Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
The story was still better then "russia invades america"

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Worgen said:
It wasn't so much the narrative for me as it was the presentation. It felt like it was trying to be bad in that B-movie sense, but by the very fact that it was noticeable put it in a weird or unpleasant middle ground. The Tremors series is a good example of going from unintended funny to purposeful campy.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
Zombine3D said:
duke 3d was never like sam1
yeah it was completely different, but the thing is that First Encounter's Sam himself was supposed to be a copy of Duke, like, the character look and stuff
but nowadays it's mostly because Sam attempted a different approach to what Duke Nukem Forever tried to do, which was combining both oldschool and modern styles of FPS
Duke did it well, but not in the mechanics side, as it did bring back humor, tongue-in-cheek moments and overall concept like aliens and stuff, it's just that technical side of it didn't work out properly

also, I find ironic how people complain that Duke Nukem Forever had too few enemies on screen in comparison to Duke Nukem 3D
when Duke Nukem 3D also had about 2-4 enemies on screen except for the swarms of critters
it's basically the same thing, but with clunkier controls

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Slycne said:
Worgen said:
It wasn't so much the narrative for me as it was the presentation. It felt like it was trying to be bad in that B-movie sense, but by the very fact that it was noticeable put it in a weird or unpleasant middle ground. The Tremors series is a good example of going from unintended funny to purposeful campy.
You could be right there, the main line that sticks out like a sore thumb to me is "I cant believe I gotta do this shit on my birth day, I should be out doing blow off a stippers ass" that line definitely reeks of trying too hard but for the most of it, for me it felt like a logical story progression of the kind of shooters the game is based on, I mean back in the day the only story you really got was a small page of it in the instructions and the rest was just you making up your own story for killing demons from hell in space.

Char-Nobyl

May 8, 2009
Slycne said:
Serious Sam 3: BFE Review

No cover, all review.

Read Full Article
Good to know. It sounds like 'Serious Sam' is being both faithful to its roots and managing to out-Nukem 'Duke Nukem.' I'm mostly just disappointed that DNF sales are almost assuredly going to be stronger than sales for this game.

Interesting observation that it's the holographic-sighted assault rifle that's the least satisfying weapon to use, though the only real downside that I can see is that it looks like most of the weapons are...well, normal. The rocket launcher looks fancy enough, and the minigun is a staple of any crowd-control shooter, but as someone who had played 'Painkiller' before even knowing ZP existed (I hate myself for how hipster that sounds), I know that you can make a diverse set of weapons that are satisfying to use.

The game is going through all the right motions, but when I compare this to my memory of 'Serious Sam 2,' it feels like the game is trying more to be a parody of recent war shooters than it is being a 'Serious Sam' game.

Still, those are complaints of unused potential, not on the substance at hand. Clouse's review sounds spot-on.

keiskay

Nov 18, 2011
Char-Nobyl said:
Slycne said:
Serious Sam 3: BFE Review

No cover, all review.

Read Full Article
Good to know. It sounds like 'Serious Sam' is being both faithful to its roots and managing to out-Nukem 'Duke Nukem.' I'm mostly just disappointed that DNF sales are almost assuredly going to be stronger than sales for this game.

Interesting observation that it's the holographic-sighted assault rifle that's the least satisfying weapon to use, though the only real downside that I can see is that it looks like most of the weapons are...well, normal. The rocket launcher looks fancy enough, and the minigun is a staple of any crowd-control shooter, but as someone who had played 'Painkiller' before even knowing ZP existed (I hate myself for how hipster that sounds), I know that you can make a diverse set of weapons that are satisfying to use.

The game is going through all the right motions, but when I compare this to my memory of 'Serious Sam 2,' it feels like the game is trying more to be a parody of recent war shooters than it is being a 'Serious Sam' game.

Still, those are complaints of unused potential, not on the substance at hand. Clouse's review sounds spot-on.
you should only compare it the first two sam games. TFE and TSE, both games had for the most part normal looking weapons. they were just more classical looking. many of us sam fans dont consider SS2 to be a real sam game since it was so different and not the same.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Good review, game is tons of fun and knows what makes the game fun. Lots of enemies, lots of guns, tons of fun.
But you forgot to mention one key thing with Serious Sam BFE your review, it has split screen multiplayer on the PC! Not only is it very rare for it to have split screen on PC but it does up to 4 players and it opens a lot of options when you can sit down and play with friends.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Char-Nobyl said:
Certainly they are not as fanciful as Painkillers X combined with Y arsenal, but even the simply fare of shotgun and sledgehammer just feel a lot more fun to kill with than the assault rifle. The actual gigantic cannonball firing cannon and the minion piercing grenade sniper devastator are by no means mundane however.

Zulnam said:
When's the console release date? Seems interesting.
Currently it's too be announced, but the devs have mentioned it's one of their main focuses now that it's shipped for PC.

internetzealot1 said:
Does anyone know how long the campaign is?
Somewhere around the 15 hour mark on first play through, give or take a few hours depending on the player and difficulty.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Point of review is accomplished! I had no interest in this game before this review, but now, seeing some of those screens, and feeling my heart start to beat faster and my adrenaline increase from the fast, frantic, frenetic display you just showed us, I'm going to have to give this a go, when it comes to consoles. Some of those bosses looked amazing.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Man, seeing you play looked like serious fun! I've still got to play through the first SS, but after that I'm probably seriously getting this.

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
It's not terribly constructive but the main thing I took from the video segment is:

'AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH!!'

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
As of the time I am writing this, I have logged over 12 some odd hours in Serious Sam 3, ran through 16 player co-op on Serious and Mental, beaten the game several times, and have proceeded to desecrate every square inch of fictional Egypt.

Serious Sam 3 is worth every penny. This is a game, designed first and foremost, for PC gamers, and goddamn, it feels good to play a game where developers actually give a damn about your audience. One look at the options menu pretty much confirmed that.

Always Bet on Sam.

Oh, and by the way, be sure to adjust the color options. Makes the game look WAY better.

Why more developers don't do this shit is beyond me.

archvile93

Sep 2, 2009
Those headless Kamakazis seem incredibly annoying, but not for the reasons I'd like. First, how do the scream without heads? Second, do the ever shut up? Hearing that as often as it seems like the player will would really grate on me.

sneeky033

dAT cAPSLOCK
Dec 1, 2009
archvile93 said:
Those headless Kamakazis seem incredibly annoying, but not for the reasons I'd like. First, how do the scream without heads? Second, do the ever shut up? Hearing that as often as it seems like the player will would really grate on me.
The headless kamikaze scream is one of the trademarks of the series. And I hope they don't stop screaming, or how would the player know which way they were coming from?