3DS Sells Faster than Any Console in Australian History

Marshall Honorof

Feb 16, 2011
3DS Sells Faster than Any Console in Australian History

After moving 200,000 units in less than nine months, the 3DS has become the fastest-selling system Down Under.

There seem to be very two different narratives going on regarding the 3DS. One from Nintendo portrays it as a system that got off to a rough start, but picked up considerable momentum [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/114477-3DS-Outperforming-the-DS] after a price drop and some decent titles. Many fans, however, view the system as a gimmicky, inconvenient device that is doomed to fail (no link is necessary here; simply observe the comments section for this post). Regardless of what you think of the 3DS, one thing is clear: The system is picking up considerable steam in Australia. Thirty-seven weeks after its Australian launch, the 3DS has sold over 200,000 units, making it the nation's fastest-selling system ever.

Data comes by way of the NPD Group, which has measured 3DS sales since its Australian launch on March 31, 2011. Analysts will likely come up with a number of reasons why this system has piqued Australia's interest more than any handheld or console that's come before it, but so far, the numbers speak for themselves. The impressive sales figure likely has something to do with the system's price drop in August, which reduced the cost of a 3DS from AUS$350 to AUS$250, combined with the release of popular titles such as Super Mario Land 3D [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/8959-The-Legend-of-Zelda-Ocarina-of-Time-Review.2].

For now, 3DS sales seem to have stabilized at worst and skyrocketed at best. Selling a lot of consoles in a short period of time is a promising sign, but the real test of the 3DS will be how well it performs over the course of a few years. Nintendo can probably expect to sit pretty through the holiday season, but nothing is certain after that. The breakout success of the original DS came as a big surprise to the gaming world; can Nintendo replicate its success with the addition of a single dimension?

Source: Gamasutra [http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/39165/Newsbrief_Nintendo_3DS_FastestSelling_Console_Ever_in_Australia.php]

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
That's 200,000 people who will be irritated when the redesign, with the second analog nub built in, comes.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
Many fans, however, view the system as a gimmicky, inconvenient device that is doomed to fail (no link is necessary here; simply observe the comments section for this post)
The problem with this observation is that per usual, a small disgruntled minority are far more vocal than anyone-else and so this isn't a reliable measure of whether the 3DS will eventually see success. I seem to remember that both the original DS and Wii got mountains of hate online around their early years and now each are best-selling of their generation. Apparent fan-backlash means little compared to actual hard numbers.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
JoJoDeathunter said:
Many fans, however, view the system as a gimmicky, inconvenient device that is doomed to fail (no link is necessary here; simply observe the comments section for this post)
The problem with this observation is that per usual, a small disgruntled minority are far more vocal than anyone-else and so this isn't a reliable measure of whether the 3DS will eventually see success. I seem to remember that both the original DS and Wii got mountains of hate online around their early years and now each are best-selling of their generation. Apparent fan-backlash means little compared to actual hard numbers.
You don't remember the Wii being sold out everywhere for the first few years? Today the Wii gets mountains of hate but not at launch or so I recall. The Wii also didn't require a 1/3 price cut in the first 5 months of it's life. Just sayin...

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Crono1973 said:
That's 200,000 people who will be irritated when the redesign, with the second analog nub built in, comes.
This was understandable on the PSP but on the NDS? Why do you need a second nub? You can already aim with the touch screen! Or did they forgot that part of the console while enjoying the 3D?

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Nouw said:
Crono1973 said:
This was understandable on the PSP but on the NDS? Why do you need a second nub? You can already aim with the touch screen! Or did they forgot that part of the console while enjoying the 3D?
You haven't been keeping up with the 3DS news have you?

They designed an attachment to add a second analog nub, it's fugly. Anyway, next they will likely redesign the 3DS to include the new attachment. Nintendo loves redesigning it's handhelds.

http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/716119/nintendo-3ds-getting-second-analog-stick-via-cradle-attachment/

Zouriz

Apr 28, 2011
The 3DS sure has gotten some amazing numbers lately. Monster Hunter has made it a HUGE hit in Japan. Third party support seems to be increasing. All it needs is some good 1st party support and it should do just fine. If it keeps selling at this rate, it may do better than the DS. I wonder if the Vita can complete. I don't want it to fail. I want one.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
I wonder if the Vita can complete.
Well, Sony is doing everything it can think of to kill the Vita but it's hard to do worse than a 3D gimmick. However, overpriced memory sticks, large price tag and one account per Vita (without a reformat) is really making the Vita look worse than the 3DS. I didn't think Sony could do it but...

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
Crono1973 said:
I though it was a peripheral? Not a redesign?

OT: I am glad of this! It's really is a good console! I deployed with one, and it really helped my 6 month tour pass like a flash!! :p I definatly reccomend them to people! And whats gimmicky about portable gaming, that is more fun and immersive than mobile gaming!?

Elementary - Dear Watson

Nov 9, 2010
OutrageousEmu said:
DeanoTheGod said:
Crono1973 said:
I though it was a peripheral? Not a redesign?

OT: I am glad of this! It's really is a good console! I deployed with one, and it really helped my 6 month tour pass like a flash!! :p I definatly reccomend them to people! And whats gimmicky about portable gaming, that is more fun and immersive than mobile gaming!?
Its a peripheral to make it actually work and give it good control. Every worthwhile (or rather, more worthwhile than the drivel it has now) upcoming game is using it. Its optional in the same way a hard drive for the 360 is optional.

