition did not. There have also been animated movies, comic books and a novel.

But EA is apparently looking to expand the series even further, according to an inside source who told Uncharted [http://kotaku.com/5863657/ea-wants-to-make-a-dead-space-first+person+shooter-and-more].

The eternal optimist in me envisions the flight game as a modern-day Freespace [http://www.amazon.com/Freespace-2-Pc/dp/B00002EPYV/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322687476&sr=8-1], although the point of slapping the Dead Space name on it eludes me. Not sure about the Uncharted thing, though; why not just shift Dead Space 3 into that adventurous realm, rather than sinking the time and money into a parallel game?

Speaking of Dead Space 3, it's still alive and kicking and will feature co-op gameplay on an ice planet, as has already been rumored [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/113463-New-Dead-Space-3-Rumors-Keep-Isaac-Suffering]. The insider claimed that the expansion of the franchise followed a management shuffle at EA that almost led to the cancellation of Dead Space 3 because of underperforming sales, yet for some unexplained reason the decision to kill it became a double-down instead.

All of this is strictly rumor so take it for what it's worth, which at this point isn't much. EA has yet to comment on the report.

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
Like Assassins Creed Dead Space is a series that I once tried to get every new release for but gave up on, I have been thinking about giving the series a look again but the fact that we've had a few games already and there are hints of 2-3 more from the series is off putting for me. Surely they must be near the end of the story by now?

ZeZZZZevy

Apr 3, 2011
Well making the switch from 3rd to 1st person isn't really that huge, but I'm unsure how the series can make a game similar to Uncharted. The gameplay just doesn't really lend itself to that type of game. Although I could easily see a cool flight sim based off of the series.

Interested in how that co-op is gonna work out, could be something pretty sweet. Or you know, it could be shit, but whatever I'll still be able to go single player if all else fails.

Apr 28, 2008
Wait, so Dead Space 2 sold millions within the first week and they were going to cancel Dead Space 3?

I just don't get it. I really don't. EA's not even playing by their own rules anymore. Why would they want to cancel the third game in a series that has had millions of sales?

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Of course. I like DS1 and 2, I just bought them both on Steam for uber-cheap(I already had them on the PS3, but I would rather have them for the PC anyway).

EA is really dumb though. So, the first game eventually was a success, which they then almost made that number of sales in the first week of the second one. Where does logic say to make it into an FPS? Or a spaceflight sim?

Also, it's pretty much already an Uncharted type game, it being third person and having some exploration element to it. Both Uncharted and Deadspace are on rails third person games with small areas to explore.

latenightapplepie

Nov 9, 2008
Ugh.

Just make a self-contained game series. All this additional crap like novels, comic books, merchandise and parallel universe games result in far too many hands on the tiller and the series loses focus.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
Irridium said:
Wait, so Dead Space 2 sold millions within the first week and they were going to cancel Dead Space 3?

I just don't get it. I really don't. EA's not even playing by their own rules anymore. Why would they want to cancel the third game in a series that has had millions of sales?
EA just had a big management shake-up. The "old EA" that created Dead Space and Mirror's Edge (which I loved) has been replaced with a manager that wants "sure-fire" hits... he's the same moron that wrongly believes chasing the success of other franchises (Call of Duty, Uncharted, World of Warcraft) is the way to make money, even if that means putting multiplayer into single-player games, turning one game into a completely different type of game, or just outright using brand name to sell a product.

It gives me very little hope for Mirror's Edge 2, and I fear extensively for the future of Dead Space.

Dead Space was and is fantastic, both it and its sequel, even with the unnecessary multiplayer added on later. It had good sales, good critical scores, good fan feedback... why mess with a good thing?

Apr 28, 2008
Trishbot said:
Irridium said:

EA just had a big management shake-up. The "old EA" that created Dead Space and Mirror's Edge (which I loved) has been replaced with a manager that wants "sure-fire" hits... he's the same moron that wrongly believes chasing the success of other franchises (Call of Duty, Uncharted, World of Warcraft) is the way to make money, even if that means putting multiplayer into single-player games, turning one game into a completely different type of game, or just outright using brand name to sell a product.

It gives me very little hope for Mirror's Edge 2, and I fear extensively for the future of Dead Space.

Dead Space was and is fantastic, both it and its sequel, even with the unnecessary multiplayer added on later. It had good sales, good critical scores, good fan feedback... why mess with a good thing?
But... considering the success of Dead Space 1 and 2, Dead Space 3 would be a "sure-hit".

So... why would they want to cancel it? The games do well, it's healthy, it's a money maker.

Rhys95

May 16, 2011
They made a Dead Space FPS before, for the Wii.(can't remember the name though). Personally I f they make another Dead Space game they ought to put it in the same perspective as the others.