Cello Wars Is The Best Star Wars Cello Battle You'll Ever See

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Cello Wars Is The Best Star Wars Cello Battle You'll Ever See

It's like "Dueling Banjos" except it's got guys on cellos who can use the force. And Darth Vader on the accordion. It doesn't get much cooler than that.

Say what you want about the Star Wars films - especially the New Trilogy and George Lucas's <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/112701-LucasFilms-Confirms-adding-NOOOOOO-to-Return-of-the-Jedi>constant rejiggering of the Original Trilogy - but a lot of people love John Williams's music. As a result, <a href=https://www.facebook.com/PianoGuys>The Piano Guys have created a cello tribute video called Cello Wars, starring Steven Sharp Nelson in dual roles as a Jedi and Sith cello players. As you can see, the video's a kick in the Jedi robes.

The musical tribute features a number of pieces from Lucas's movies. In order of appearance, the video features "The Imperial March (Empire Strikes Back Theme)", "Duel of the Fates (from Episode 1), "May the Force Be With You", "Star Wars Main Theme", and "Cantina Band" (from Episode 4). While the music is certainly fun to listen to, the video's production was a major undertaking:

A result of 6 months of production...our most ambitious undertaking by far! Why Star Wars Cello? Because of our unending admiration of George Lucas, John Williams, and the most EPIC movies and film score ever created. The idea originated when Tel Stewart was editing [<a href=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ry4BzonlVlw>"The Cello Song"].

As a joke he decided to add light sabers to Steven Sharp Nelson's bow during the outtakes. Fans cried out for more. Al van der Beek and Steven Sharp Nelson storyboarded the song and the video concept while they were scouting locations for [<a href=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRVvFYppU0w&feature=relmfu>"Moonlight"] . But it was Steven Sharp Nelson's son Eli (6) that was the true inspiration for the project -- his enthusiasm for Star Wars, light sabers, and watching his daddy wield one while playing cello fueled the project continually.

As it turns out, The Cello Guys have also released a copy of the song available as a free MP3. You can <a href=http://myve.nu/pianoguyscellowars>download it here.

Source: Geeks Are Sexy

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
That was so freakin' awesome. Did you guys notice how everything Star Wars related that's been made by fans is so much better than anything George Lukas had done in the last 20 years?

godofallu

Jun 8, 2010
I like cellos just as much as the next guy, more probably, but did they really need the beat/techno/trance/whatever blaring in the background for half the video?

I'm trying to listen to the cello duel, not that stupid beat or the sounds of the force lightning/gunshot every 5 seconds.

Still cool though. Preferred smooth criminal though.

Tartarga

Jun 4, 2008
If only he had used his force powers to ask people to stop making "until I took an arrow to the knee" comments instead of something Chuck Norris related, i'm getting tired of seeing them everywhere. On a more related note, that was awesome. The cello is a damn awesome instrument.

Flac00

May 19, 2010
As a fellow cellist, I SALUTE YOU! Now go put on some Yo Yo Ma and talk to me about more awsomesauce

Dec 14, 2009
Now we now why Vader turned to the Dark Side...

[HEADING=1]Y U NO LIKE ACCORDIAN MUSIC! I KILL YOU![/HEADING]

Beryl77

Mar 26, 2010
When Chuck Norris was-
... Anybody knows where I can get some Cello lessons?

Vim-Hogar

Sep 2, 2008
Kinda cool, but somehow lacking. The VFX were well done, but the ideas didn't really keep up. As for the music, the arrangement was good, but the sound they went with was rather lame, in my opinion.

Still, the Darth Vader bit made the whole thing more than worthwhile. :D

Vanbael

Arctic fox and BACON lover
Jun 13, 2009
I have to say, that was well done and I want to see the real stuff done in the sound studio just because I love string instruments. Now if you excuse me, I have to go sign up for cello lessons.

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
Haha! That was pretty silly but still really cool. Really well put together too.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I can somewhat see this working within the Star Wars universe.
The Jedi musician keep their composure but are static while playing while the Sith musician are more wild but also more passionate with their music.

Roofstone

May 13, 2010
These people could play with their buttocks and it would still sound better than it does when I play.

/thundering applause

LobsterFeng

Apr 10, 2011
You know a while ago I was complaining to my friends that some youtubers like RayWilliamJohnson don't deserve all the views they get because there are much more talented people on youtube that deserve more views, and now I have proof to show them what I mean.

Oh and I used to make lame comments about Chuck Norris on Youtube, then I took an arrow to the knee.

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
... Sadly, this was more amusing and immersive than about all of the lightsaber fights in the Prequel Trilogy.

Astiahl

May 2, 2011
Please excuse me while I go nerd all over that wall.

Always liked the original 3 Star Wars movies. And cellos are awesome...Darth Vader is also very Lulzy in this video. :p