Square Enix Just Got Hacked

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Square Enix Just Got Hacked

Bad news, Square Enix fans: The company has revealed that some "unauthorized access" has taken place on its Square Enix Members servers.

If you were planning to log into the Square Enix Members service today, don't bother. Square has revealed that it detected that "unauthorized access" on the servers (read: "we've been hacked"). As a result, the online service has gone down while the publisher investigates just what happened and figures out how extensive the digital trespassing was.

From the sound of things, it doesn't sound like this is anywhere near as serious as other hacks this year have been (I'm looking at you, Sony):

We are assessing the full extent of this potential breach to determine what data, if any, was compromised and will provide more details as soon as possible. While some personal information may have been accessed, we can confirm that there is no possibility of any credit card information leak from this incident, since the server in question stores no credit card information. We estimate that the suspension will continue for a few days until we complete our investigation and counter-measures. We will update you as we learn more.
Square Enix Members is a loyalty program that dishes out rewards in exchange for players who register Square Enix games with the service. The website does store users' names, addresses, usernames, and passwords.

Hopefully, whoever broke into the servers didn't make off with any information. I guess we'll have to wait and see what Square Enix says about the situation once its investigation is finished.

Source: Massively

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Are we still not over the Sony thing? Really now.

Anyway, why do all of the companies I like get hacked? Square-Enix has never disappointed me. /sad

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
OutrageousEmu said:
Kopikatsu said:
Are we still not over the Sony thing? Really now.

Anyway, why do all of the companies I like get hacked? Square-Enix has never disappointed me. /sad
Wait, what?
Despite how popular it is to hate on them, I liked X-2, XII, and XIII.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Uhm... I will NOT! read: as "We got hacked" because there is more than one thing that "unauthorized access" can mean. Thing is what is the most likely thing to have occurred here is use of inappropriate credentials. I know saying "hacked" does roll off the tongue much easier, but saying it obliterates any accuracy you might have hoped to have had in the absence of evidence proving thats what it was. Given they are still investigating, no proof to that effect has yet to be established.

I really wish I did not have to post like this, but if I see misuse and abuse of the word Im sorry, I have to call bullshit on it.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
"...we can confirm that there is no possibility of any credit card information leak from this incident, since the server in question stores no credit card information."
Captain Obvious is obvious. "They probably don't know who your mom is, for we don't store information about your family. So your mom is safe. Also, they don't know about you saving your money underneath your mattress. So your money is also safe. You're welcome."

But seriously, I'm part of that whole community. I barely log on because there's only so much to do there before you get bored of dressing your avatar over and over again. I know they have my personal info because they sent a Birth by Sleep freebie to me before so...I hope this is nothing serious.
Poor Square-Enix. This just hasn't been its year.

But hey, if we made it past the Sony hack, we can make it past this. Not dissing on Sony! All is forgiven and stuff. I'm just comparing.