Gamers Find Way to Block Ads From New Xbox Dashboard

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
Gamers Find Way to Block Ads From New Xbox Dashboard

By following a few simple steps, your Xbox 360 can change back from storefront to videogame console.

The new Xbox 360 "Metro" dashboard design released last week to a mixed response from the gaming community. While some appreciate the new, sleeker aesthetic, others feel bogged down by the ratio of whiz-bang to function. One of the most prominent additions making some uncomfortable are the newly emphasized advertisements, but thankfully, a dedicated group of network tweakers have figured out the key to making them disappear for good.

The trick comes from blocking the solitary server delivering ad content to the console: rad.msn.com. Figure out how to plug that pipe, and suddenly your dashboard stops trying to convince you that Ashton Kutcher's new movie is actually worth ninety minutes of your time. There are a few ways to do it, but the easiest is to simply block the connection directly from your router. Most routers use different interfaces, so you'll need to either be knowledgeable on the subject or have the ability to type something into Google in order to proceed. Once you've done it, there's a simple test to see if it worked (other than firing up your Xbox, that is): Try to reach the server on a web browser. If it gives you a 404 error, congratulations! This is likely the first time you've been happy to see one. If it hits you with a 403, get back into that router and try again.

If you don't have access to your router settings, or prefer a more universal approach, you can blockade the server via OpenDNS. In simplistic terms, DNS is a translation service that connects web addresses to actual web locations. OpenDNS allows you to open that dictionary and change around the words and their definitions like poetry magnets on your refrigerator. Here is the simple step-by-step for getting it done:

1. Sign up for a free OpenDNS account.
2. Add a network for your current IP address.
3. Go to Advanced Settings and next to 'Domain Typos', ensure 'Enable typo correction' is checked.
4. Go to Web Content Filtering settings and set the filtering level to 'None', and under 'Manage individual domains', put rad.msn.com and select 'Always block' and then click 'Add domain'.
5. On your Xbox, go to System Settings -> Network Settings -> (your connection) -> Configure Network -> DNS settings -> Manual, and enter the OpenDNS IP addresses for the primary and secondary DNS servers: 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220.
6. Clear your hard drive cache: System Settings -> Storage -> Hard Drive -> press Y -> Clear System Cache

Today, gamers and tech junkies tend to think of ads as a subsidy, a fair, passive way to "pay" for enjoying free content. That being said, the Xbox 360 isn't free, and nor is its Xbox Live service, so I think it's a fair question for gamers to ask why they should be bothered by advertisements while poking around the service they're shelling out for. If the ads don't bug you, then great. If they do, now you've got a way to knock them out.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-12-09-gamers-discover-how-to-block-ads-on-new-xbox-dashboard]

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
The Escapist: Banning people for using adblock, and then telling people how to block ads.
EDIT: Yes, this post is a joke. Jesus fuck guys, stop quoting me.

Bobic

Nov 10, 2009
Random dude: "Hey, I use an adblocker on the escapist"
Escapist: "Lol, Suspended!"

. . .

Escapist: "Hey, here's how to block Xbox Ads"
Me: "Lol, Hypocrisy".

JimbobDa3rd

Sep 21, 2008
Bobic said:

. . .

I see the hypocrisy, and Im supprised the escapist banned for that.

But remember a huge difference is the escapist gets no money from us to watch their videos or read their articles, they get it all from advertisment (Im gonna start speculating) and if people are blocking ads the view numbers for analytic sites go down and thus less money in future because the advertisers think that less people will see them.

MisterM2402

Nov 19, 2009
In this case, The Escapist isn't being hypocritical.

If you'd like to actually *read* the last paragraph:
Today, gamers and tech junkies tend to think of ads as a subsidy, a fair, passive way to "pay" for enjoying free content. That being said, the Xbox 360 isn't free, and nor is its Xbox Live service, so I think it's a fair question for gamers to ask why they should be bothered by advertisements while poking around the service they're shelling out for. If the ads don't bug you, then great. If they do, now you've got a way to knock them out.

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
hazabaza1 said:
The Escapist: Banning people for using adblock, and then telling people how to block ads.
Advertising is only bad when someone else makes money from it ;-)

ElPatron

Jul 18, 2011
Bobic said:
Escapist: Free service
XBL: Paid with your money

I fail to see the hypocrisy.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
hazabaza1 said:
Bobic said:

. . .

Sober Thal said:
As previously mentioned... wtf?

Adblocking is okay, as long as it isn't talked about by members?

Beware the banhammer Mike.
I'm just going to assume that this is one of those "don't ask, don't tell" kind of situations.

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
MisterM2402 said:
In this case, The Escapist isn't being hypocritical.

If you'd like to actually *read* the last paragraph:
Time is money, chum, and I've sunk enough of it into these forums and various columns & videos on the site to buy myself a solid-gold rocket horse! The Escapist has robbed me of Turbo Dobbin!

RonHiler

Sep 16, 2004
Hmmm, we pay for TV too, yet we still have to put up with commercials. Something about that smells wrong...

Apr 28, 2008
hazabaza1 said:
Bobic said:

. . .

Xbox: Everyone pays for a subscription. Still gets showered with ads.

Escapist: Subscription optional, site depends on ad-revenue to survive, subscription blocks ads.

Not quite the same thing.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
And thus the arms race between gamers and the Microsoft marketing department begins. It will be interesting to see what response (if any) Microsoft comes up with to mitigate the damage to their money pit. Of course this being Microsoft, I expect they'll just start banning people from Xbox live who block the connection.

By the by, Xbox live is free so long as you don't want to do any multiplayer. I only had a gold account briefly so I could get access to the Arkham Asylum demo a few years back. Other than that I've had a free Xbox live account that I use to purchase the occasional DLC.

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
RonHiler said:
Hmmm, we pay for TV too, yet we still have to put up with commercials. Something about that smells wrong...
They would tell you that you are paying only for the data transmission. Watching commercials is how you "pay" for the actual shows that get transmitted.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
so I think it's a fair question for gamers to ask why they should be bothered by advertisements while poking around the service they're shelling out for.
can i apply that to Cable tv? XD

in all seriousness that is fantastic :D

Now Microsoft is going to put the ad machine on more servers!

dmase

Mar 12, 2009
I came to this thread to rage at the hypocrisy of the escapist but it's good to see other forum members got that in the first couple of posts.

I mean seriously your giving the simplified instructions directly.

BlindTom

Aug 8, 2008
Should we report the OP for this? I'm not sure I understand the rules anymore...

Frybird

Jan 7, 2008
DVS BSTrD said:
Ha ha Another victory in the struggle against decadent American capitalism!
http://img.chan4chan.com/img/2009-07-12/1247372400726.jpg
I'm not Commander Shepard, yet this is my favorite image on the Internet.

On Topic:
That's kinda clever in a cute way, i am not too bothered by the ads (except the ones with sound), but i'll probably try it out anyways just because i'm curious how desolate and weird the new Dashboard looks without them (i figure that the boxes will stay, so lots of white boxes with a few features spread in between?