Buy (Overpriced) Games With Your Club Nintendo Coins

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Buy (Overpriced) Games With Your Club Nintendo Coins

Nintendo's virtual currency can now be used on classic games, but the price tags are probably heftier than you'd prefer.

Your Club Nintendo coins are normally good for items like patches, greeting cards, and posters. However, Nintendo has revealed that it's got some new redeemable prizes for all of you who own said coins: The publisher is now offering a selection of games on the North American Club Nintendo site.

It sounds like Nintendo is going to be offering games from now on, though the selection will rotate on a monthly basis. Through January 10th, 2012, these are the games that you can exchange your coins for: Super Mario Kart (100 Coins), 3D Classics: Xevious (100 Coins), Fluidity (150 Coins), and Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Minis March Again (150 Coins).

Now, Club Nintendo coins are virtual currency pieces that you receive for free when you buy official Nintendo products. A Wii game will net you somewhere around 50 coins, though other products provide different amounts. So, while the coins are a free bonus, you're still spending a significant amount of cash to earn them. That means you'd have to buy three Wii games in order to get a game that would <a href=http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/qusAr1yYWSwy6mt8LwFo1z6kOISzKRrf>normally cost $8 on Nintendo's eShop.

So, instead of spending your hard-earned coins on some of these games, I'd suggest you save up and snag something like <a href=https://club.nintendo.com/rewards-details/a/11502.do>Legend of Zelda poster set or the <a href=https://club.nintendo.com/rewards-details/a/17008.do;jsessionid=19F94DD147420A1FA6AC9AE93D1A2C4B>Super Star messenger bag.

Source: Joystiq

targren

May 13, 2009
What? A first party overcharging for digital, vendor-locked long-term rental? I am shocked. Shocked, I tell you!

DeMorquist

Dec 15, 2011
The poster set is more points then the games...

Is this like the PSN+ style membership where you get to RENT them for the month or do you own them?

I understand that the eShop sells them for ~$8-10 but still.. its 400 for a poster set and 500 for a messenger bag..

robert022614

meeeoooow
Dec 1, 2009
I got the star messenger bag and it is pretty tiny. Like would be a regular messenger bag to a 14 year old girl. Other than that had some fun with the huge ar games poster and I just bought Mario 3d and pokemon rumble blast so hopefully that should net me something good. Also, if you buy products spend the coins on whatever you want none of the crap they have is omgwtfbbq great. The free zelda cd that came with buying OoT 3d was probably my favorite thing I have gotten from them and it was free.

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
I don't see how the games are considered overpriced when, in the end, Nintendo is handing them out for free.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
That means you'd have to buy three Wii games in order to get a game that would normally cost $8 on Nintendo's eShop.
The real challenge here is to find three Wii games worth buying.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
vansau said:
Your Club Nintendo coins are normally good for items like patches, greeting cards, and posters.
Hang on, patches? Do you mean extra DLC? Because you surely aren't suggesting that people redeem these things that they paid good money to earn on a patch to produce a more stable and bug-free game.

I'm usually a stickler for using proper terminology, but this time I genuinely just want to be sure I haven't misunderstood you, because the alternative is too mind-bogglingly idiotic to comprehend.

robert022614

meeeoooow
Dec 1, 2009
Andronicus said:
vansau said:
Your Club Nintendo coins are normally good for items like patches, greeting cards, and posters.
Hang on, patches? Do you mean extra DLC? Because you surely aren't suggesting that people redeem these things that they paid good money to earn on a patch to produce a more stable and bug-free game.

I'm usually a stickler for using proper terminology, but this time I genuinely just want to be sure I haven't misunderstood you, because the alternative is too mind-bogglingly idiotic to comprehend.
Ha that would be great, but no he is talking about mario patches and the like to put on clothes and stickers and wall decals. That kind of stuff. Also if you spend a ridiculous amount of money in a year you get upgraded to gold status and I got a little calander for it. I was only a few hundred points away from the elite gift of mario pins too 8P.

Zouriz

Apr 28, 2011
I have a lot of coins because I end up buying a lot of 3ds virtual console, 3DSWare, and DSiWare games. Being able to buy games with coins is helpful. I look forward to seeing what games they are going to give out for free. If I don't end up buying them beforehand.

xyrafhoan

Jan 11, 2010
If I want VC games, I might as well buy them. For one, I get 10 coins for having a linked shop account and completing the surveys from buying the game. Two, I'd rather have the neat swag that I have no chance of buying at all. The Zelda posters I got are HUGE, like, the size of posters you see hanging up at the local cinema. I also got the Mario tote bag which is really handy for carrying my school and library books, though it's not really big enough for groceries. And recently, I got the t-shirt, which is pretty big even for a small. And all of the prizes arrive at my house within a week, with free shipping.

tl;dr don't buy digital content with coins, buy the real life swag instead.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Eh, collectibles are collectibles. If you don't care for them, then you're not really in it for the fan swag anyway.

Electric Alpaca

What's on the menu?
May 2, 2011
A lot of whining and moaning about a service that doesn't have to be offered and that no other first party offers.

Why bother Ninetendo, when your fans are so ungrateful and self-entitled?

Projo

Aug 3, 2009
I dug through and old stack of GBA-DS game boxes because I used to be a terrible hoarder and ended up with enough points to qualify for the elite status. Nintendo send me a box of cute Mario themed pins. I for one will enjoy these free classic titles that I get just for being a customer. Haters gonna hate.

robert022614 said:
I got the star messenger bag and it is pretty tiny. Like would be a regular messenger bag to a 14 year old girl.
I ordered it thinking it would be a somewhat cramped makeshift laptop bag. Boy was I wrong!

