The Metagame

Encaen

May 6, 2005
The Metagame

How do you prepare your deck to meet an unknown enemy?

Read Full Article

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
I wouldn't know, I haven't played the physical game in so long. Mainly DotP is what I play.

fanklok

Legendary Table User
Jul 17, 2009
Where did this article come from, why didn't any one tell me about it, and why does it seem it doesn't actually say anything about anything?

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
I quit playing after the Ravnica block went out of style, but this type of deck was my favorite of all time.
http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/deck.asp?deck_id=555118

Straight up Mill deck, force players to discard repeatedly.

Encaen

May 6, 2005
fanklok said:
Where did this article come from, why didn't any one tell me about it, and why does it seem it doesn't actually say anything about anything?
I started last week with an introduction [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/hexproof/9241-Hexproof-Introduction], if you care to check it out. The purpose here is not to delve too deeply into the subject, but to make concepts more accessible to new players, while still trying to touch on topics that will interest more advanced Magic players!

amaranth_dru said:
I quit playing after the Ravnica block went out of style, but this type of deck was my favorite of all time.
http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/deck.asp?deck_id=555118

Straight up Mill deck, force players to discard repeatedly.
I miss serious Mill decks sometimes, though they seem to be bringing some of it back in Innistrad with Laboratory Maniac [http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=221186] if you want to go with a "mill yourself" strategy instead.

godofallu

Jun 8, 2010
We told you your deck was bad BEFORE THE TOURNAMENT. You can't come in with the next article and be all like, "oh I had no idea I would lose so soundly, I blame the metagame." It wasn't the metagame, it was a bad deck and a pilot who refused to make any changes.

I get that we have a novice writing the articles, but couldn't we at least have a novice who attempts to perfect himself and his deck? You should have started with the list of the deck you ran in the tourney, and the tweaks you made before entering since last article.

Smokescreen

Dec 6, 2007
Of the people I regularly play, anything goes; there is no set deck, merely interests. One person tends toward weird decks, especially when they remove the opponent's library from the game, another tends to prefer midrange, resilient decks like zombies. Others are still getting a handle on what they like, so may play anything--but very little resembles a defined deck.

ZeZZZZevy

Apr 3, 2011
A great way of getting an idea of your local metagame for a certain format is to look at what decks are successful at the moment, since a lot of people use what seems to be working well (Delver decks in particular are probably going to get more popular because hey, the card is good enough for legacy, which gets the attention of people playing in standard)

Also I forget where I heard this but when building a certain deck you have to ask yourself what you're trying to beat, or what you can beat. Don't just say: "well I'm aggro so I will beat control" because that's not necessarily true. You should also look towards other decks and think what your deck is weak against, and prepare accordingly.

Love the article so far, keep up the great work!

Encaen

May 6, 2005
godofallu said:
We told you your deck was bad BEFORE THE TOURNAMENT. You can't come in with the next article and be all like, "oh I had no idea I would lose so soundly, I blame the metagame." It wasn't the metagame, it was a bad deck and a pilot who refused to make any changes.

I get that we have a novice writing the articles, but couldn't we at least have a novice who attempts to perfect himself and his deck? You should have started with the list of the deck you ran in the tourney, and the tweaks you made before entering since last article.
I did mention in the comments last week that the deck was a Invisible Stalker [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/6.328407-Hexproof-Introduction#13378544]s aren't seeing competitive play. Mission Accomplished!

As to what changed, the only significant change was swapping Royal Assassin [http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=214065] doesn't get any love these days, but I kept him around after a close match against Illusions where he really got to shine.

Finally, I hope to get to a place where decklists and tournament preparation is viable content for an article, but right now I'm trying to make sure that everybody speaks the same language. Once we've laid the groundwork here, I think we'll be in a better position to really get into the nitty gritty like that!

