Australia's Jack Thompson?

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Australia's Jack Thompson?

Michael Atkinson, the notorious attorney general of South Australia, has spoken out about his reasons for blocking the creation of an "R" videogame rating in Australia, and also expressed his opinions about the "swine" who think such ratings are a good idea.

In a recent segment by the Australian show Thailand [http://www.abc.net.au/stateline/sa/] last year, linked to a gamer last year playing out the fantasy of hijacking a taxicab and murdering the driver," he said. "It happened."

Many gamers and other functional human beings in Australia and around the world are firmly against Atkinson's stance, but he does have the support of Young Media Australia [http://www.youngmedia.org.au/], a company "committed to promoting better choices and providing stronger voices in children's media." Young Media Australia Vice President Elizabeth Handsley shares Atkinson's opinion that violent entertainment leads to violent behavior. "It can increase a person's tendency to be violent, or to want to resolve conflict with violence," she said. "Secondly, and perhaps most importantly, it can increase people's acceptance of violence, and make them more tolerant of violence, or desensitize children to violence. And again, the interactive aspect of videogames just heightens that effect."

And while the demand for a higher videogame rating in Australia continues to rise, anyone hoping the attorney general can be persuaded to engage in serious debate on the matter is likely to be sorely disappointed. Atkinson, who implied he had been threatened with "elimination" by gamers, described his true feelings toward gamers in no uncertain terms. "I think the Western industrialized countries that allow R-rating-plus computer games and the extreme violence that goes with them are just so many gathering swine going over the cliff, and I'm pleased that Australia has a principled, sensible stand against this extreme violence," he said. "I'm happy for Australia to stand alone, and international gamers can laugh at us all they like."

Source: GamePolitics [http://www.gamepolitics.com/2008/11/07/australian-pol-explains-objection-r18-rating-tv-news-program]

ThePlasmatizer

Sep 2, 2008
I found Michael Atkinson's view on the topic well presented and rational than the usual anti-violence games propaganda, but he is almost certainly imposing his views on others and they presented absolutely no scientific studies to back up their arguement other than a few isolated cases.

Off-Topic: It's not low, try turning your volume up.

May 17, 2007
Boo hiss! Go back to the 19th century, Emissary of the Christian Right, and take your meddling with you!

He talks like a rational man, basing his arguments on facts shown by scientific studies, except that the studies with those findings don't exist. You can tell he's not being completely honest by the amount of weasel words he uses. My favourite is: "it was decided that Australia didn't need an R rating". Yes Michael, it was decided - by you. I guess he's just not comfortable saying "I decided Australia doesn't need an R rating for video games".

The volume on the video is low for me too.

Greyhawk

Sep 29, 2008
Mr. Atkinson, I do laugh at you. I laugh at you heartily and with great derision. I laugh at you both for your ass-backwards belief and for your swine-headed insistance in ramming said belief down the throats of an increasingly dissatisfied public. So "Ha Ha!" Mr Atkinson! Ha Ha!

Doctor Panda

Apr 17, 2008
I can at least respect him for speaking coherently and being internally consistent. And well, nothing he has ever done has ever stopped me from doing whatever i like ever. You know why? Because like most educated Australians, when i see that there's a better deal internationally *i go and get it*.

18 months and i graduate and i am *out* of this backwater village.

savandicus

Jun 5, 2008
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
A little off topic, but is it just my computer, or is that video insanely quiet?
I can barely heard it with my speakers on full although i am only using crummy laptop speakers atm because my real ones are elsewhere atm.

I personally think that video games should be able to contain whatever terrors and horrors that they want but should have the raiting that reflect that, and the parents of young gamers need to understand that not all games are sutible for their children to play at that age. An 18 rated game should be able to be as horrific as an 18 rated film and its parents (and childrens slightly) fault if they decide to let their child play an 18 game like it would be if they let them see an 18 film. By trying to ban games with unsutible content then its just destroying the oppertunity for those who can enjoy such games because they're of an age where it wont screw them up. I personally love to have a game that scares me and i know that games like doom 3 arent suitible for anyone under the age bracket.

May 17, 2007
Doctor Panda said:
like most educated Australians, when i see that there's a better deal internationally *i go and get it*.
Me too, but it's illegal to import games that have been refused classification.

Milkman Dan

Sep 11, 2008
I don't think it's really fair to compare Thompson and Atkinson. One is a egomaniacal raging lunatic who has lost touch with reality, and Thompson is nothing like that.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
YAWN.

At least this one isn't in my country. And while he makes a pretense at being logical, the studies he talks about don't exist. Whatever happened to just "Crazy"?

Dec 1, 2007
Because nothing's healthier to a growing child then the knowledge that the government can and will take away freedoms without consideration, evidence, or fair process.

Awww, that's so wholesome. Is like a big ole glass a milk.

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
I love how he says he lets his kids play GTA... shows that he has no idea what he's talking about.

Anyways, I have on question for the man: you keep talking about the kids, but why should the rights and freedoms of adults be compromised for the select few children, who's parents should actually take care of them?

Edit: Damn, how many South Australians do we have on this board?

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
If Atkinson continues to deny the public's overwhelming request to get an R rating for games in Australia, I wouldn't be surprised if it backlashed at him somehow.