Context, Challenge and Gratification

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Context, Challenge and Gratification

Yahtzee breaks down the three essential qualities of every game.

Read Full Article

-KC-

Jul 15, 2010
Of course what I would definitely not do then is combine the three scores into some kind of "overall" value, because that's totally fucking meaningless. That'd be like having a meal where the main course was tasty but the dessert was disgusting, so you give it a final review of TASTGUSTING.
Lol'ed irl :D

I couldn't agree more on this.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Agreed completely on where Saints Row 2 and Saints Row The Third would lie on this triangle graph. Saints Row 2 was the perfect balance of everything. Then Saints Row The Third comes along, and they focused on just one of the things people liked about the game (wacky crazy fun) and just pumped that up while sacrificing other things. I missed the kind of character interaction and development Saints Row 2 had. I felt SRTT was really disappointing in that department.
One confrontation with Phillipe, and then you kill him pretty early on without any further face-to-face confrontation with him despite the fact that this fucker killed Johnny Gat, the best character in the franchise. You drop a giant decoration on him, which is pretty awesome in the "wacky crazy" department, but compared to the stuff that happens in SR2, it just seems to come up short.
Also doesn't really help that I already did the same thing to Queen Myrrah, so when SRTT did it, I'd seen it already. Granted, Marcus Fenix didn't ride the giant decoration back down to the ground floor, but still.

And then what happens after that? The Saints recruit a bunch of new people into their gang, and then between the four (later on, five) new members and the two you brought along from Stilwater (Pierce and Shaundi), none of them really get any kind of meaningful screen time or development. No memorable scenes. I think there was that time Kinzie was hiding under a booth in a diner, oh and Oleg and Pierce sure played a lot of chess. That Angel guy and his mask or something? That's about it I guess.

And for the other gang, WTF. Killbane kills one of the twins for you, and the other one defects so you don't get to kill her either despite both of them also playing a part in the previously mentioned killing of the best character in the franchise. You let Matt Miller fucking live because he offers you a few discounts at some shops. WTF is that?! At least you get some good confrontations with Killbane, but of course you have to let Shaundi get blown up to finish him off.

So yeah. SR3 is really fun when it comes to "holy shit look at Professor Genki" or just running around the street beating people with a giant floppy dildo, but it sadly lacks in other areas where SR2 had previously shined.

I also agree on everything at the end about the review scores. Review scores are generally nonsensical garbage.

Here's hoping Randall (xkcd author) sees this article and makes that triangle chart thing for us. :D

Fat Hippo

Prepare to be Gnomed
Legacy
May 29, 2009
Hmm, this actually sounds like it would be an interesting experiment. So how about you really DO IT in your next review, and see how people react? You can talk the talk but can you walk the walk?

No, but seriously, this is a cool idea, so try it.

EmperorSubcutaneous

Dec 22, 2010
How funny. I was just coming up with my own reviewing system that also includes three separate marks out of ten that can't be combined together. They're different than Yahtzee's, but I'm happy with them for my own purposes.

For the record, mine are Technical (mostly objective and concerning things like bugginess, smoothness of controls, clarity of GUI, etc.), Artistic (a combination of objective and subjective and concerning things like the pacing and the consistency/appropriateness of the aesthetic), and Personal (entirely subjective and concerning how much the reviewer personally enjoyed it). A game could get 9/10 in one category and 5/10 in the other two and still be an extremely good game that's well worth playing.

Loonerinoes

Apr 9, 2009
Fair enough idea.

Here's another one though - the ideal is wherever you, as a specific kind of player, decide it is.

If you like more context, then you're going to love games that provide more of it at the cost of challenge and gratification. If you like more challenge, then you'll be more than happy to work your arse off at such a game, that does it at the expense of the other two. And if you're all about the gratification, well...you're probably the majority of gamers, but more power to you too I suppose.

I'm pretty sure that on the theoretical level, the ideal is right in the middle. But when it comes down to practical application - people are different. Gamers are different. And because of that, there never was or will be a 'perfect' game for all. Only games that are moreso perfect for certain types of gamers, depending on which part of the triangle they happen to edge moreso towards or, in your case, on how centered they are between all three.

