Evil Dead Remake One Step Closer to Really Happening

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Evil Dead Remake One Step Closer to Really Happening

The remake of the 1981 horror comedy film landed a distribution deal.

A remake of the film first hinted at by star Bruce Campbell [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/111599-Bruce-Campbell-Confirms-New-Evil-Dead-Film-UPDATED] this summer looks like it might actually materialize. The new Evil Dead is produced by Raimi, Campbell and the original's producer Rob Tapert, but it will be written and directed by Fede Alvarez - with some help by Juno writer Diablo Cody. The remake will star a new set of teenagers in an isolated cabin who discover the Necronomicon, or the Book of the Dead, and become haunted by an other-worldly being. The new Evil Dead will be distributed by Sony Pictures and will hopefully go into pre-production soon.

"For 30 years, Sam, Bruce and I have been looking for the right home where we could return the deadites to the big screen," said Tapert in an announcement. Sony and the rest of the production team "share our passion for great storytelling as well as our obsession for scaring the pants off the audience. Together, we are looking forward to terrorizing a whole new generation."

Evil Dead was a landmark film in many ways. It put director Sam Raimi on the map, for one, and the shaky cam technique he pioneered in the film was soon widely adopted by Hollywood. Friends of Raimi from the Minnesota area aided in the production whose names you might recognize - Joel and Ethan Coen. And of course, Evil Dead made Bruce Campbell a household name, at least if you loved Brisco County Jr., currently watch Burn Notice or love his cameos in Raimi's Spiderman movies.

In some ways, Evil Dead 2 was already a remake of the very independent film-ey original but with better production value and the awesome scene of Bruce Campbell cutting off his own hand with a chainsaw. The series diverted into campy fantasy/horror with 1992's Army of Darkness, as Bruce Campbell's Ash was transported back in time to the middle ages to once again fight zombie-like "deadites". Army of Darkness is by far my favorite film out of the bunch with great one-liners delivered unforgettably by Campbell - "This is my boomstick!" - so let's hope the remake does well enough at the box office and we get to see what happens to Ash when he returns to work at his dead-end retail job.

Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart. You got that?!

Source: Variety [http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118046802?categoryid=13&cs=1&cmpid=RSS%7CNews%7CFilmNews]

Truly-A-Lie

Nov 14, 2009
Bruce gave his approval to the material planned for the remake, saying it was awesome, so who am I to doubt it until I've seen more. My biggest worry is that it turns out to be just a horror movie about a haunted cabin, but so long as it has that Evil Dead feel, it should be worth watching.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
I'm with Bruce's initial reaction. It won't be very good. What is left to do? Make references to the original for fans and give Campbell a token role?
In conclusion:
[sub]And yet I will watch it...[/sub]

Vausch

Dec 7, 2009
Describing the original Evil Dead as a horror comedy is a little wrong. I mean the first one was B-Horror, second was horror-comedy, Army of Darkness was comedy with a little icky thrown in.

That said, oi. I'd rather just stick with the classic and have Raimi work on continuing Spiderman and try to make it in continuity with the Avengers.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
The part that scares me... and not in a horror movie way, but rather a nightmare-ish way: Diablo fucking Cody?

No, no, no, NO NO!! Bad Sam Raimi. BAD BAD, no cookie.

ChildofGallifrey

May 26, 2008
Greg Tito said:
The remake will star a new set of teenagers in an isolated cabin who discover the Necronomicon, or the Book of the Dead, and become haunted by an other-worldly being.
That being said, I'm cool with this. Campbell and Raimi are producing, which means they have no strong objections, and if it's not going to be continuing Ash's story without Campbell as Ash, but focusing on different people in similar circumstances, then I have nothing against this.

At least not until we have more details.

Clankenbeard

Clerical Error
Mar 29, 2009
Raimi producing isn't enough. He needs a little directoral input as well. His style of shock the hell out of you and then turn around and make you laugh 2 seconds later does not exist in any other films. I miss this. Evil Dead II had it. Drag Me To Hell had had it. Evil Dead the remake needs it.

Pole cams. Vasoglides. Railroad timbers with cameras mounted on them. The man is a friggin' genius. Anybody who would (accidentally) break his lead actor's arm on the movie's final shot is willing to (make others) suffer for his art.

Roganzar

Winter is coming
Jun 13, 2009
I'm good with this as long as Raimi and Cambell are.
I hope they make use of classic real movie effects and not CGI the effects. I want to see whoever is the main protagonist, be they Ash or not, forced to where egg-whites in their eyes and slam their own head into things. If Bruce Campbell can do it then so can the next guy in the role.

Otaku World Order

Nov 24, 2011
I dunno. These remakes have been pretty much crap all along and I'm not exactly sold on this just 'cause Raimi is producing.

Aureliano

Mar 5, 2009
Let me just quote the pertinent part of this article again in case you missed it: "with some help by Juno writer Diablo Cody". Because damn it, if there's one demographic that's really been hankering for an Evil Dead reboot, it's pro-lifers.

THEoriginalBRIEN

Aug 23, 2010
God, if you're there, don't let this happen.
And then strike Spike Lee and everyone involved with the Oldboy remake with lightning fury.