Black Friday Paves the Way to November Sales Success for Microsoft

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Black Friday Paves the Way to November Sales Success for Microsoft

Sony and Nintendo have also seen solid November sales, as consumers pick up consoles in their thousands.

While half the world was busy growing moustaches [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/114479-The-Good-The-Bad-and-the-Moustached-A-Movember-Retrospective] in November, Microsoft was busy doing something else, namely, selling Xbox 360s. According to data from NPD, Microsoft shifted more than 1.5 million consoles last month, thanks in no small part to the annual sales frenzy that is Black Friday.

According to Microsoft's internal figures, Black Friday sales contributed nearly half of Microsoft's 1.7 million November total, as shoppers bought 800,000 consoles in a 24 hour period. The company also sold around three quarters of a million Kinect sensors that week.

Sony also enjoyed a surge of sales. While it declined to share exact figures, it said that it had seen a 70% increase in year-on-year sales. Using last year's numbers - 530,000 units - as a baseline, the total comes out as a shade over 900,000 units. This would be in line with Microsoft's boast that it sold nearly twice as many consoles in November as its nearest rival.

Nintendo sold around 860,000 Wii consoles in November, a year-on-year drop of around a third. The company's handheld platforms saw solid sales, with the 3DS selling more than 795,000 units and the DS selling 350,000.

Source: Shacknews [http://www.shacknews.com/article/71499/xbox-360-nintendo-ps3-data-november-npd]

Spud of Doom

Feb 24, 2011
That's a bigger 3DS haul than I would've expected. Most of this is pretty old news by now, though. Good to see the games industry doing so strongly.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Wow the 3DS did quite well, that's a shock, i thought it was doing terribly.

And are we all surprised that Sony didn't reveal the figures? Really? Every one of these threads i come on they never reveal them.

orangeapples

Aug 1, 2009
arc1991 said:

And are we all surprised that Sony didn't reveal the figures? Really? Every one of these threads i come on they never reveal them.
What was there to buy for the PS3? HD Wii with no games? PS3 hasn't really seen any must have games for the system that will convert new people. I know there are awesome games on the PS3, just nothing to draw people in: Microsoft has Dance Central and the 3DS is still the newest toy on the block. If a family wants a BluRay player they can get a Bluray player pretty cheap now; the PS3 is a pricy BluRay. I don't know anyone besides the hardcore Sony Fanboys who are planning on getting the Vita on day 1. And even some of them are uncertain. And lolPSP.

Sony's sales are going to look really bad. That's why they haven't published them.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
orangeapples said:
arc1991 said:

What was there to buy for the PS3? HD Wii with no games? PS3 hasn't really seen any must have games for the system that will convert new people. I know there are awesome games on the PS3, just nothing to draw people in: Microsoft has Dance Central and the 3DS is still the newest toy on the block. If a family wants a BluRay player they can get a Bluray player pretty cheap now; the PS3 is a pricy BluRay. I don't know anyone besides the hardcore Sony Fanboys who are planning on getting the Vita on day 1. And even some of them are uncertain. And lolPSP.

Sony's sales are going to look really bad. That's why they haven't published them.
But what i mean is they NEVER release them, not what i have seen anyway, unless they are in the millions, Microsoft and Nintendo seem to release them whenever they like. Even if the sales aren't great.

orangeapples

Aug 1, 2009
arc1991 said:
orangeapples said:
arc1991 said:

But what i mean is they NEVER release them, not what i have seen anyway, unless they are in the millions, Microsoft and Nintendo seem to release them whenever they like. Even if the sales aren't great.
Ya know what? that is very true. Sony doesn't reveal numbers unless there is something positive to say, then again all companies do that. It is just that Nintendo doesn't really ever see a bad year that often and Microsoft's numbers have never really been on a decline; I know they steady out, but hardly decline.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
orangeapples said:
What was there to buy for the PS3? HD Wii with no games? PS3 hasn't really seen any must have games for the system that will convert new people. I know there are awesome games on the PS3, just nothing to draw people in: Microsoft has Dance Central
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Oh man, that was the funniest thing I've read in a long time. No must have games for PS3, but Microsoft has some shovelware rhythm game? Yeah, people really care about that Dance Central crap Harmonix keeps spitting out now that Rock Band died, but nobody wants the numerous franchises Sony has to offer. Seriously man, great joke.

...Unless you were serious. Then this is one of the saddest things I've read in a long time.

orangeapples

Aug 1, 2009
mjc0961 said:
orangeapples said:
What was there to buy for the PS3? HD Wii with no games? PS3 hasn't really seen any must have games for the system that will convert new people. I know there are awesome games on the PS3, just nothing to draw people in: Microsoft has Dance Central
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Oh man, that was the funniest thing I've read in a long time. No must have games for PS3, but Microsoft has some shovelware rhythm game? Yeah, people really care about that Dance Central crap Harmonix keeps spitting out now that Rock Band died, but nobody wants the numerous franchises Sony has to offer. Seriously man, great joke.

...Unless you were serious. Then this is one of the saddest things I've read in a long time.
No no no, you didn't read my words carefully enough.

I know PS3 has really good games like Resistance and Uncharted. PS3 owners will be proud. However, my words were:

PS3 hasn't really seen any must have games for the system that will convert new people.
Emphasis on that last part. These games WILL NOT get new people to buy the system.

Dance Central is moving Kinect and Xbox 360s. People want to pick up both an Xbox 360 AND Kinect to play Dance Central. It doesn't matter how much "gamers" hate the Kinect, you have got to face the facts.

CapitalistPig

Dec 3, 2011
Yea ill stick to my PC for now. Consoles need to "WOW" me all over again since AMD came out with 8 core processors for about $200, 1GB graphics cards for pocket change and 1TB solid state HDs for a few smackaroos. Its pretty hard to guess the future of console gaming but id like to think as it moves forward with mega computers we will get a return of arcades for a while.