Rumor: Ubisoft Might Be Making A Wii U MMO

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Rumor: Ubisoft Might Be Making A Wii U MMO

Is Ubisoft's first Wii U game going to be an MMO. A recent batch of job listings hints that it's a strong possibility.

Right now, most game companies are staying rather quiet about what projects they're working on for Nintendo's Wii U console. That said, clues are starting to surface about what Ubisoft's got planned for the system, and the early signs point to a pretty big MMO.

Yesterday, Emile Gauthier <a href=https://twitter.com/#!/emilegauthier/status/143719963339915265>tweeted the following message, along with a link to Ubisoft's Facebook page, which contained some job listings: "Ubisoft Quebec is working on a NEW AAA MMORPG Game and we need people to fill these very strategic positions."

The job listings, meanwhile, included the following positions:

Senior Engine Programmer - Wii U - AAA title
Quebec - Full Time

Network Programmer - Wii U - AAA title
Quebec - Full Time

TOOLS PROGRAMMER - AAA MMO
Quebec - Full Time

There are also some slightly older positions for MMO jobs, like an animation director and gameplay programmer for an MMO.

As a result of these job openings, the Internet Rumor Mill is starting to work itself into a fury. It's certainly possible that these positions could have been listed for work on the same project, or they could be totally unrelated. Even if Ubisoft isn't working on a Wii U MMO, that means it's got a couple of unannounced - and big - projects in the works.

Source: Massively

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
I'm amazed that the Wii U has the specs for an MMO. I'm not expecting it to be Guild Wars scale, but even so.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
ResonanceSD said:
I'm amazed that the Wii U has the specs for an MMO. I'm not expecting it to be Guild Wars scale, but even so.
Well seeing as it's going to have roughly the same specs as an Xbox and most mmo's are designed to run on dual core systems with no video, this isn't too surprising.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
Waaghpowa said:
ResonanceSD said:
Well seeing as it's going to have roughly the same specs as an Xbox and most mmo's are designed to run on dual core systems with no video, this isn't too surprising.

Most of the performance issues with online games have to do with networking specs and connectivity of a machine, rather than technical specs. I'm still not convinced that console chipsets, least of all the wii U have sufficient capability in this space.

Frizzle

Nov 11, 2008
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
Waaghpowa said:
ResonanceSD said:
Where are people getting this information from? The revealed specs put the Wii U several generations of tech ahead of both the 360 and the PS3. Both those consoles have already proven themselves capable of running MMOs. Jesus, the original Xbox had Phantasy Star: Online, and the PS2 got to play Final Fantasy XI. If the PS2 had the tech to run an MMO, why is it so surprising that a new console with more advanced tech should be able to as well?
This man does have a point. Hell even things like WoW can run on my 7 year old macbook pro. Granted it's old tech, but I for one don't really expect any Nintendo system to knock my socks off with visuals.

Apr 5, 2008
ResonanceSD said:
A few points:

- The PS3 has had DC Universe Online for a while now.
- Phantasy Star Online is a very old console MMO from I don't even remember what era, it was so long ago
- MMOs generally have considerably lower entry requirements/minimum spec than offline or standard multiplayer games. This is because almost all of them try to cater to mass market and the "average desktop PC" is usually what they aim for for acceptable performance.
- The only technical requirement for an MMO is an Internet enabled device, beyond the ability to load the game. Other than that, developers can code for as high or as low a spec as they wish. Although with the fixed, consistent hardware of a console, this is much easier.
- Lastly, the Wii U, from what I understand of it will be considerably higher spec than any current gen console. Which isn't particularly difficult considering current gen consoles use what is by today's standards, ancient hardware. Apart from BluRay, and the latest 250GB internal drives.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Waaghpowa said:
ResonanceSD said:
What makes you think that? It's not true at all. It will be significantly newer tech.

I think this is just because it's an HD system and people are expecting some kinds of leaps and bounds out a new generation console, which isn't going to happen anytime soon. Graphic technology has barely moved since the current generation of consoles, even on the PC. Though, the PC does blow away the current consoles with DX11 and all that. Also, the graphics card is going to be a DX11 generation of card, so that should melt the competition.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
Nintendo doesn't have a good track record in the least when it comes to anything online...let alone an MMO. This will be a major test to see if they can be taken seriously by the 'hardcore' gamers.

Hopefully they adopt the Guild Wars non-subscription model.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
Waaghpowa said:
ResonanceSD said:
Where are people getting this information from? The revealed specs put the Wii U several generations of tech ahead of both the 360 and the PS3. Both those consoles have already proven themselves capable of running MMOs. Jesus, the original Xbox had Phantasy Star: Online, and the PS2 got to play Final Fantasy XI. If the PS2 had the tech to run an MMO, why is it so surprising that a new console with more advanced tech should be able to as well?
I'm well aware of the existance of console mmo's, and I did say that I'm not too surprised. I think you're directing that post to someone else.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/328318/wii-u-tech-specs-leaked-via-japanese-developer/

That is where I remember reading it was going to be similar to an Xbox, granted that was quite some time ago so I may have forgotten that it refers to the cpu being similar to the Xbox. Excuse me for not following so closely.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Baresark said:
Waaghpowa said:
ResonanceSD said:
What makes you think that? It's not true at all. It will be significantly newer tech.

I think this is just because it's an HD system and people are expecting some kinds of leaps and bounds out a new generation console, which isn't going to happen anytime soon. Graphic technology has barely moved since the current generation of consoles, even on the PC. Though, the PC does blow away the current consoles with DX11 and all that. Also, the graphics card is going to be a DX11 generation of card, so that should melt the competition.
Sorry for not following the Wii u so closely, but the initial reports on it's tech specs is what I was basing on. I haven't cared much enough to keep up to date. I only just not read that they're using DX11.

And for anyone who is confused, I am NOT surprised about the existence of a console based mmo coming for the Wii u.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
ResonanceSD said:
Waaghpowa said:
ResonanceSD said:

Most of the performance issues with online games have to do with networking specs and connectivity of a machine, rather than technical specs. I'm still not convinced that console chipsets, least of all the wii U have sufficient capability in this space.
I suppose you're right. Networking wise consoles have been pretty poor in my opinion. Though they could do it, just quality wise might be meh. I heard DC Universe was poor on the PS3, not sure in what respect though seeing as I haven't played it.