Resident Evil Mansion Rebuilt In Halo: Reach

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Resident Evil Mansion Rebuilt In Halo: Reach

So, does that make the house itself a zombie?

An industrious, frighteningly dedicated fan, using the nom de internet "Cryptic," has built a wildly detailed, to-scale recreation of the mansion from Capcom's original Resident Evil within the Halo: Reach level editor.

He explains:

My idea to recapture the essence of the Spencer Mansion in Halo has existed since Halo 2, which became an actual goal during Halo 3. For all I knew before Reach came out, this recreation had to compliment the original in every way in order for me to be satisfied. I've been constructing this map as a 1:1 remake, followed by its series of Infection gametypes I like to label as "Survival Infection," for over a year now; Pretty much since the release of Reach.

And how did his efforts pan out? As you can see in that video walkthrough embedded at top-right, aside from the necessarily lacking textures of the original game, the new mansion is a dead-ringer for the original.

("Dead-ringer." Get it? Because, y'know, zombies and stuff?)

While I have to commend Mr. Cryptic on his attention to detail -- seriously, that layout is just spot-on -- the actual tour of the mansion redux only serves as a reminder that the environment, when taken by itself, isn't all that frightening.

As it stands, this is merely an excellent call-back to a seminal moment in gaming history. Not "perfect," mind you. That would require half-rotted dogs leaping through the windows and at least one Master of Unlocking.

I suppose, if you're willing to settle for simple excellence, you might want to have a look at the mansion's ForgeHub page [http://www.forgehub.com/forum/reach-casual-maps/134199-spencer-mansion.html] which offers full details on the map, the Resident Evil-inspired gametypes that go along with it and how you can download all of the above.

Just try to hide your disappointment when you discover the striking lack of inexplicable basement-dwelling sharks.

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
Aw man. Badass. I hope 343i can integrate this into matchmaking for the living dead playlist... The map totally deserves it.

FrancoDHorse

Mar 9, 2010
Are there other Halo Reach replica maps? I really love the Spencer mansion. I wonder if there are other replicas from other games. (i.e. a Pokemon stadium, part of Shadow Moses, etc)

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
my friend and I made a giant ship that shoots at us...good explosive fun :p

Halo 3 and Reach make me wish more games had a proper Theater mode =.= esp for those rare moments of pure awesome in the occasional CoD or BF match :[

Cryptic Sin

Dec 6, 2011
I made this for two kinds of people. Halo's Resi fans, Resident Evil's Halo fans... and nobody else. Some people should keep that in mind from here on out. ;)

Just created a social group on Bungie if any fellow hardcore Halo Infection fans want a piece of some custom game action on this pet project of mine. Possibly more to come in the future for the next Halo installment, too. (Search 'Social Infection' group on Bnet.) I want to form a little community around this. Not the map itself, but the type of gameplay I created for it. I'm a little less than happy with what Infection is in the Halo community.

And Earnest... It's actually pretty frightening when there's an actual match going on, my friend. ;) Thanks for the coverage here. Much love.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
This puts my weekend spent placing random teleporters and simple "zones" around forge world in a bout of nostalgia for the original stargate film and the discovery that placing teleporters on the same channel causes them to randomise to complete and utter shame.

I tried to make a raccon city once. It didn't end well.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Matthew94 said:
Inb4jillsandwich
inb4masterofunlocking

Hey where's barry?

OT This makes me hope the rumours are true and windows 8 will allow us to play 360 games on PC.
Erm... what? What does multi-platform compatibility have anything to do with a level editor?

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Matthew94 said:
Raiyan 1.0 said:
Matthew94 said:
Inb4jillsandwich
inb4masterofunlocking

Hey where's barry?

OT This makes me hope the rumours are true and windows 8 will allow us to play 360 games on PC.
Erm... what? What does multi-platform compatibility have anything to do with a level editor?
Because I don't have an xbox and if this came to W8 I could play the level on my PC.

I thought that would be really obvious.
Oh. It's just feels so... unnatural... that a PC gamer is for once not trashing the Halo franchise when talking about it. So excuse me for it just never crossed my mind. :p

And yeah, I rather liked the first Halo (the hybrid health system was absolutely fine and there was more enemy variety than today's standard gunman-that-goes-down-after-two-shots) and wouldn't mind trying out Reach on my PC, if only for the space bits. I wonder how it has evolved?