Command & Conquer Goes MMO With Tiberium Alliances

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Command & Conquer Goes MMO With Tiberium Alliances

Closed beta testing is about to begin on Command & Conquer: Tiberium Alliances, a new free-to-play MMO strategy game from EA.

It sure is a good time to be a Tiberian [http://www.amazon.com/Command-Conquer-Renegade-Pc/dp/B00005N7YM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1323887691&sr=8-1] continuity. Players will forge and break alliances as they go to war with one another and battle hordes of mutant enemies.

The game is being developed by EA Phenomic, which has previously developed the Spellforce games, BattleForge and Lord of Ultima. The studio is, of course, thrilled and pleased and looking forward to delivering an experience that will excite old and new fans alike.

Tiberium Alliances will boast live status streams and real-time news updates, forcing players to react to situations as they unfold. Built with HTML 5 technology, the game can be accessed by standard web browsers and mobile devices alike, making it the first "truly portable MMO."

There's not much to say beyond the usual press release talking points right now, but if this sounds like your cup of tea you can sign up for the closed beta, which begins on December 15 - yes, that's tomorrow - at tiberiumalliances.com [tiberiumalliances.com].

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
It sure is a good time to be a Command & Conquer [http://www.amazon.com/Command-Conquer-Renegade-Pc/dp/B00005N7YM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1323887691&sr=8-1] fan.
Not if you still remember Westwood. Hell, I think the franchise has hit rock bottom, what with the likes of Tiberium Twilight. As for Generals, it just came across as a transparent attempt to ape other popular RTS games of the time to me. In light of this, you'll forgive my relative lack of enthusiasm.

But hey, maybe EA has learned their lesson. Maybe they'll listen to the fans and make a title worthy of the C&C franch-PPPFFFFTTT

Dammit, I can never tell that joke with a straight face.

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
They didn't fuck it up enough with Command & Conquer 4? They INSIST on fucking it up even further by releasing a sequel to Generals and now a motherfucking MMO of C&C?

Stopdoor

Nov 4, 2011
I enjoyed Red Alert 3, Generals 2 looks promising in the same regard, but this looks more like it's aping C&C4's experimental strategy.

Considering my good expectations for End of Nations, this really doesn't seem like it compares other than Brand.

Why is the Tiberium universe the whipping boy?

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
What the f**k is this? C&C? MMO? Seriously?

I thought with C&C Generals 2 it was going to get better, but then this devastating bombshell.

It's just not worth living anymore. So, time to press a nice pointy blade to the jugular artery and...

Nonononono... if I do that, EA win.

That, and this End of Nations looks intriguing.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Scrumpmonkey said:
"It sure is a good time to be a Command & Conquer fan"

Yet our Command and Conquer union only has 14 members : (

Do i smell i Hint of End of Nations here? Because the game is the same kind of format and is being made by Westwood renamed to Petroglyph after the employees left EA.
Post corrected for accuracy purposes.
I must say it'll be interesting to see how it ends up, it's got the potential to be a great MMO, or a huge flop.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Scrumpmonkey said:
RicoADF said:
Scrumpmonkey said:
"It sure is a good time to be a Command & Conquer fan"

Yet our Command and Conquer union only has 14 members : (

Do i smell i Hint of End of Nations here? Because the game is the same kind of format and is being made by Westwood renamed to Petroglyph after the employees left EA.
Post corrected for accuracy purposes.
I must say it'll be interesting to see how it ends up, it's got the potential to be a great MMO, or a huge flop.
Not exactly, the EA studio did retin quite a few original staff in the early 2000s but many simply went onto different studios/ projects. Petroglyph is made up of quite a few Ex westwood employees i admit but it is by no means a direct re-naming.
True that not all have, but a reasonable amount to say that it's basically the crew, minus a few people which really most studios lose and gain new staff over time anyway.
Still I do hope they do well, I have all of Petroglyphs games sofar and their damn good :)