Even the Floor Hates the New Dante

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Even the Floor Hates the New Dante

This new Dmc: Devil May Cry trailer features grumpy buildings, a murderous cathedral and an oddly foul-mouthed floor.

Are you ready for your two minutes hate, citizen? Excellent, then check out this trailer that shows off Dmc's rather cool-looking shifting geometry.

So, are the visuals worth the drop in performance? The decision to cap Dmc at 30FPS is, rather bizarrely, probably the least unpopular design decision Ninja Theory has made thus far, but it's still a big sticking point for fans of the series. According to lead designer Tameem Antoniades, the 30FPS cap was implemented to free up resources for the fancy platforming shenanigans you see in the trailer there.

A second trailer, this one focusing on the game's combat, has also been released. Behold.

I'm still not convinced about Dante's new character design (that being said, I wasn't particularly keen on "old" Dante either, he often looked like he'd just escaped from a particularly exotic gay nightclub [http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_lgYr4WD1aDM/TRwELbBCevI/AAAAAAAAAjM/Tqy1LOoDjtY/s1600/devil_may_cry3.jpg]) the 30FPS cap, or the decision to hand over the franchise to Ninja Theory, but the world-twisty-platforming stuff? That does look interesting.

Dmc: Devil May Cry has been confirmed for Xbox 360 and PS3, and is currently scheduled for release sometime in 2012.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
So I am on of those who didn't jump on the bandwagon and hate this game before any information was released about it. Now that I see these trailers it looks like I should have joined sooner...
The graphics just doesn't fit the dark theme a DMC game is supposed to have and the combat looked quite boring. It's still a bit too soon to judge, but it doesn't look too good right now...

JoesshittyOs

Aug 10, 2011
Love the new look.

Trololololol.

But seriously, I'm actually liking everything about this game so far. Including the look. Combat looks decent, environments look amazing.

SovietX

Sep 8, 2009
The ESCAPE video looks quite cool but I'm really not liking new Dante look. The combat also looks stale and boring. Who knows.

MrTub

Mar 12, 2009
I couldn't imaging playing dmc at 30fps would feel like a lagfest for me. I guess im "lucky" for playing on pc but I will not buy this game since its doesnt look and will most likely not feel as dmc and doesn't even comes out on pc.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
"I marked it for you."

Well...that was dumb.

Character model didn't look impressive, combat doesn't look impressive, and no amount of self-aware floors in the game will be able to top that

rekabdarb

Jun 25, 2008
Kind of fun.
i mean the comments, everyone is bitching. But this is probably the second, if not first actual fight scene of the game. And i have to agree with the top post there. Old Dante did look like he stepped out of a exotic gay club. But his personality is amazing, because he was a pretentious tool.

SO he better become/be one for this game. But please, no leather straps

Denariax

Nov 3, 2010
I kinda fail to see the logic with some of the complaints; primarily the 30FPS, as to my knowledge, the original didn't even work on 60FPS. And if it did it cut out a lot of what the game was about (The combat) by making the enemies less frequent and rather boring. Don't get me wrong, I still love the games, but I'm thinking this may be my favorite solely BECAUSE it's working on 30FPS. Means more enemies to slice through, and honestly thats all I want.

Besides that, the aesthetics? He's still the snarky wisecracker as in the last games; just because his hair is black doesn't mean he's not the same person. (Yeah, he smokes, but honestly who gives a damn, he was 'toocoolforschool' in the other games as well.)

Besides, its working on UT3 engine. Don't like his hair? Hack in the white.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
Hmmm... Don't like his new hair! He looks even more angsty than normal! I prefered the white hair, at least he was a bit more Iconic with that! New one looks like vincent from FFVII after a haircut, and more attitude!

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Denariax said:
I kinda fail to see the logic with some of the complaints; primarily the 30FPS, as to my knowledge, the original didn't even work on 60FPS. And if it did it cut out a lot of what the game was about (The combat) by making the enemies less frequent and rather boring. Don't get me wrong, I still love the games, but I'm thinking this may be my favorite solely BECAUSE it's working on 30FPS. Means more enemies to slice through, and honestly thats all I want.
Actually all of the previous games ran at 60FPS and, with the exception of 2, threw out more enemies at once because of the PS2's simpler shading.

The Pinray

Jul 21, 2011
I'll remain hopeful. I'm treating old Dante and new Dante as two different people. We'll just have to see when it drops.

Lots of people clamored about the new Castlevania game and I absolutely loved it.

Hazzaslagga

Sep 18, 2009
I saw glimpses of old Dante's personality in there and the city thing was kind of cool but the combat look a little dull; mainly due to the grapple thingy.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Oh hey, I think the DMC series just came dangerously close to becoming visually interesting for the first time ever.

The dialogue still makes me want to curl up and hiss at the sun though, so I guess they're trying to stay true to the series in that regard.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Well, the game certainly looks interesting just from a pure visuals/aesthetics standpoint. Really digging the twisting environments thing. As for the redesign... I honestly don't give a rat's ass. He honestly just looks like he died his hair black and cut it shorter. That's it. Don't get what everyone is complaining about.

dvd_72

Jun 7, 2010
The combat seems.... slower than past DMC games, and the look still doesn't say "dante" to me. Guess I'll have to pretend it isn't a Devil May Cry Game.

Still looks like it'll be fun to play. Just not Devil May Cry fun.

Edit: Come to think of it, I wonder if they'll stick in a Dante reskin, like they did with the various costumes back in Devil May Cry 3. That could be interesting!

Screamarie

Mar 16, 2008
Being a lady who rather enjoyed Dante's old look, I gotta say this "new" Dante...no...nope he's not doing it for me. He makes me think of Jacob from Twilight. I'm sorry, but he just seems like a cocky teen to me.

That being said if I take my love of the original Dante out of the mix, this does look interesting. Honestly I need to seriously catch up on my DMC. I played through the first, started the second and then stopped. It's not that I quit enjoying the games, I'm just easily distracted.

Speaking of which, can anybody tell me, does this game actually have continuity with the originals? Or is this just kind of like Link, new game, new design (though Link stays relatively the same), new story, just the same name?

EDIT: Okay so after doing some digging I found that this is supposed to be an "alternate reality" so yeah...okay...I guess I can dig that. It does look interesting and the fact that it's supposed to be about an entire city coming after you? Well I kinda gotta admit that's an interesting idea. Just gotta wait for it to come to a redbox.