And its gimmicky cause the only thing to set it apart from other handhelds (the 3D) is a gimmick. The 3DS isn't the only dedicated gaming handheld on the market, man.
Thats true, but personally I find it more accessible and entertaining than my PSP, and use it far more! It's what I wanted it for, simple and intuitive games! And not all the games are Drivel! Ocarina of time is as good as it always was, and looks even better in 3D, Pokemon Rumble Blast is great and so is Super Mario 3D land! I havent played any others, I tend to go back catalogue at the mo because I like playing RPG's more, but I cannot wait for more games to be released! MGS is going to be Legen-(I hope you're not lactose intolerant because the last pasrt is:'-Dairy! :p

F4LL3N

May 2, 2011
It's no surpise, really. You can say "only because of the price drop" all you want, but the truth is, it's still fairly expensive. You can pick up a decent size TV for $200 these days. Then add $50 a game. Besides, I don't think the 3D is a gimmick at all. They marketed it as if it's a gimmick, but as you see with Super Mario it's actually really cool if it's done right.

I'm thinking Microsoft and Sony might try to make glasses free 3D home consoles next.

DeanoTheGod said:
Pokemon Rumble Blast is great
Can you tell me a little bit about it? I've been considering getting it, but I haven't exactly heard anything saying it's great. Only, "buy it if you like the inclusion of Pokemon".

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
Crono1973 said:
JoJoDeathunter said:
You don't remember the Wii being sold out everywhere for the first few years? Today the Wii gets mountains of hate but not at launch or so I recall. The Wii also didn't require a 1/3 price cut in the first 5 months of it's life. Just sayin...
That's exactly my point, the Wii sold well despite a great number of naysayers online who existed then just as much as they do now. The fact that the 3DS has sold faster than any console in Australian history shows that it certainly has potential and isn't "doomed to fail", even if it isn't the runaway success that the Wii was and still suffers from a lack of games.

Elementary - Dear Watson

Nov 9, 2010
OutrageousEmu said:
DeanoTheGod said:
OutrageousEmu said:
DeanoTheGod said:
Crono1973 said:
Snip
Snip
Snip
Snip
Well, as I said, I am in the military... I can't play my XBox on deployments, or when constantly moving bases on courses and visits, or on exercises! Yep, my DS goes with me everywhere! Don't get me wrong! I don't play it anywhere near as much than when I am at home with all my set up, but thats a rarity nowadays, my living situation is too fluid for console gaming... I have an Amazon wish list of 15 games that I want to buy and play, but don't have the time, yet for the DS I get them anytime as I play them anywhere! As I said, it was an awesome companion when I was in the desert... My XBox was not...!

F4LL3N said:
Can you tell me a little bit about it? I've been considering getting it, but I haven't exactly heard anything saying it's great. Only, "buy it if you like the inclusion of Pokemon".
I really enjoy it! I've only had it a few days, but there is definately some challenge there! There is a bit of variety in the game play, and the level of strategy in the game is definately limited to those who play pokemon often/ know the 'what is good against what' tables! I forget sometimes, and make the game harder than it should be, but the game overall is good for just picking up and putting down! It really is for pokemon fans though, as the inclusion of the pokemon is more of an aesthetic thing than the RPS's, as there is not as much lore or even text in the game!

It is fun though, and the frantic 2 button attacks works well! There is some tactical decision making as well to choose which pokemon w/ which moves you are going to deploy in the different themed areas. You are constantly 'befriending' more and more pokemon too! In a few hours playing I had ammassed over 3 hundred pokemon! And with no leveling up or experience collecting in the game this provides the challenge. It also means that there is more ballancing of the pokemon than in the RPG versions. You don't have a set team that you level up and rarely swap member in and out of in this game, you are constantly trying out new members, and having a favourite for a while, that then will be swapped out when a stronger model comes along!

The 3D works really well too, although its nothing groungvreaking as most of the game is set through a set camera angle and distance, and the character models have been simplised to account for the fact they are 'wind-up toys' and not the creatures. This works though in its own way, and the game never feels like its trying too hard.

Overall, its not the gameplay you'd expect from a full title, but it's good enough as a standalone, and as I said, you can easitly pick up and put down so it is perfect for bus rides, or tea breaks!

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
The hell...

Eh, we are a strange country. Good to know we still support Nintendo though. Maybe I'll drop into their offices near my house sometime...

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
People always talk about things they don't know.
And there is the fact that hating Nintendo over the internet is cool, even tho most of those haters are going to buy a console from Nintendo.

People say that the whole console is gimmicky. I think that at worst, only the 3D part could be considered that, although I like it.
What people don't understand is that the 3DS is a really strong handheld and is really cheap for it's power. The games are great even without the 3D.
The whole console is worth buying even without the 3D option. That option is just a cherry on the cake.

harvz

Jun 20, 2010
price is a big point that needs to be made, the fact when its around $200 for a 3ds and im having difficulties buying a ps3 for less than $300 ($350 minimum at eb games for smallest HD with no games) despite it being fairly old hardware.

not to mention that its becoming much more common, although, didnt stop me being stared at by an old lady in a doctors waiting room for an hour (due to me playing a game) because the doctor was extremely late.