That said, I'd certainly prefer a diagram like that to metacritic's horribly uninformative and bland scores, if they really must find some way to 'measure' a game. No argument there.

Feb 13, 2008
Saint's Row 3 seems to have the exact same problem as Champions and Star Wars:Galaxies after NGE.

You start off awesome. More awesome than you can ever imagine being, and then some.

And then the game starts for real, and you're awesome in a sea of mediocre.

And you get BORED pretty quickly by being awesome. Until something equally awesome comes down and starts pounding you with QTEs.

And then you get bored with that. And another thing comes along and says "DO AWESOME THINGS FOR CASH", and you wave your little finger and it screams "THAT'S NUMBERWANGAWESOME" and gives you some cash.

And you look at your little avatar and tap the button once lightly. He runs off, kicks a granny through a door and jumps in a jet fighter.

Then you move it to the left slightly, and your avatar solves world peace.

And then you leave the avatar to it, and play Saint's Row 2 where you have to shoot your friend in the head as a mercy killing. And it hurts.

And that's the one you keep playing.

Joe Fajita

Mar 9, 2009
In terms of "what things make a game good", I'm going to have to agree more with PC Gamer's Tom Francis:

http://www.pentadact.com/2011-05-27-what-makes-games-good/

This reminded me of it; it's an interesting read.

EmperorSubcutaneous

Dec 22, 2010
Lordofthesuplex said:
You know, I have a long-standing grudge against the concept of awarding review scores to games, because I think it represents everything that's wrong about videogame reporting by treating every given game like some kind of kitchen appliance whose chopping blades have been slightly rearranged since the last generation and are now therefore precisely 1 point more efficient at dicing sweet potatoes.
I could say the same thing about you as well Yahtzee. I have nothing against your theory of Context, Challenge and Gratification when judging a game but here's the thing, you expect EVERYTHING to do this and it's really makes you look pretentious to have such high standards. Especially when it comes to a certain company. Not everyone goes that same mile.

Look, all I'm saying is, just because a game can balance Context, Challenge and Gratification doesn't mean all of them should. If they can pull that off, great. I applaud them for being able to do so. But how many times have we played games where developers intentionally try to aim for such a thing and fail miserably at it? I know I've played quite a few.
Except he never said that. He gave Halo: Reach as an example of a game that balances all of them, and he wasn't a particularly big fan of that game.

At the very end of the article, he said that the scores a game receives on those three things should not be averaged together because that's not the goal.

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
Here's another from the handful of stars that are Yatzee's favorite games as a well-balanced "great game": Psychonauts (which I beat yesterday in between studying for my last final exam this semester).

Psychonauts has you, as Raz, exploring the CONTEXT of several different people's psyches and (sometimes literally) wrestling with their inner troubles. As for CHALLENGE, the riddles of the puzzle items in the second half of the game and the insane "acrobatics" of the last world pushed my limits. And finally, GRATIFICATION is from stunning and burning the big enemies and, of course, becoming a true Psychonaut.

Saints Row the Third, on the other hand, has little context and loses most of its challenge as soon as (and assuming that) you max out your anti-damage attributes. Some missions are always fairly challenging, though, since the "homies" can die easily. The sandbox can easily become pure GRATIFICATION with a grenade-launcher assault rifle and burning bullets.

bojac6

Oct 15, 2009
mjc0961 said:
At least you get some good confrontations with Killbane, but of course you have to let Shaundi get blown up to finish him off.
I just wanted to call this out as something I think was brilliant and something that should be in more, better games because...

Having to pick between killing Killbane or saving Shaundi somehow became a real choice in the game. It felt like it had consequence and made me think. Compare that to Mass Effect 2, where the choice is either play more game and spend some more money on upgrades or have a character die. Is there really a decision there? To me it seems obvious that you pick more game. Or look at your choices at the end of Deus Ex: HR. You push a button and get a narration. There's no weight there, no sense of loss, and no real reward.

But the end of Saint's Row the Third made me stop and go "I hate this guy, but I like Shaundi. Shit." Maybe I'm just a sucker and other people didn't care at all. But I wish more games gave you actual choices like this. Or the choice of who to save in the original Mass Effect. Actual dilemmas that have consequence, both in the game and the metagame. You aren't being asked to pick between more game or quick ending, you're being asked to pick between game style A or style B in a plot decision, not a leveling up one.