Lightslei

Feb 18, 2010
Crono1973 said:
That means you'd have to buy three Wii games in order to get a game that would normally cost $8 on Nintendo's eShop.
The real challenge here is to find three Wii games worth buying.
Possibilities for yourself:
1. Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
2. Xenoblade Chronicles
3. Monster Hunter Tri
4. Zelda: Twilight Princess
5. New Super Mario Bros Wii
6. GoldenEye 007
7. Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
8. Super Mario Galaxy
9. Super Mario Galaxy 2
10. Donkey Kong Country Returns
11. Kirby's Return To Dreamland
12. Muramasa: The Demon Blade
13. Okami (although the PS2 one is better)
14. Kirby's Epic Yarn (mostly childish, relaxed fun, I got it for my little cousin, for when he comes over)
15. Sonic Colors
16. Arc Rise Fantasia
17. Rune Factory: Tide of Destiny
18. A Boy And His Blob
19. Fragile Dreams: Ruins of the Moon
20. Spectrobes: Origins
21. Rune Factory: Frontier
22. Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World
23. Rayman: Origins
24. Super Paper Mario
25. Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars
26. Phantom Brave: We Meet Again
27. Shiren: The Wanderer
28. Sid Meir's Pirates
29. Guilty Gear XX Accent Core [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsjXgZt8h8s]
30. Cod: MW3 - Yes, it exists on the Wii
31. Cod: Black Ops - see above
32. Harvest Moon: Animal Parade
33. Drawn to Life: Next Chapter
34. Harvest Moon: Tree of Tranquility
35. Spore Hero
36. Animal Crossing
37. Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's Duel Transer
38. Legend of Spyro: Dawn of the Dragon
39. Mad World - I was told to buy this, bought it, didn't like it personally
40. Crash of the Titans
41. Little King's Story
42. Sonic Unleashed
43. Sonic And The Black Knight
44. Crash Mind Over Mutant
45. Cursed Mountain (only if you get this cheap, I've seen it as low as $3 new)
46. The Kore Gang
47. Disney's Epic Mickey
48. Night's Journey Of Dreams - Personally I loved this one, once I got used to the motion controls
49. Castlevania: Judgement
50. Ivy The Kiwi [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATylRlTKApM]
51. Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-TetGONnHI]
52. Dragon Quest Swords: The Masked Queen And Tower Of Mirrors
53. Silent Hill: Shattered Memories
54. No More Heroes
55. No More Heroes 2
56. Mercury Meltdown: Revolution [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1zVEedUOzU]
57. Elebits [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7c40jvv0Uug] -- WARNING: MAD WEIRD
58. Marble Saga Koroinpa [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjtX6xh-9Wo] -- WARNING: MAD WEIRD
59. Harvest Moon: Magical Melody
60. The Spiderwick Chronicles [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88-PQKITVkQ]
61. Animal Crossing: City Folk
62. Monster Lab
63. Tournament of Legends [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWx2qWnPCFM]
64. Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers
65. Valhalla Knights: Eldar Saga [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NymJPb2tps]
66. Dragon Blade: Wrath of Fire
67. Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time
68. Dewy's Adventure
69. SPRay
70. Obscure: The Aftermath
71. Sam And Max 2: Beyond Time And Space
72. Sonic And The Secret Rings
73. Heavenly Guardian - Be warned I've seen people praise this game and rip it apart for the same thing, buy cheap if you can
74. Manhunt 2
75. Soul Calibur Legends
76. Baroque
77. Rygar: The Battle of Argus
78. Octomania
79. The Legend of Spyro: The Eternal Night
80. Super Monkey Ball: Step And Roll
81. Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz
82. Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands
83. Pokemon: Battle Revolution
84. Destroy All Humans: Big Willy Unleashed

If you don't mind the Lego games:
85. LEGO: Star Wars The Complete Saga
86. LEGO: Harry Potter Years 5-7
87. LEGO: Batman
88. LEGO: Indiana Jones
89. LEGO: Harry Potter Years 1-4
90. LEGO: Pirates of the Caribbean
91. LEGO: Indian Jones 2 The Adventure Continues

Straight Out For parties:
92. Super Smash Bros Brawl
93. Mario Kart Wii
94. Just Dance 3
95. Mario Party 8
96. Mario Party 9

*This list currently ignores all anime related, Guitar & Rockband related materials, as well as games I just kind of go "huh" at, most fighters and fps'. Also every sport game because I think it's stupid to buy a game that's going to be worth $1 in a year or two.
*This list also ignores anything I kind of view as a "Bejeweled Clone" since there are so many free versions.
*This list also ignores anything that looks, seems or remotely screams "Move cash-in".
*I stopped looking once I was only getting repeats of games already on the list.
*Not all games on this list are considered great for everyone, some are considered childish, "stupid" or otherwise, it is your decision to research them before buying them, rather than just going "OH he made a list, he must know what he's talking about!"
*I am ignoring fanboyism hatred, the games selected on this list ranked at least 60% on their reviews through Amazon, minus the games that are listed twice with 5 stars on one, and one star on the other x.x..

I'll add more links to trailers when I have time, preferabally when I don't have work in the morning. I welcome everyone to put their own opinions of these games, to buy or not, etc, why, what they thought of them, as well as add anything to the list. I know, I'm getting a lot of shifty eyes right now.

*This list, is just a list of "POTENTIAL GOOD BUYS FOR THE WII", do not ignore the first word.

So this list comes out to about 1/20th of the library :/.