Software Exposes BitTorrent Pirates at Major Entertainment Companies

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
Software Exposes BitTorrent Pirates at Major Entertainment Companies

While the entertainment industry continues to fight the world's pirating habits, it apparently forgot to check in on its own employees.

Popular BitTorrent website TorrentFreak has used a new Russian-based website capable of tracking about 20% of all public torrenting to search the habits of multiple companies involved in the war against pirating. Using the IP addresses of major Hollywood studios, the folks at TorrentFreak were able to pull the download history of these companies' employees. Depending on how cynical you are, the results were somewhat unsurprising.

TorrentFreak found evidence against the employees of Sony Pictures Entertainment, Fox Entertainment, NBC Universal, and others. A quick search using this tool showed that in the last month alone, Sony employees downloaded Conan the Barbarian, some Dubstep music, and Beavis and Butthead. Fox showed records of downloading Super 8, while NBC was bagged stealing the entire first season of Game of Thrones, Cowboys and Aliens, and a collection of trance .mp3s. It's also important to note that this only covers offenses made from within the offices themselves (not at home), approximately 20% of total pirating, only the first three weeks of November, and but one of the hundreds of IP addresses associated with the companies.

TorrentFreak isn't the only one using the service to expose anti-piracy groups. Dutch blog Geenstijil used it to pin theft of Battlefield 3 and all of Entourage onto the music royalty collecting agency Buma/Stemra.

Buma/Stemra has argued against these findings by claiming that the IP addresses were spoofed, even suggesting that Sony, Fox, and the others adopt a similar stance against these recent accusations. This defense, however, comes with an interesting counter. As TorrentFreak puts it: "If it's so easy to spoof an IP-address, then accused file-sharers can use this same defense against copyright holders.

"Checkmate?"

Here's the site that TorrentFreak used. [http://www.youhavedownloaded.com/] If you click on it, your results will be automatically shown for the IP from which you access it. Accessing the site will not "pull" your data, just show you what's already in a public database on you and your naughty pirating habits.

Source: TorrentFreak [http://torrentfreak.com/busted-bittorrent-pirates-at-sony-universal-and-fox-111213/]

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
The Buma/Stemra kermitflailing is hilarious. They've now removed their press statement that their IP was spoofed, and claim "it was only intended for the press", not blogs like Geenstijl.
With this proof that they are themselves actively pirating and the ongoing scandals on artists not being paid, Buma/Stemra using a composer's music without paying, and the proof they are corrupt, I hope the government will finally abolish them.
Copyright law is completely unsuitable for the digital age and the correct response is to update it, not to ignore the internet exists and the world has changed.

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
Am I the only one who finds this amazingly funny xD

I plan to show this to some people I know xD

Ilikemilkshake

Jun 7, 2010
Sober Thal said:
So pirates like to rat out other pirates, eh? Neat.
They're ratting out people who are against piratng, yet are pirates themselves...They're exposing their hypocrisy.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Ilikemilkshake said:
Sober Thal said:
So pirates like to rat out other pirates, eh? Neat.
They're ratting out people who are against piratng, yet are pirates themselves...They're exposing their hypocrisy.
Dude, as lovely as that is, you know it's not true. They haven't said, look this is what the head of Sony Entertainment is pirating, or look this is what the lawyer is pirating, or this is what the guy running the anti-piracy campaign is pirating.

They're saying that these mega-corporations have some employees who pirate games.

To cap it off, two thoughts, one if any employer found out their employees were pirating games on company time on company computers, instead of doing the work they were paid to do. They'd probably fire them. Even if the were insurers or actuaries. The people who pirate games in this companies must be wetting themselves right now.

Second of all, we teach children 'just because he's doing it too doesn't make it any better'. We're pretty smart people

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
That site said i had only downloaded 2 ilegal files..... which is really awesome, means I've been hiding my tracks well.

(Note to moderators. This is a joke, do not take it seriously.)

Oh, and, really? Pirating at work? Serious pro's, those guys.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Well...considering how so much gets leaked to the torrents these days (before the product/movie is even out), one would assume the sources themselves at least have employees that engage in piracy.

So it's not really that surprising, though it also didn't take my usual cynical attitude to arrive at that conclusion ('surprisingly?').

No honor among thieves, eh?

Desworks

Nov 18, 2009
According to this wonderful site, my housemates have been downloading all sorts of things. Also, according to the website, I am some sort of crazy ninja downloader, as nothing I have ever downloaded appears on the list. My anime collection remains hidden for another day!

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
Well whaddya know I haven't torrented ANYTHING AT ALL . . . . according to that site. Heh. That screams volumes to it's accuracy. Although due to website rules I won't say exactly how it screams volumes. You know wouldn't want to advocate or admit to piracy or anything.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Wow my record on that site is really bad
I should get to work on fixing that asap.