Western Developer Might Collaborate on Next Zelda

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
Western Developer Might Collaborate on Next Zelda

Miyamoto eyes Austin-based Retro Studios as a possible fit for one of Nintendo's most beloved franchises.

During a recent interview with Wired, Nintendo's Shigeru Miyamoto revealed that U.S. developer Retro Studios could be brought onboard to assist with the next Zelda title. The Austin-based studio is owned by Nintendo and perhaps most famous for reinventing the celebrated Metroid property for the GameCube.

"As you know, we have already collaborated with Retro for the Metroid Prime series in the past," Miyamoto said. "And I think when we talk about any other franchise, Zelda might be a possible franchise for that collaboration."

Aside from Metroid Prime, Retro Studios has already proven themselves with work on other critically acclaimed games such as Donkey Kong Country Returns, and more recently did some work on the--wait for it--retro courses in Mario Kart 7.

"People often say that videogames made by Western developers are somehow different in terms of taste for the players, in comparison with Japanese games," Miyamoto continued.

"[On Mario Kart 7] we were able to join forces in order to realize a variety of different courses, a variety of different tastes. I think that's one reason how it worked out well between a Japanese development team and a Western development team."

This isn't the first time Nintendo has praised Retro, [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/108998-Metroid-Prime-Studio-Thinks-Like-Nintendo] nor would this be the first time it's gotten some help from another developer on a Zelda title. Capcom was involved in the development of Oracle of Seasons/Ages on the GBA, while Monolith Soft helped with Skyward Sword.

While there's nothing concrete to say about Link's next outing, according to an inside source at Retro, the studio is already working on "a project everyone wants us to do" for the upcoming Wii U. If that project does turn about to be the next Zelda, it would be the first time a Western developer has had their hands on the series since its debut over twenty-five years ago.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2011/12/miyamoto-interview-transcript/all/1]

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Very interesting news. I'd like to see Retro push the story aspect a little further like they did with Metroid Prime. I haven't played Skyward Sword yet, but I understand it has a better story than pretty much any other Nintendo game to date (except Mario RPG of course).

Might give me a reason to actually buy Wii U.

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
Hmm... I don't want to decry the studio and get all super defensive about someone touching my precious franchise but I'm skeptical. The studio has proven themselves, but they have never done anything like Zelda before. And I don't think I would enjoy a Zelda game if it became westernized. Well it's all just rumours right now so we will see.

cynicalsaint1

Salvation a la Mode
Apr 1, 2010
I'd definitely be interested in seeing what Retro could do with a Zelda game. I don't think I've seen them put out something bad yet.

AJax_21

May 6, 2011
The Metroid Prime guys? sure why not. Never played it but I heard it's incredible so I'm interested what these guys can do with Zelda. I always hoped that a studio can push the story aspect of Zelda. Twilight Princess showed potential but it was ultimately... meh.

Reincarnatedwolfgod

Jan 17, 2011
it could work
retro worked on metroid prime which was an excellent game
going by that they may be able to add some good thing for zelda

Desworks

Nov 18, 2009
On one hand I am all "Yayisms, Retro Studios only knows how to make things that contain equal parts of awesome and win!".

But on the other hand, when the Silent Hill franchise left it's comfy seat in Japan for Western shores, things took a turn down Disappointment Street.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
The worst game Retro Studios ever made was Metroid Prime 2: Echoes, which was merely pretty good. If anyone can handle the series (or any series) well, it's them. Heck, they could probably give a much fresher take on the series, rather than yet another derivative of the OoT formula.

P.S. Thanks

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
I don't think you can make too much change with the Zelda formula (like for example Team Ninja with Metroid Other M), but what I'd really like to see from Retro if this is true is their take on a new art direction. I don't think it gets enough appreciation for this, but Metroid Prime was just a downright gorgeous game. It won't have as high of a pixel count as more modern games but with all the finer little details it still looks better than most games that come out today.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Hmmm... when was the last time a western developer touched the Zelda franchise?

Oh, right:
In all seriousness, I can't wait to see what Retro can come up with.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
I hope they don't do what Western devs love to do and add in some stupid romance options. No, we really don't want to see Link and Zelda "hook up".

Electrogecko

Apr 15, 2010
Everyone relax. Nothing about bringing Zelda to Retro would radically "westernize" the game....I'm not even sure I know what that means. Was Metroid Prime a "westernized" Metroid game?

Either way, this mention in the original interview was so casual that I'm surprised by the explosion of articles that are comfortable theorizing. I have a hard time believing Miyamoto would've dropped that line if the project Retro is working on actually IS a new Zelda game. Not to say that it won't happen in the future, but I think everybody is getting worked up over nothing.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Electrogecko said:
Everyone relax. Nothing about bringing Zelda to Retro would radically "westernize" the game....I'm not even sure I know what that means. Was Metroid Prime a "westernized" Metroid game?
Did you notice the whole FPS thing with Metroid Prime. I know it was easy to miss but go look it up.

Electrogecko

Apr 15, 2010
Crono1973 said:
Electrogecko said:
Did you notice the whole FPS thing with Metroid Prime. I know it was easy to miss but go look it up.
Yes, I happened to notice that the game has a first person perspective and involves shooting things....when i played it. Your argument...that is so plainly obvious that you felt the need to condescend to me....is that a majorly technical difference in camera style is enough to declare a game "westernized?"

I'd like to think that Prime distinguished itself from what most people would refer to as an FPS through platforming and puzzle segments, emphasis on exploration, and RPG-like progression, which, if you ask me, are more eastern than western techniques. Calling it an FPS is a misappropriate use of an already painfully inclusive genre.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
SupahGamuh said:

Oh, right:
Oh, gods, cannot unsee! I...I don't even...I was laughing but I felt bad at the same time...but I thought it was a joke..but it wasn't...and it kept going...it was too much...I can't remember a time when I wasn't watching this...good grief!

OT: I don't really care who the developer is as long as they:

A) Don't rape the franchise (Right, Ninja Theory?)
B) They don't dull the game in any aspect (Seriously, CANNOT UNSEE!)
C) They make a serious and notorious improvement (Like Skyward Sword)

So I guess time will tell.

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
Retro Studios should blow everyone's collective mind by making a Legend of Zelda game where you play as Zelda. Because, why the hell not? And I am serious when I asked that, and I don't care if someone will post clips of that horrible CD-I game. This is Retro Studios we're talking about, here. I have enough faith in their competence that they can pull it off.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Beautiful End said:
SupahGamuh said:

Oh, right:
Oh, gods, cannot unsee! I...I don't even...I was laughing but I felt bad at the same time...but I thought it was a joke..but it wasn't...and it kept going...it was too much...I can't remember a time when I wasn't watching this...good grief!

OT: I don't really care who the developer is as long as they:

A) Don't rape the franchise (Right, Ninja Theory?)
B) They don't dull the game in any aspect (Seriously, CANNOT UNSEE!)
C) They make a serious and notorious improvement (Like Skyward Sword)

So I guess time will tell.
We all wish it's a joke... we all fucking wish it's a joke...
*goes to corner, gets into fetal position, starts rolling back and forth and starts mubling something about eating octoroks*

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
For a heavy "fps", prime sure had a lot of side scrolley ball mazes...

Racthoh

Feb 9, 2009
Retro was originally making Metroid Prime from a third person point of view, it was Miyamoto who wanted the game to be from the first person. Anyhow, Retro seems like a fully competent group of people who would do the Zelda series good.