DuelLadyS

Aug 25, 2010
My metagame (currently consisting of a group of friends) is pretty damn aggro heavy. One person has a bit of a control thing going on, and my fiance aims to combo whenever he can, but aggro pretty much rules the roost. All my decks are aggro variants.

This is interesting timing for me, becuase my fiance has been bugging me to help him 'make his deck stronger'- he uses mono black removals like Doom Blade and vampire synergy and usually takes the win. I told him I can't help becuase he's beating all of us, and he really needs to get to a FNM and break out of our metagame to really see the kinks he's got to work out. (As for me, I'm looking for counter cards in colors other than blue to deal with those Doom blades, since it seems to be the worst I've got to deal with.)

BaronFelX

Mar 18, 2010
Ah, man, I haven't played in a meaningful way in years. The comic book shop I used to play in had all sorts of stuff from basically every printing of MtG, so I saw a lot of cool ideas. Coming from that background, I'm glad this column seems to approach Magic from the long view, rather than the Standard-only Friday Night Magic concept that WotC keeps pushing.

A word on control decks, though: if you run it, have a plan to actually win. I used to see quite a few decks run Winter Orb [http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=159277] and Icy Manipulator [http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=249384], and my local metagame with them reached a point where I had to insulate all my decks with non-land mana generators, including my all-time favorite, Darksteel Ingot [http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=247200]. But one day, I played with a kid who thought he was being clever with his Winter/Icy combo, but forgot to put in a victory condition. We went through turn after turn, draw after draw, with nothing of importance ever happening. I kept waiting for him to pull out something to complete his win, but I think he drew nearly his entire deck and never pulled out anything. Longest and worst game I've ever played.

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
I tend to use standard decks against various extended or modern decks.

It puts me at a disadvantage most of the time.

That being said... Yesterday my Eldrazi green got a T3 Primeval Titan which lead to a T5 Emekrul which, of course, won the game.

Here's my Eldrazi Deck:

http://www.mtgdeckbuilder.net/Decks/ViewDeck/299153

Lands:
1 Eye of Ugin
4 Eldrazi Temple
4 Mystifying Maze
3 Khalni Garden
10 Forest

22 Lands

Creatures:
2 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
1 It That Betrays
1 Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre
1 Kozilek, Butcher of Truth
4 Wall of Tanglecord
4 Overgrown Battlement
2 Pathrazer of Ulamog
2 Wurmcoil Engine
1 Primeval Titan
1 Artisan of Kozilek
4 Llanowar Elves
4 Joraga Treespeaker

27 Creatures

Other Spells:
4 Explore
4 Summoning Trap
2 Eldrazi Conscription
1 Quicksilver Amulet

11 Other Spells

Encaen

May 6, 2005
DuelLadyS said:
My metagame (currently consisting of a group of friends) is pretty damn aggro heavy. One person has a bit of a control thing going on, and my fiance aims to combo whenever he can, but aggro pretty much rules the roost. All my decks are aggro variants.

This is interesting timing for me, becuase my fiance has been bugging me to help him 'make his deck stronger'- he uses mono black removals like Doom Blade and vampire synergy and usually takes the win. I told him I can't help becuase he's beating all of us, and he really needs to get to a FNM and break out of our metagame to really see the kinks he's got to work out. (As for me, I'm looking for counter cards in colors other than blue to deal with those Doom blades, since it seems to be the worst I've got to deal with.)
I couldn't agree more with your sentiment. Once you've found a deck that does well locally, you just need to expand your circle! FNM is a great place to start if he's looking for ways to improve his deck outside of his normal play group.

Now for dealing with Doom Blade, have you considered Autumn's Veil [http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=194208] can be pretty potent against Black removal as well.

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
BaronFelX said:
/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=247200]Darksteel Ingot[/url]. But one day, I played with a kid who thought he was being clever with his Winter/Icy combo, but forgot to put in a victory condition. We went through turn after turn, draw after draw, with nothing of importance ever happening. I kept waiting for him to pull out something to complete his win, but I think he drew nearly his entire deck and never pulled out anything. Longest and worst game I've ever played.
How did he not have a 1/1 beating you in the face while you sat there doing nothing?

