Here's The Skinny On Microsoft's New 360 Update

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Here's The Skinny On Microsoft's New 360 Update

Finally, there are a couple of cool new features specific to gaming: Beacon and the Roaming Profile. Beacon is designed to help you find people to game with, putting out a call (acting like, you know, a beacon) to let your friends know that you're hoping to game with them. The notice will appear on both Xbox Live and Facebook, letting your friends know that you're looking for some folks to play with. From there, your friends can offer to join up with you

Meanwhile, the roaming profile utilizes cloud gaming to allow you to take your Xbox Live account with you on the go: Not only will you be able to log in to your profile on a friend's Xbox, but you'll be able to bring your saved games over to that console, too. The way this all works is that you'll select the cloud as the storage device of choice for your game saves. Exactly how much you can save to the cloud isn't apparent yet, but Microsoft will probably announce a data limit.

Microsoft's Xbox 360 dashboard update is set to launch on Tuesday, December 6th.

Screamarie

Mar 16, 2008
I don't know...this looks cool, but honestly whenever I hear of companies doing stuff like this I just think "okay let's completely trash everything that user is used to and fill it in with new more complicated crap that they don't need but we're gonna find a way to make them want it and then pay for it."

At the same time I could just be cynical. I suppose as long as my gold subscription price doesn't go up, I'll figure it out. And maybe it's just my general misanthropy but...what is it with this social obsession everyone has? Does facebook REALLY have to be available to a person every single nanosecond of there day?

silverbullet1989

Jun 7, 2009
ahhh why is everything changing... first nexus modding site (clusterfuck design) then youtube, facebook is following soon, now xbox dashboard! oh well least it looks okay...ish

Centrophy

Dec 24, 2009
The blades were still better. Sadly, giving the consumer options is a big no-no in walled garden systems. After all, they need to have that space for more ads!

Sucal

Dragonborn Ponyeater
Dec 23, 2009
Why do I have a feeling I'm gonna be doing even more swearing at the xbox. Its bad enough I have to scroll through five bars of kinect and video crap before I can actually get to the gaming I brought the damn console for.

Now they will be adding even more crap?

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
I'm always up for cool new changes to the Xbox Dashboard. Still not gonna get me to buy the Kinect though.
I know the new UI is optimized for Kinect, but I hope it's not too much of an increased hassle for non Kinect users.

The netflix changes look pretty awesome, at the very least.

silverbullet1989

Jun 7, 2009
Jove said:
silverbullet1989 said:
ahhh why is everything changing... first nexus modding site (clusterfuck design) then youtube, facebook is following soon, now xbox dashboard! oh well least it looks okay...ish
Actually i have already seen the new dashboard in person already and theres nothing cluster about it at all. In fact, this change is actually great compared to the other changes from other sites you mentioned. Its more user friendly along with the new things added to it, although it does look similar to the ps3 dashboard...just a little :3.

But overall, for once in a pretty big while, were actually getting great changes. Can't wait for this to go live.
Oh good its nice to hear... but there's always gonna be people who hate when the slightest thing changes... look what happens with facebook every time the smallest thing changes lol

It does look nice, i just hope current game themes continue to work with it, don't suppose you saw anything to do with that did you?

Vie

Nov 18, 2009
So nothing new I have any interest in.

So long as I don't have to use metro too often, e.g. only when changing settings, I guess I can put up with it.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Since I from Portugal I wont be getting most of this stuff. I still dont care for the though.

Riku'sTwilight

Dec 21, 2009
I'm on the beta and I can say that the new dashboard is awesome. It's very fast, very smooth and it's much easier to find stuff, and less cluttered.

And yes, your themes still work perfectly fine.