Edit: Fixed spoiler tags

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
Board games often have numbers on their boxes that are supposed to point out how much they rely on various skills or mechanisms (a basic complexity score, often a value for randomness, one for strategy, one for dexterity if it's one of those games, potentially one for negotiating with other players, etc). Not many videogames do that but I have seen some, primarily for kids. Now we just need the Yahtzee Advisory Board giving mandatory category scores to games.

I thought SR2 did context better than SR3 by having three campaigns, one per gang. Each gang was a defined entity with its own goals, personalities and issues. The syndicate in SR3 isn't nearly as interesting and of course every hero (or villain) is defined by his opponents. STAG also is fairly flat character-wise, the Ultor corp was a much more mixed enemy with an agenda that's not just "kill anything that moves".

Also I'm not sure on the challenge balance, I like the more varied enemy types that are the result of not caring for realism anymore (I don't think SR2 had any supernatural stuff beyond that one fight with the right hand man of the Sons of Samedi though it did have some ridiculously overbeefed regular guys like the boss fight against Veteran Child) but the slow health regeneration could lead to a ton of frustration, especially with no way to grab "health packs" and those heli-snipers are purely annoying.

Really, the best path for SR4 would be to take the best bits of SR2 and 3, they both have their strengths and weaknesses (e.g. running a long time to find a car to steal in SR2, the bo-duke-n made that WAAAAAAY smoother).

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
This perfectly describes why I was so disappointed in GTA4. They laid on heavy with the context, and the challenge was decent, but you couldn't have the same gratification you got out of GTA3 without damaging the context severely. The only way I can see fit to rampage down the streets in an out of control ambulance, squishing more lives than I'm saving, is if I totally ignore anything I know about the character, and at that point I'm playing a different game.

Though I MIGHT be willing to accept the character change if I could kill children while nude buxom starlets applaud my efforts. Get on that mod, fellows!

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
But if I did finally knuckle under to those bean counters at Metacritic, this is exactly how I'd give scores to games. Three separate marks out of ten for Context, Challenge and Gratification. None of this buggering about with graphics or sound or anything else as consequential as the color of the wallpaper in an operating theatre. Of course what I would definitely not do then is combine the three scores into some kind of "overall" value, because that's totally fucking meaningless. That'd be like having a meal where the main course was tasty but the dessert was disgusting, so you give it a final review of TASTGUSTING.
You could average them out another way: Make an actual triangle chart. Perhaps three axes leading from a center point, each with a 1-10 numeric value represented by a dot on the line (the further away from the center, the better), and the dots would be connected into a triangle. The game's overall score would be expressed not as a numeric value, but in the size and shape of the triangle.

Deminobody

Nov 18, 2009
I'd be up for seeing these categories used in future Zero Punctuations. Anything which might spur a new style of video game reviewing away from the 1-10 faux objectivity model used now.

Opinions will always be subjective no matter what kind of numbers you put with them!

Random berk

Sep 1, 2010
This is an interesting idea- its quite similar to the petrochemographic diagrams we've been looking at in Metamorphic petrology. Problem is, if a game with the perfect blend of context, gameplay and gratification sits in the centre of the chart, how do you differentiate between a game that is scores a fantastic level in all three areas, or a terrible one? For example, Saints Row 2 sits in the middle, but where do you put a game like the Transformers official movie game? That one was equally execrable in every possible area? You can't give it three seperate points, and you can't give it, lets say, a position near the context because it sucked a bit less in that area than it did in the others, and have it sitting somewhere near Mass Effect or a similarly story-based game.

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
Random berk said:
This is an interesting idea- its quite similar to the petrochemographic diagrams we've been looking at in Metamorphic petrology. Problem is, if a game with the perfect blend of context, gameplay and gratification sits in the centre of the chart, how do you differentiate between a game that is scores a fantastic level in all three areas, or a terrible one?
Hit the nail on the head.

This Yahtzee game theory is cute, but not very useful.
Balance doesn't have to be a good balance and little context, doesn't make retro games, bad games.

At best, the triangle can be used to tell what kind of audience a game is for, but there's better alternatives for that already: genre, parts and difficulty.