Edit:

If you're playing green and you want pro black, autumn's veil isn't bad, but I'd prefer something like ranger's guile or vines of ashwood.

Giving your creature hexproof till end of turn saves them just as much as giving them pro color, and it is more utilitarian.

Though I wouldn't mind some autumn's veils sideboard for counters.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
This is really why when it comes to tournaments I only go for Draft or sometimes Sealed. I had a really nice white/equipment deck until they phased out World Wake and Eldrazi. It could hold its own within the decks in my circle of friends, but I wouldn't trust it in an actual tournament. It's gotten to the point where if you're not using one of the top 5 decks (and actually know how to use it) at the moment then you don't have a snowball's chance in hell of winning.

Maybe I'm just saying this because when I was first introduced to Magic I was 11 or 12 and the only decks I ever made were pretty much creature beat-down decks regardless of what color I was using, just seems to me that there's not much actual choice in the matter when it comes to building a deck. When a new expansion comes out, it seems like everyone already knows what cards they're looking for to build the ultimate deck and if you just try to pick and choose "home made" combos you're going to lose.

BaronFelX

Mar 18, 2010
Draconalis said:
How did he not have a 1/1 beating you in the face while you sat there doing nothing?
By the time the combo arrived, I already had a smattering of creatures and some non-land mana sources in play. Every time I was able to squeak something out, he's manage to use all his resources to keep me from making and progress and we'd revert to our stalemate. He really had the "control" part down pat, he just didn't have anywhere to go once he controlled the board.

Rouzeki

Feb 11, 2009
Its a bit of a mess where I'm at. most of the time, its just me and my Fiancee, and she runs hard mono-green ramps as well as mono-green spirits (kamigawa), and tribal elf. she also dabbles in mono-white and red, backed by plainswalkers for nearly all the decks.

Generally speaking I don't outright prepare for her decks, I just build what I can with what I can scrounge... that stated when my goblin grenade less mono-red smacked into her Nissa Revane as it pumped her up over 30...

that stated, the win rates still a bit even, as my mono-blue mill, my mono-blue aggro (with illusions), my UB zombie (innistrad), and Tribal Human decks tend to do well. for excitements sake, it tends to be a "fight fire with fire" approach. while my mill deck works, its not as exciting most of the time, at least for her. So as of late ive opted to fight aggro with aggro. 42 damage inspired charges!!!

nothing quite like just narrowly losing a match after milling your opponent down to 1-3 cards. we had to catch our breath after that.

well, that was a tangent. really I don't prep for decks I'm not sure of. i just dive in and play it by ear based on what I can gather. usually speaking I'm playing blue, so I have a bit of catch room, assuming I play smart with the CS. but I'm not exactly that sharp so i still tend to fail. i need to get out more, let my myrs roll around.

messy

Dec 3, 2008
I've only played Magic a few times, using a friends blue and white deck, and it was of the ramp variety. I really liked playing it actually and might have to get into properly one of these days, to be honest I just love looking at the cards. No trading cards are that well designed

EDIT: I also used to a Hellbent deck. That was awesome, hit hard and fast. But then again it wasn't my deck so it may have been technically control. I think it evolved destroying everything with a demon puppet of some kind...

ElectroJosh

Aug 27, 2009
For years and years I played magic with one other friend. We knew others who played and, from time to time, would play against a few others. Sometimes we would find our decks were quite devastating and other times useless. The fact that we only trialed new decks against each other meant we never really knew what we were getting into with new opponents.

I have always wondered about playing in a tournament - but all the restrictions on cards and sets has seemed too overly complex for my casual interest in the game. Is Cursed Scroll (one of my favorites) restricted or has it been completely removed from tournament play (for example)?

Loving this new column though.