U.S. Army Seeks To Test Virtual Soldier A.I. in WoW

Nathan Meunier

Nov 19, 2007
U.S. Army Seeks To Test Virtual Soldier A.I. in WoW

The future is starting to look a heck of a lot scarier. Hasn't anyone seen Terminator?

Reportedly, the U.S. Army is branching out to embrace research into more paranormal aspects of military technology. As part of this unusual initiative, the military hopes to test realistic holographic soldiers in online MMOGs like World of Warcraft and Eve Online, according to the online defense journal DoD Buzz [http://www.dodbuzz.com/2008/11/04/army-tries-holograms-qauntum-computing/].

Among other strange experiments, the army is working on perfecting extremely realistic computer-generated entities that think, emote, and respond to human interaction of their own accord, says Dr. John Parmentola, director of research and laboratory management with the U.S. Army's science and technology office. He said these holographic 3D soldiers could be used for military training simulations and war games. To test the realistic nature of these A.I. soldiers, the army wants to unleash them into World of Warcraft to see how they interact with players.

"I actually interact with virtual humans in terms of asking them questions and they're responding," said Parmentola. "We want to use the massively multi-player online game as an experimental laboratory to see if they're good enough to convince humans that they're actually human."

The article goes on to talk about some creepier military research happening in the areas of memory erasing and implanting, limb regeneration, mind-controlled computing, and other stuff you'd expect to see in the X-Files. It's simultaneously creepy and interesting stuff. Who knows, maybe the next time you're out on a WoW raid not all of your buddies may be controlled by living, breathing beings sitting behind a computer screen.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
So, what, it's Glider with an American Government Stamp of Approval on it and expanded human interactions?

Solo508

Jul 19, 2008
Good luck getting a robot to understand half of the whiney, snot-snosed kids on a sugar rush that inhabit the World of Warcraft. No amount of code will translate half of the shit that some people come out with in that game.

domicius

Apr 2, 2008
An AI that can pass the Turing test, eh? Good luck to them (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turing_test)

backster

Jul 15, 2008
What does it matter if they are human like or not? Can they keep me healed and keep aggro during our hunt for Sarah Conner? Well lets be honest here if the army can get them working perfectly then the 900 lines can actually be automized and more humans will be out of work....till they learn to program and make their own pron droids!

BobisOnlyBob

is Only Bob
Nov 29, 2007
Honestly, the day I see an AI join a guild and go on raids?
That's the level of AI we need. Even if it's programmed ahead of time with certain behaviours and set phrases, as long as it continues to act well in that role...

ianuam

Aug 28, 2008
Hlaf these things they probably developed a while ago and use pretty normally in combat. Just gradual 'letting things out', as they did with the F117-A and B2 aircraft.

xitel

Assume That I Hate You.
Aug 13, 2008
O, why are we training soldier AIs in WoW? When are you going to be training soldiers against AIs developed to fight in WoW? Yes, I realize they are training the ability to emote nd respond to human interaction, but if you train it in WoW they're going to be trained to react to little snot nosed brats that use the new cuss word they learned yesterday as much as they can.

Also, can I point out the use of the term "paranormal aspects" that the military is researching? Does that mean we're going to have ghosts in our army now? Or zombies?

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
Solo508 said:
Good luck getting a robot to understand half of the whiney, snot-snosed kids on a sugar rush that inhabit the World of Warcraft. No amount of code will translate half of the shit that some people come out with in that game.
Agreed! With barely anyone speaking coherent English and speaking volumes with virtually nothing but acronyms (IMO LOL OMG), I can only assume this AI's virtual head will explode.

Rankao

Mar 10, 2008
With the amount of retards and non-English speakers they could easily have the computer pretend English isn't its first language, which is true.

Jursa

Oct 11, 2008
Can blizzard ban the AI? If not, can the A.I. Become the biggest asshole in the game and kill low lvl's all day.

GingerFace

Feb 15, 2008
Hey, isn't getting a computer controlled guy in WoW just the same as botting, and I'm sure that's banned in the EULA or something

lol I'm just waiting for "US army banned from WoW"

dthree

Hey!
Jun 13, 2008
Yeah, you're right GingerFace, it's clearly against the EULA. If they wanted to do it, they should have not publicized it first!

Landslide

Jun 13, 2002
In other news, I kind of have a problem with being a part of military testing without knowledge or consent. What's up with that? That sounds particularly shady to me.

Dechef

Feb 7, 2008
That's good, one step closer to NPC's that are actually smart and don't just stand there when you're being beaten to death right in front of their eyes by a local gang of thugs. >.>
Why World of Warcraft though?