Infinity Ward Issuing "Temporary" 13.5 Year MW3 Bans

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Infinity Ward Issuing "Temporary" 13.5 Year MW3 Bans

If you've been banned from Modern Warfare 3, you can start playing again in another 5,000 days.

If you're not playing nicely with others in <a href=http://www.amazon.com/Call-Duty-Modern-Warfare-Xbox-360/dp/B00503E8S2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1323901385&sr=8-1>Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3, Infinity Ward has revealed that it's got no problem banning you from the game. What's kind of hysterical, though, is that even though these bans are pretty much permanent, they're being labeled as "temporary" - even though they last for 13.5 years.

These bans are set to last for 5,000 days ... meaning you can play the game with your friends again if you're willing to wait for over a decade. Infinity Ward Creative Strategist Robert Bowling confirmed the bans when he <a href=https://twitter.com/#!/fourzerotwo/status/146682010423934976>confirmed the truth of this image, stating "If you see this message, it means you've been Permabanned (for something bad)."

Personally, I think this is pretty funny; it's reminiscent of some of the posts you'll find over at Why Was I Banned? One has to wonder, though, how the folks at Infinity Ward actually came up with this length of time when they were deciding punishment lengths.

Source: Joystiq

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
Wow, Call of Duty hate within seconds of this posting. You guys are SO mature.

Anything specific as to what the bannings are for? If its just for being a douche online (Such as smack talk) they're going to lose ALOT of people.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Nice. I love it when people in charge have a sense of humor when they drop the hammer. It's so much more interesting to read about than, "This many people were banned for life."

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
I'd be funny to see a sudden increase of player activity in 13.5 years after a mass ban hammer wide swing.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
That's pretty lulsy of them, even though i've only played MW3 for around 7 hours before quitting. It wasn't really bad. Just mediocre. Mediocre is worse than bad in my opinion though...

Still that ban is funny, makes EA's little [robot voice] "we have banned [insert number here] amount of people from having fun" /robot voice look like shit...

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Well, it IS temporary....

DVS BSTrD said:
Most of those Trolls will be banned for longer than they've been alive.
Think that's why it's a 13.5 year ban? Just so they could top the average age of their users?

razer17

Feb 3, 2009
Terminate421 said:
Wow, Call of Duty hate within seconds of this posting. You guys are SO mature.

Anything specific as to what the bannings are for? If its just for being a douche online (Such as smack talk) they're going to lose ALOT of people.
I've seen a few that got it for boosting. And they admit boosting, and still complain, saying "It didn't happen on the last one!" (although, actually, it did).

Absolutionis

Sep 18, 2008
Mathematically, this is IW being infinitely more lenient than their normal permanent-permaban. Why all the hate? Leniency is good, right?

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Absolutionis said:
Mathematically, this is IW being infinitely more lenient than their normal permanent-permaban. Why all the hate? Leniency is good, right?
Mathematically, yes. Practically, no. I highly doubt the MW3 servers are going to remain operational 13.5 years from now, meaning that it is for all intents and purposes a perma-ban in everything but name.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was a distinct reason behind this. It's possible they did this 'for the luls' but equally possible that there's a rule hamstringing them from perma-bans and so they instead resort to exceedingly long temp-bans.

Miles000

is most likly drunk righyt noiw!
Apr 18, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
Well, it IS temporary....

DVS BSTrD said:
Most of those Trolls will be banned for longer than they've been alive.
Think that's why it's a 13.5 year ban? Just so they could top the average age of their users?
That.... Is actually pure genius.

+1 point to Infinity Ward.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
13.5 year ban is long enough for the CoD fan base to hit puberty and move on from cod.

/troll

natster43

Jul 10, 2009
That is awesome. If only Modern Warfare 3 would be the last one for a while so they can't just buy the next one and be able to play that. Or transfer the ban to the newer games.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Laughing Tumour said:
Leaves a lot of time for said accused individual to think of hacks for what... Call of Duty 22 by then?
CoD 30 by my clock, that is, assuming anyone still gives a shit about CoD, BF or any of the shooters we have now.

but i'm with this guy.
Davih said:
why not just make it a permaban?