Sincerest Flattery

upgray3dd

Jan 6, 2011
Someone else hates Scream and has heard of Behind The Mask? I thought I was the only one!

The film is incredibly hilarious. All horror buffs should go and rent it. Right now.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
OH MY GOD, YOU MENTIONED BEHIND THE MASK!
I love that movie! It really does deserve more attention. Incredibly clever look at the traditional slasher genre!

Crimson_Dragoon

Biologist Supreme
Jul 29, 2009
Even though Bob talked about it in his review, I'm surprised Hobo with a Shotgun didn't make it onto here. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the heck out of Grindhouse, but Hobo did a far better job of recreating the genre.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
MovieBob said:
While plenty of earlier attempts at the same idea got the easy stuff right (clothes, music, anachronistic 70s idioms), where Black Dynamite excels is the crucial smaller details. Intentional film flubs, editing mistakes and (best of all) questionable casting - part of the film's meta-joke is that White is actually playing a (fictional) Baltimore Colts all-star running back making his acting-debut as Black Dynamite, so when he breaks character or flubs a line he does so into the fictional non-actor persona
Exactly! that is why I love that film, and you need to watch it at least twice. There is a part where one of the characters reads the stage directions, and there is a second where White glares at the director, and it is just perfect. I mean films like Dolomite are just as well known for their mistakes and all the equipment in shot as anything else.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
I watched Black Dynamite a few years ago and you can tell that the cast and crew had a fun time making that movie.

ChildofGallifrey

May 26, 2008
If there was any justice in the world, Michael Jai White would be the biggest action star on the planet. As it stands, still nobody has forgiven him for Spawn.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
Black Dynamite sounds a lot like what Garth Marenghi's Darkplace was, which I was kind of sad not to see there, despite it being a television show. Especially since you had a picture of the title character in your Big Picture episode this week.

That show nails the feel bad 80's TV right on, covering a few genres at once.

Smurf McSmurfington

Jun 24, 2010
Ooh, another list of films I absolutely want to watch now, but have never heard of before(Grindhouse is the only one I had heard of before reading this... and possibly Black Dynamite, or atleast the name Michael Jai White). Keep 'em coming!
At the moment I'm refraining from watching any films simply because I'm waiting for my future computer monitor to arrive (or in other words a 42" 1080p TV, which I will never ever use as a TV), won't watch anything other than TV series until then.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
; while Tarantino's Death Proof deftly understands the "endless-dialogue-padding-with-one-notorious-scene" vibe of 70s drive-in thrillers, except his dialogue is actually good.

...Ehhhhhhhhhhhh...

By the time the first crew of women "made their exit", I was about ready to kill them myself. It's the one time I think Tarantino's style has doubled back on itself and become so concentrated in its style that it stopped being clever and just became irritating.

OtherSideofSky

Jan 4, 2010
I have to disagree about Call of Cthulu, it absolutely holds up as a narrative film in its own right. I say this because I've shown it to a large number of people who have never read Lovecraft and all of them have really gotten into. The original story doesn't actually have a lot of the quirks that make Lovecraft's work so difficult to adapt ("unspeakable terror" is something that he really moved away from later in his career) and the film's 45 minute running time keeps it from over-staying its welcome.

I would also have to say that "Hobo With a Shotgun" does a much better job of capturing the spirit of old grindhouse movies than "Grindhouse" itself does. Tarantino and Rodriguez are always just a bit too tongue in cheek and too high-budget with their recreations for me to take them seriously. "Hobo with a Shotgun" is also important as a monument to suffering for the sake of art, the director having nearly frozen to death because he put all his money into the film and could afford neither shoes nor heating oil.

Kyogissun

Notably Neutral
Jan 12, 2010
Man, I 'really' need to watch Black Dynamite already...

As for Grindhouse, I still enjoy that double feature without a hint of irony. A lot of people call it overrated but I call bullshit, they're still very fun movies. And the commentary on Death Proof's dialogue is also pretty solid, it was REALLY dialogue heavy, but I was 'not' BORED during my viewing of that film when it was doing the 'wordy' parts.

Also, Kurt Russel fucking 'sold' that movie IMHO, I think I almost watch it just for him alone. The rest of it's awesome, don't get me wrong, but Kurt's just a fucking 'great' character in that movie.

Comic Sans

DOWN YOU GO!
Oct 15, 2008
Country
United States
I fucking love Kentucky Fried Movie. I need to get a copy on DVD so I can show my friends the whole thing, rather than just the sketches I can find on YouTube.

Satosuke

Dec 18, 2007
Bob, I'm sorry for all the times I've insulted you or called you crazy. Because I cannot agree with you more on Death Proof. I don't give a flying fuck what everyone else says, Death Proof was a damn good movie. I could listen to Tarantino's dialogue all goddamn day; the big battle scene at the end was icing on the cake.

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
Two of my top 20 are on this list. I'm a big Tarantino and Rodriguez fan but Grindhouse was better than the sum of its parts. It was an experience at that mostly empty movie theater, with a few talkers for added flavour. I've since picked up both titles on DVD and though they're both great, neither are as good as the 3-hour 10-minute experience at my town's most run-down theater. And Behind the Mask is just gold. It's weird that I love it considering I'm not a fan of 80's horrors but this one balances horror and self-aware snark beautifully. The little humour throughout puts this movie in my top 20 though, like Leslie's "Paradise Lost, Found It!" at a library just before a kill. And who doesn't love Robert Englund?
upgray3dd said:
Someone else hates Scream and has heard of Behind The Mask? I thought I was the only one!

The film is incredibly hilarious. All horror buffs should go and rent it. Right now.
I'm okay with the first two Scream movies, both have average scores in my book, but I totally agree that BtM needs to be seen by every horror junkie and fans of self-aware film. I also encourage them/us to take it a step further and help fund their sequel/prequel/next project: B4tM.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Grindhouse reeks of the same sort of shallow emulation Bob usually rails against (and does here)

ChildofGallifrey said:
If there was any justice in the world, Michael Jai White would be the biggest action star on the planet. As it stands, still nobody has forgiven him for Spawn.
To be fair, it's hard to get over that. >.>