Bethesda Celebrates Fallout 3 Success, Ships 4.7 Million Copies

Jared Rea

Aug 11, 2008
Bethesda Celebrates Fallout 3 Success, Ships 4.7 Million Copies

With $300 million in sales, top of the UK charts and accolades to spare, it's a good time to be Bethesda.

When critics like our very own worldwide success [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/5419-Review-Fallout-3].

Fallout 3, which was released on the PC, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 platforms on October 30, has generated sales in excess of $300 million. While the official numbers for US sales have not yet been made available, Fallout's UK success has already been documented, having rocketed to the top of the charts not only for individual platforms, but total sales as well.

So far, 4.7 million copies of Fallout 3 have been shipped to retailers worldwide across all three platforms. This is quite an achievement for the developer considering that its last major release, The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (PC, Xbox 360), only managed to ship about 1.7 million copies after three weeks of release.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
Congratulations, Bethesda. I'm having a (nuclear) blast with Fallout 3 and I'm glad you guys (and nearly five million others) are too. Well done!

-- Steve

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
I would like to take the time to say that Bethesda did NOT do all this DRM crap, made a solid game, and generated this excellent amount of sales.

So to EA: Shut up. Make a good game for once.

And to Bethesda: Way to go! I love Fallout 3, and will for quite some time! Great game!

Rankao

Mar 10, 2008
I bought the game through Steam and I will tell you this game is worth every penny, its got awesome replay value and hopefully if they release mod tools it will have endless replay value.

Jhereg42

Apr 11, 2008
I've had a hard time putting this one down. They managed to stay true to the Fallout tradition while at the same time crafting a new experience. I think this gets several GOTY nods.

rougeknife

Jan 2, 2008
Baby Tea said:
I would like to take the time to say that Bethesda did NOT do all this DRM crap, made a solid game, and generated this excellent amount of sales.
It should be remembered that a lot of the sales where on the other platforms, but yes, one of the lovely things about it is that it had no DRM. And it alt tabs beautifully, they should put that on the box?.

Bethesda, you are one of the last great developers left from my childhood, alongside Valve... and that?s pretty much it, all the others have tanked or have sold out (in a bad way)

These sales are a testament to Bethesda?s skill in game design, creating possibly the most immersive would I?ve ever encountered. Morrowind is my most loved game of all time, and since Daggerfall I?ve only known Bethesda to produce quality. Fallout3 is just another in the line of great games.

I don?t want a waterfall effect, a torrent of mediocre games released frequently. I just want one good game whenever it?s ready, don?t care how long it takes.

Congratulations Bethesda, leave the arena now, and rest. You?ve earned it!
(I can?t believe I just said that)

Lt. Sera

Apr 22, 2008
rougeknife said:
And it alt tabs beautifully, they should put that on the box?.
Really? I can't seem to alt tab at all.

Other issues I ran across:

- Constant freezing, 'solved' by not playing it anymore on that machine.
- Radio music audio glitching: Not the intended noise, but actual glitching. Since it fits with the setting I don't mind it too much but it's still annoying.
- Unable to enter console. Some problem with an IR driver if I understand it right, but the suggested fix doesn't work.
- People randomly dieing due to buggy pathfinding. I would resurrect them using the console.. but see above.
- Performance loss when using VATS, it just doesn't run as smooth as it should.

Despite all those things, I still absofuckinglutely love this game. They hit the mark, did pretty much everything right (levelling,looks,atmosphere,dialogue) and definitely deserve the sales they're getting.

rougeknife

Jan 2, 2008
Lt. Sera said:
rougeknife said:

- Radio music audio glitching: Not the intended noise, but actual glitching. Since it fits with the setting I don't mind it too much but it's still annoying.
- Unable to enter console. Some problem with an IR driver if I understand it right, but the suggested fix doesn't work.
- People randomly dieing due to buggy pathfinding. I would resurrect them using the console.. but see above.

Despite all those things, I still absofuckinglutely love this game. They hit the mark, did pretty much everything right (levelling,looks,atmosphere,dialogue) and definitely deserve the sales they're getting.
Ah, the gremlins of PC gaming... Bugs and inconsistency between rigs. Maybe that?s why its not on the box :)

Even with bugs, a good game will have people powering through it. For example, A mate of mine had no issues with Clear Sky, yet I had over 50 Blue Screens of Death (I counted, actually it was 10 blue and 44 red, plus around 25 crashes to desktop)

Still didn?t stop me.

Thankfully, I haven't had an issue with Fallout3, however I did once bug the game so that GNR was playing while I was alt-tabbed once...

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
Think those figues show, amoung other things, guns & apocalypse generate better sales than high medieval fantasy :-D

Wombats

Oct 3, 2008
Bethesda's loving care in making games + The strongest IP in rpgs = Can't go wrong.

Glad to see they've left the silly name - fest of Elder Scrolls behind.

Can't wait to see what else they take on now they have their well deserved success.

For the record, I have had one screen freeze and seen no other bugs.
Time you spend whinging here about bugs is time you are not on their tech forum figuring out how to fix it. Or just buy an XBox?

Novajam

Apr 26, 2008
Well done to Bethesda. Really, they've learnt a lot from their ventures with Oblivion.

However, a patch would be nice. I've had a couple of unlootable corpses, and two crashes shortly after wild model flailing. Plus some clipping, and the guy who runs the water plant in Megaton has disappeared off the face on the earth by the looks of things.

Apart from that, spectacular game.

Elurindel

Dec 12, 2007
Well, I've been cautious about buying Fallout 3, but methinks I'll order it for christmas. I just hope it runs smoothly on my rig, as it's starting to show its age. Plus, if there are any glaring issues, they may have released a patch by then ^_^

lawdjayee

Dec 13, 2007
Also wanted to add kudos. Some of the detail in the game is outstanding in its complete superfluousness. For example: I ran into a group of raiders beating on a poor fellow. They didn't see me, so I watched. They were jumping him into the gang. Very immersive.

ThePlasmatizer

Sep 2, 2008
rougeknife said:
Lt. Sera said:
rougeknife said:

Ah, the gremlins of PC gaming... Bugs and inconsistency between rigs. Maybe that?s why its not on the box :)

Even with bugs, a good game will have people powering through it. For example, A mate of mine had no issues with Clear Sky, yet I had over 50 Blue Screens of Death (I counted, actually it was 10 blue and 44 red, plus around 25 crashes to desktop)

Still didn?t stop me.

Thankfully, I haven't had an issue with Fallout3, however I did once bug the game so that GNR was playing while I was alt-tabbed once...
Every copy console or pc alike had numerous glitches and bugs.

I thought it was a great game and I enjoyed the gameplay a lot but it was released in an unfinished state, expect multiple patchs on the way.

RYjet911

May 11, 2008
It's kinda funny, I really can't stand the game the moment I get out of Vault 101... Everything I hated about Oblivion smacks me straight in the face the moment I do.

I hear so many good things about it, but it's just awful to play for me...

Rooster Cogburn

May 24, 2008
My complaints aside, Bethesda is the only one out there making open-world RPGs. And they do it well.

Unless there is something I don't know about- in which, please enlighten me! I'm dieing for more games like that. Still waiting for The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind 2.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
I've just reached a fight scene in the ruins of the Capitol Dome, and I'm going to end it with a Fat Man. Any game that lets me nuke Congress to solve a problem has an extra frisson, non?

-- Steve

edited to add: And to our new friends arriving courtesy of ECHELON [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ECHELON], I bid you welcome and request you read this in the context of the entire thread...