Max Payne 3 Shows Off His Moves

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Max Payne 3 Shows Off His Moves

The lengthy new Max Payne 3 gameplay trailer moves slow, fires wild and looks hot.

When word came out that the new Max Payne [http://www.amazon.com/Max-Payne-Pc/dp/B00002SUOV/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1322855091&sr=8-9] game would take our favorite grizzled New York City detective out of the urban jungle and drop him, bald, drunk and wife-beater'd, into the mean streets of Sao Paulo, hearts around the world [at least a few of them, anyway] sunk. How could this be a Max Payne game if everything that made the first two so great has been stripped away?

It turns out that not everything is gone. Sam may be a little thicker than we remember him, but he's still got that warm, soothing, teddy bear voice, and he's still as cheerful as ever. Bullet-time is also still around, which probably goes without saying, but it's been tweaked and tuned to make it even more cinematic.

"We definitely want it to feel like a Max Payne game, but we also want it to feel like a very contemporary game, and so we really tried to recreate the feel that players would have had when they played the first games," explained Art Director Rob Nelson. "We really just tried to keep the fundamentals of Max intact, but make sure they held up to today's standards."

Max Payne 3 is currently scheduled to come out in March 2012 for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC.

via: GameTrailers [http://www.gametrailers.com/video/debut-interview-max-payne-3/724526?]

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
"We definitely want it to feel like a Max Payne game, but we also want it to feel like a very contemporary game, and so we really tried to recreate the feel that players would have had when they played the first games," explained Art Director Rob Nelson. "We really just tried to keep the fundamentals of Max intact, but make sure they held up to today's standards."
So bald people in Sao Paolo is the essence of contemporary? I don't like that everything has to be dark and gritty. It was fun and novel 10 years ago, let's move on.

The game looks good, and I'm sure it will be good, but I get the feeling that that cinematic touch to the bullet-time will get old FAST.

Mar 5, 2011
GeorgW said:
Andy Chalk said:
So bald people in Sao Paolo is the essence of contemporary? I don't like that everything has to be dark and gritty. It was fun and novel 10 years ago, let's move on.

The game looks good, and I'm sure it will be good, but I get the feeling that that cinematic touch to the bullet-time will get old FAST.
VATS never gets old in Fallout 3 or N.V.

OT: What does he mean by "modern standards"? So film noir styling isn't good enough for him?

CoL0sS

Nov 2, 2010
They haven't given us much so far, but it looks enough like Max Payne 2 with some nicer graphics and fancy physics (bloody Euphoria engine, wondering how it will work here). I'm not a big fan of this New York->Sao Paolo transition, but I hope they'll deliver.
Also this
GeorgW said:
I get the feeling that that cinematic touch to the bullet-time will get old FAST.

chuckey

Oct 9, 2010
I think to say that my excitement level is though the roof. And what's with all this negative talk? I played the old max games and those were fun. I think Rockstar is going to handle this game beautifully.

4RM3D

May 10, 2011
I see Max Payne in the trailer, but it sure as hell doesn't feel like Max Payne... in a bad way.

XT inc

Jul 29, 2009
I hope this all turns out well, but the development team has some mighty big shoes to fill.

The last time we had a max payne game was in 2003, which makes it a 9 year gap between games.

They have a lot to do to bring in a new generation of players since Payne is a far gone memory in the eyes of many gamers, the movie sure as hell did nothing for the brand.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
GeorgW said:
I get the feeling that that cinematic touch to the bullet-time will get old FAST.
Wasn't an issue in the first 2 games.

1) No multiplayer, please

2) They better not make the PC version a shitty console port, because I swear I will go postal. Seeing as the series became popular with the PC crowd and that popularity made it available on consoles, it would be a sin to not make a proper game.

Unfortunately this is Rockstar, the guys who haven't made a decent PC game in quite some time.

Granted Max Payne 2 (Rockstar) still looks and runs great for PC despite how long ago it was released, but that was last generation, and things were different then...

Caffiene

Jul 21, 2010
"We're only putting in things that fit" ... "Oh, and we're working really hard on multiplayer".

*facepalm*

The voiceovers still sound like Max Payne. The action and bullettime still seem like Max Payne... but the kill cams they kept showing dont, they feel like a generic shooter. The setting doesnt look like Max Payne, but I suppose there are ways they could make it fit. And Im not seeing any of the iconography and mythology references that I loved in the first game.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
ok, it does look good and sounds interesting. i will keep an eye on it. but dont have high hopes.

sta697

Mar 31, 2011
it's rockstar so i'm sure they will treat it with the respect the franchise deserves,but shooting was never the strongest part in rockstar games.also why does it have cover you re fucking max

Cyrus Hanley

Oct 13, 2010
This game looks amazing and is definitely reminiscent of the previous games.

I'm glad that they opted for a change in scenery, but also disappointed that Sam Lake isn't involved. :-(

It's good to hear James, err, Max, again. ;-)

Aug 25, 2009
Maybe I'm just hopelessly optimistic, but that looks a hell of a lot like a Max Payne game to me.

There's no reason the addition of a cover mechanic automatically ruins things (Stranglehold) had one after all, and they've yet to deliver a bad Max Payne game, so why should I believe they'll start now?

Pattern recognition works both ways. Yes I know that the next Zelda game will probably be very similar storywise to all the others, but I also know that the gameplay will be solid and flor and etc. The last two Max Payne games were incredibly fun, why shouldn't this one be too?

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008

BALD BALD BALD BALD BALD BALD

lol but that aside...yeah the gameplay at least looks like Max Payne :p hopefully Rockstar pulls this off

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
Really guys? Oh noes, they're adding new features to a sequel!!!

That is all.