Alan Wake PC Rumors Gather Steam

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Alan Wake PC Rumors Gather Steam

Rumors that Alan Wake is coming to the PC are once again flying fast and furious.

If you're a true PC gamer, then you probably have a long memory and a tendency to hold a grudge, and that means that you remember a time when Alan Wake was a PC project. But then it went dual platform with the Xbox 360, and then came the sad day when we were told that the PC was out: Alan Wake would be an Xbox 360 exclusive. And there was much anger!

But perhaps the time to simmer down has finally arrived, as users on the Alan Wake forums [http://forum.alanwake.com/showthread.php?t=7519] have discovered a listing for Alan Wake in the Steam registry. Three separate screens of the registry entry were also posted, along with a reminder that "Sonic Generations PC version was leaked in the same way."

That in itself doesn't necessarily mean much, but it becomes a whole lot more interesting when seen in the light of a comment made by Remedy's Aki Järvilehto during an interview with Finnish website JustPushStart [http://ylex.yle.fi/uutiset/popuutiset/remedy-uusi-alan-wake-on-tarantino-henkinen]]. "We have received feedback from a lot of PC gamers, and I have to admit that yes, we somehow ignored that," he said. "Let's see if in the near future we could have some positive news to tell you about dating!"

"Dating," in this case, presumably refers not to a night on the town in Bright Falls but rather a day on the calendar that somehow relates to whatever it was that Järvilehto was talking about. Oh, right - Alan Wake on the PC!

[And let us also not forget that all the way back in April 2010, Remedy's Sam Lake made a point of noting [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/99631-Alan-Wake-for-PC-is-Still-on-Remedys-Hard-Drives] that the code for the PC version of Alan Wake is "still on our hard drives."]

Don't get too wound up over this just yet, because Remedy hasn't actually said anything about it one way or the other, but we've reached out to them and will give you a heads-up in and when they do.

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
Let me guess - Microsoft's exclusivity contract expired?

Well, sirs. Considering the time we've had to wait while you earned your thirty pieces of silver, there'd better be one heck of a discount on the PC version. That, or a boatload of extra features - or both.

Bobic

Nov 10, 2009
omicron1 said:
Let me guess - Microsoft's exclusivity contract expired?

Well, sirs. Considering the time we've had to wait while you earned your thirty pieces of silver, there'd better be one heck of a discount on the PC version. That, or a boatload of extra features - or both.
Considering it's being released on steam there'll definitely be a discount at some point. You may just have to wait until next summer.

Rhinzual26

Feb 17, 2011
Hey, I got no beef with waiting for a discount. You'd think Micro$oft would get more money if they allowed sales on the PC.

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
Rhinzual26 said:
Hey, I got no beef with waiting for a discount. You'd think Micro$oft would get more money if they allowed sales on the PC.
Funny thing is, aside from first-party games like this, MS doesn't see a cent from PC sales. That's why they abandoned the PC as soon as they had a platform they could make overpriced-hardware fees and "platform license fee" graft from. And that's why I hate them.

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
Oh, it truly would be awesome, I've heard only good things about that game. Tho now to pray that Demons Souls and Red Dead Redemption will end up on the PC, too... One can only hope.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
I don't know if I should be outraged that it took them this long and for the bullshit reasons they gave for not releasing it initially on PC.

Seriously, fuck Microsoft and all the console manufacturers/devs who pull this bullshit. Remedy used to be cool.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
This is good. This game was amazing fun. Hopefully, getting it on the PC will increase sales enough that Remedy will decide to make a full blown sequel. I love that fact that X-Box Arcade will be getting a sequel, but I would like an actual game too. All PC users need to buy this if it comes out, please!

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
And it will probably do about as well as Fable III on the PC, and for much the same reasons: the audience feels insulted, and the initial publicity push has long since passed.

Y'know, I was somewhat curious about Alan Wake, and I might even play it if it comes out at a reasonable price point. But this kind of shenanigans is what makes gamers wonder if things like the "Games For Windows" initiative were ever taken seriously by Microsoft. "We are fiercely dedicated to keeping the PC the fourth strongest platform on the market. Wait, there's the iPhone now... Maybe the fifth strongest."

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Considering the luke warm receptions it got on reviews, I don't know if a game that will probably be almost two years old will make much in the way of waves on the PC. I for one, completely lost interest in this title. Imagine the sales they would have had with a simultaneous release on the PC.

Keep it, we don't need it. Think about all the games floating around from now till the release.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
One thing is for sure, I'm not getting this on 360 as long as this rumour is around.

Come on Microsoft, at least on PC you don't have to worry about pre-owned.

Durgiun

Dec 25, 2008
Damn it, if this comes to PC I'm buying the fucking thing the second I see it! I don't care if I have to sell drugs for the mafia, kill people for the yakuza or, god help me, shake Rick Perry's hand, I will find a way to get money for the PC port of this game!

Jonsbax

May 4, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
"We have received feedback from a lot of PC gamers, and I have to admit that yes, we somehow ignored that," he said. "Let's see if in the near future we could have some positive news to tell you about dating!"
The translation is a bit off. He basically says:
We have received feedback from a lot of PC gamers, and I have to admit that we'd want to respond to that somehow. Let's see if in the near future we could have some positive news regarding this (referring to the demand of a PC port)!
Coming from a Finn. The word "dating" is hilariously off the mark!

Considering Alan Wake is the one game I'd want from 360 library, I'd definitely welcome a PC port.