Turbine Confirms Console MMOs

Logan Frederick

Aug 19, 2006
Turbine Confirms Console MMOs

The PC online role-playing company is coming to consoles with a formula for MMO success that has "never been done before."

Jeff Steefel, Executive Producer for Lord of the Rings: Online, says that his studio intends on announcing multiple console MMO projects sometime in early 2009.

"We're really not talking about what our console product plans are, but we will be soon," confirmed Steefel.

Actual titles are still far down the road. Instead, Turbine says that it's focusing on understanding where the console manufacturers are taking their online strategies and how Turbine's MMO ideas can be compatible.

"What we're doing now is the early development work and the work with the hardware manufacturers to understand where they're heading in the online space, where the connectivity between the console and internet is really headed," explained Steefel. "That's everything from how the games really need to behave to the relationship between the hardware manufacturers and the developers to the publishing model, to the consumer business model."

In the short term, Turbine continues to focus on the upcoming release of Lord of the Rings Online's expansion pack Mines of Moria [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/82343] coming this month.

Source: Videogaming 24/7 [http://www.videogaming247.com/2008/11/06/turbine-will-announce-console-mmo-projects-early-next-year/]

Flying-Emu

Oct 30, 2008
Oh dear. This frightens me. Last time they tried something that had "never been done" in an MMO, it sort of fell on its face.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Everything is "never seen before" or "never been done before". Believe it when I see it, still think it's dumb. Unless it's an RPG in the fashion of oh..say.. Deus Ex.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
Ooooooh! A WoW clone for the Console?

Or should I say a FFXI clone, since that game was developed for consoles before porting to the PC?

Seriously, a "formula for MMO success that has never been seen before?" Kinda reminds me of movie trailers, how they are always "The best comedy of 20xx."

ward.

Aug 6, 2008
Perhaps it's a sci-fi FPSish MMO, there's a never been done before I'd like to see.

ward.

Aug 6, 2008
varulfic said:
ward. said:
Perhaps it's a sci-fi FPSish MMO, there's a never been done before I'd like to see.
Planetside. Apparently it sucked.
That always seemed more like unreal tournament with a level tree then the awesomeness that is forming in my mind to me.

Killerbunny001

Oct 23, 2008
Although I can really smell epic fails in the console MMO business we should give them a chance. Maybe they can come up with something more than mindless grinding.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
I feel a sort of kinship with Turbine as their HQ is only a few miles from me, and I really enjoyed most of what LotRO had to offer, so I'm not putting the pessimism on quite yet. That being said, I won't be getting my hopes up, either. There has yet to be an MMO that has kept me interested in the long run.

Delmar Wynn

Nov 12, 2002
DeadlyYellow said:
Or should I say a FFXI clone, since that game has already been ported to consoles?
Wasn't it originally developed for consoles (PS2) and then ported to Windows?

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
Delmar Wynn said:
DeadlyYellow said:
Or should I say a FFXI clone, since that game has already been ported to consoles?
Wasn't it originally developed for consoles (PS2) and then ported to Windows?
Well whaddya know. Thanks for the information, always nice to learn things. I shall edit it accordingly.