Game of Thrones Screenshots Are Coming

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Game of Thrones Screenshots Are Coming

The world of A Game of Thrones looks grubby, bloody and unpleasant. Excellent.

Let me share a credibility-destroying secret with you, I haven't read George R.R. Martin's A Game of Thrones series and I've only seen half an episode of the seemingly universally adored TV adaptation. This means there will be no wry quips about winter and its impending arrival from me, just screenshots.

[gallery=565]

It certainly looks better than the last Game of Thrones game [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/9169-A-Game-of-Thrones-Genesis-Review]. Everything looks suitably scruffy, with poor complexions and layers of caked-on mud all round. This adaptation is running on the Unreal 3 engine and is set during the events of the books. It's an action-RPG, with the usual leveling and looting one would expect, though the player's party does seem to be capped at two members. According to the press release it'll last around 30 hours and features a handful of likenesses from the HBO TV series. It's being developed by Cyanide Studio, the developer behind Warhammer-based football parody Blood Bowl and umpteen different sports management sims.

Game of Thrones is currently scheduled for release on 360, PS3 and PC in early 2012.

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
Hmm, could be good fun. Thirty hours sounds okay, although I fear I've been rather spoiled by Skyrim to the point that I thought at first "Only thirty hours?"

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
Very dark tones. The series may have been earthy, but it was not limited to the lower third of the value spectrum. If you're trying to accompany the show, at least try to match the looks.

Also, Cyanide is sort of on shaky ground after their last attempt at a GoT game. I will wait for reviews on this one.

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
I couldn't find a single trace of wolves, nudity or Sean Bean in any of those screenshots............are we sure it's a Game of Thrones game???

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
The only problem with this is that almost every western RPG that isn't made by an experienced and proven studio usually sucks. Like, almost all of them.

jurnag12

Nov 9, 2009
Doesn't look too bad, now all we have to do is hope that Cyanide won't mess it up.

Vault101 said:
so whos the main protagonist going to be?
According to earlier info, you'll be following the adventures of 2 guys who travel together, a hedge knight and a brother of the Night's Watch.

Grey Carter said:
Let me share a credibility-destroying secret with you, I haven't read George R.R. Martin's A Game of Thrones series and I've only seen half an episode of the seemingly universally adored TV adaptation.
Heresy!
Seriously though, you should, they're really good.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
jurnag12 said:
Doesn't look too bad, now all we have to do is hope that Cyanide won't mess it up.

Vault101 said:
According to earlier info, you'll be following the adventures of 2 guys who travel together, a hedge knight and a brother of the Night's Watch.

Grey Carter said:
Let me share a credibility-destroying secret with you, I haven't read George R.R. Martin's A Game of Thrones series and I've only seen half an episode of the seemingly universally adored TV adaptation.
Heresy!
so no female role-playing? awwww

I dont know anything about game of thrones but I supose thats excusible if its the kind world where women "generally" arnt going out with swords and such

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
I personally thought these screenshots looks about on par with Dragon Age and Dragon Age looked pretty good back in 2008... I suppose that I've been spoiled by the pretty that is Skyrim and (especially) the Witcher 2.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
Sounds like it could be fun. I just received the first series, but havent watched it yet, looks like it could be my cup of tea though!

Dr.Nick

Mar 26, 2009
Sober Thal said:
New Dragon Age game? (sarcasm)

Sweet!

Set in A Song of Fire and Ice?

Awesome!!

Made by Cyanide Studio?

Meh. I'll have to hope for the best!

EDIT: Don't worry about not reading the books Grey, they go to crap after the first three.
Blood Bowl was pretty good...Cyanide can make some good things.....Then again they didn't really design Blood Bowl since the rules are already made up, they just made it into a computer game :p

CoL0sS

Nov 2, 2010
Reminds me of Witcher (style, not graphics). Anyway, I like the series but I doubt this game will be any good. I might be wrong,(not a lot can be said from 4 screenshots) but I'm really skeptical.

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
Vault101 said:
jurnag12 said:

Vault101 said:

Grey Carter said:
Heresy!
so no female role-playing? awwww

I dont know anything about game of thrones but I supose thats excusible if its the kind world where women "generally" arnt going out with swords and such
It depends a bit on the various cultures in the game.

But if we're talking hedge knights and brothers of the Night's Watch then there should be no women. There are neither female knights (Brienne is not a knight for those who've heard of her and are wondering) nor sisters of the Night's Watch.

In some of the other cultures described there definitely are female warriors though, so there certainly are possibilities for that. Although such warriors would have been ridiculed and generally treated very, very horribly in the region this game seems to be set.

GrandmaFunk

Oct 19, 2009
I think the last blurb I read mentioned the two characters would be a Night's Watchman and an exiled Red Priest.....so something long the lines of 'the adventures of Yoren and Thoros' hehe

cynicalsaint1

Salvation a la Mode
Apr 1, 2010
I haven't read the books - but I watched the HBO series ... and if that's anything to go on - Game of Thrones as an Action-RPG? I'm not seeing it. I mean I get how the series could fit into an RTS but I'm not sure action is really a good fit here.

TheIronRuler

Mar 18, 2011
lithium.jelly said:
Hmm, could be good fun. Thirty hours sounds okay, although I fear I've been rather spoiled by Skyrim to the point that I thought at first "Only thirty hours?"
Don't be alarmed, you're not the only one.
I have been violated by Skyrim, and now consider every other game beneath me... damn you Skyrim!
I really do think that making this series into an action-RPG sort of game is a mistake...

robotam

Jun 7, 2010
There had better be a mission called "Where do whores go?" And a mini game where you Dig for buried treasure in Mole's Town.

Dec 3, 2011
*George R.R Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series, not Game of Thrones series

Anyway... does it cover more than just the first book? Because I can imagine an amazing level for The House of the Undying :)