Red Cross Investigating Virtual War Crimes

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Red Cross Investigating Virtual War Crimes

The International Committee of the Red Cross may want the rules of the Geneva Convention applied to videogames.

At the 31st meeting of the International Committee of the Red Cross, held this week to discuss many issues in modern combat throughout the world, a smaller panel was convened to discuss videogames and the effect they have on the public. Specifically, the Red Cross investigated several games that depict modern warfare and examined whether the rules of the Geneva Conventions governing protections for wounded soldiers, civilian non-combatants, and prisoners of war should be applied to videogames.

"While the Movement works vigorously to promote international humanitarian law (IHL) worldwide, there is also an audience of approximately 600 million gamers who may be violating IHL in the virtual world," reads the description for the discussion. "Exactly how videogames influence individuals is a hotly debated topic, but for the first time, Movement partners discussed our role and responsibility to take action against violations of IHL in video games."

For those of you unfamiliar with the Geneva Conventions, here's a fifteen second history lesson. The First Geneva Convention was held in the city of Geneva in 1864 and all the major European powers at the time ratified an agreement dictating the engagement of war and guaranteed protections for wounded and sick soldiers. The Convention agreed that medical personnel are protected and soldiers would not be experimented upon or tortured. As war changed, the Convention met three more times and included more nations, the last of which, in 1949, outlined the international humanitarian law that is upheld in all modern warfare today by nearly all nations on the planet. The International Committee of the Red Cross, formed in 1863, organized these conventions and is instrumental in keeping their tenets observed during warfare.

So what does any of this have to do with Modern Warfare 3?

"Participants were asked: 'What should we do, and what is the most effective method?'" continued the description for the discussion. "While National Societies shared their experiences and opinions, there is clearly no simple answer. There is, however, an overall consensus and motivation to take action."

There was also a video "promoting" the event, which seems to draw comparisons between scorekeeping in sports events and scorekeeping in online shooters. [http://www.icrc.org/eng/resources/documents/audiovisuals/video/31-int-conf-ihl-video-games-side-event-video-2011.htm]

While it is certainly worthy of discussion how so many games depicting warfare don't actually uphold the rules of engagement which govern behavior in modern war, I fail to see what the Red Cross can or should do about it. Any attempt to write laws or rules about how war can be portrayed in a game would be doomed to failure. The Geneva Conventions have no jurisdiction over our imaginations or creative works, and The Red Cross cannot dictate whether a movie hero tortures a non-combatant or blows up a bus full of nuns on the way to saving the President of the U.N.

Source: IFRC.org [http://www.ifrc.org/en/news-and-media/meetings-and-events/international-conference1/31st-international-conference-of-red-cross-and-red-crescent/daily2/]

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
I'll say here what I said on the other [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.329038-Serious-Business-Red-Cross-offended-by-videogame-War-Crimes?page=1] thread: When you say something to the tune of "Movement partners discussed our role and responsibility to take action against violations of IHL in video games", you've lost all chances of being taken seriously.

Much bigger fish to fry

ShadowsofHope

Outsider
Nov 1, 2009
lol, you can't commit actual war crimes (you can commit war crimes, but they are within the context of the story you are playing through and characters you are controlling) in video games. By rights of being the protagonist, you are pretty much the exception to the rule in every modern warfare game to exist. That is simply absurd.

I'm pretty sure anyone else sane would agree with me.

Red Cross, I really like you and your services to humanity, but seriously..

(whitty name here)

Apr 20, 2009
So does that mean if developers make the enemy forces a country did not sign the treaty, then there's no problem?

Because if so, that's mighty large loophole. Especially because those countries are usually unspecifiedistan.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
*PROMOTED: CAPTAIN*
Unlocks White Flag and complicated dialogue.

*PROMOTED MAJOR*
Unlocks tedious tribunal proceedings determining whether or not that noob tube kill was sanctioned by the UN

...................Yeah, the rip roaring fun of future shooters people.

theonecookie

Apr 14, 2009
I said it in the first thread and I'll say it again if they can't tell the difference between video games and real life I don't think its gamers with issues

also I think there trying to get laws past which is equally nutty Imagine that that whats next you have to follow the laws of the real world in books and movies its insane

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
What about movies? Or books? I thought the point of a fictional engagement or conflict was that it was FICTIONAL.

John the Gamer

May 2, 2010
Oy! Keep your convention bollocks out of my games! Well, you can try to make it apply, but only if you do it for books, theatre and movies as well. Didn't think so.

So piss off. Go help the Libians, Syrians or the Egyptians or something. They're hurt (and shot) by their own government. Go help 'em. And get of our backs.

Azuaron

Mar 17, 2010
My god! How many novelists have violated the IHL?

And Shindler's List should be banned!

Firia

Sep 17, 2007
Yes, I see... teabagging will be an international offense. Finally someone got my letters.

:p What about "virtual world" (their words) do they not get? It's fiction. Fake. Not real. The same can be said about books, and movies. There's some sick shit in sequenced letters and words. Not to mention in arts and crafts. But video games are somehow more real than these mediums?

Disappointed.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
wooty said:
*PROMOTED: CAPTAIN*
Unlocks White Flag and complicated dialogue.

*PROMOTED MAJOR*
Unlocks tedious tribunal proceedings determining whether or not that noob tube kill was sanctioned by the UN

...................Yeah, the rip roaring fun of future shooters people.
Don't forget getting court martialed and dishonorably discharged! The excitement is palpable...

Bobic

Nov 10, 2009
Makes sense to me.

It's kind of like how the real life police force arrested me for speeding in GTA.

dmase

Mar 12, 2009
Quick hurry up everybody!!! Get your piece of the videogame industry while it's still transitioning to the main stream.

Whytewulf

Dec 20, 2009
Can they not focus on the 100 of real life issues? This really makes no sense, and I am sorry they and for that matter I, wasted time on it.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Welp, I guess that means writers aren't allowed to make dystopian future books anymore, because WAR CRIMES YO.

OldKingClancy

Jun 2, 2011
Dear Red Cross, you guys do a really good job and are heroes for what you do to help others.
BUT.
Please fuck off about video games, they are FICTIONAL events happening to PIXELS. They do not bring harm to anyone and can even be seen as a form of stress relief. Anyone who is influenced by a game to do evil to others was probably fucked in the head to begin with. Not every gamer is like that.
Yours sincerally,
An exasperatted Gamer tired of people shitting on his hobby.

lancar

Aug 11, 2009
While the premise of legislation of our imagination is ridiculous, I DO however see some possibilities for including the IHL in "realistic wargames".
Having it included as optional objectives, with some sort of bonus for doing it, could be beneficial in promoting a healthier mindset.

MetroidNut

Sep 2, 2009
IN A GRIM, DARK WORLD, WHERE ENTIRE COUNTRIES ARE RULED BY VICIOUS WARLORDS THAT RULE THROUGH FEAR AND BRUTALITY...

The Red Cross is targeting fictional war crimes.

Excellent.

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
So, if this goes through, would all of the leading nations of the world have to reconvene in Geneva to have a serious discussion about Teabagging (as I'm pretty sure placing your testicles in the mouth of incapacitated enemy combatant counts as inflicting undue suffering)?