Behold the Skyrim Online Mod

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Behold the Skyrim Online Mod

Bethesda might not be making an Elder Scrolls MMO, but that won't stop fans from doing so.

One question that keeps reverberating through the halls of Skyrim as you play is: wouldn't this game be great to play with friends? I personally do not have a reason to make Skyrim massively multiplayer - even when I play an MMO, I mostly play solo - but there is something interesting about putting persistence and living personalities behind all those NPCs you meet. A mod author has made the first steps of turning Bethesda's open world single-player game into an online multiplayer masterpiece - complete with naked avatars.

The mod is far from complete. It looks buggy as hell and animations of players logged in to the server are non-existent. On the other hand, simply having characters move around and face a certain direction in a client running this mod is an achievement.

Now, I'm not positive if this mod is a good thing, but it certainly shows some ingenuity. Being able to enter an online mode where you can see other people logged into a server is pretty dang cool, even if the the game Bethesda wrote didn't include any kind of multiplayer at all. If someone can make this mod without the benefits of the Creation Kit, can you imagine what kinds of things we'll see when it drops in January [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/114495-Skyrim-Creation-Kit-Out-in-January-Goodbye-Backwards-Dragons]?

But honestly, I'm not sure that I would want multiplayer clogging up my Skyrim What do you guys think? Would you download a multiplayer mod? Should Bethesda include multiplayer in their Elder Scroll games or is singleplayer enough for you?

Source: VG247 [http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=abs_yGod5MQ]

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Yeah, I wouldn't want multiplayer (especially not PvP) in my Skyrim, just like I don't want it in my KotOR. I don't want other people invading my experience, and PvP balancing tends to make leveling more on rails and boring (for example: you can't make a Jedi Gunslinger in The Old Republic. Huge bummer).

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
If players will eventually be able to create their own servers so they can play with just their friends, and if it doesn't mess up my single-player save files, I'll download this in a heartbeat. So fucking awesome. But I'd only want to play with people I knew.

Sep 14, 2009
in skyrim i don't see it that big of a deal, i'll just play the game like diablo/borderlands, make my own room and if my friends join in for some fun, doing quests and what not, then awesome, if not, no big deal, the game is great on it's own.

Thistlehart

Nov 10, 2010
Judging from this video? No, Skyrim does not need silly people crowding up the gate to Whiterun or running around and slamming into NPCs.

If I wanted to see **69IMGAWD69** hopping up and down and bumping into the blacksmith when I'm trying to use the forge, I'd play an MMO. Multiplayer doesn't always improve a gaming experience, especially when you have to log into a server full of faceless half-wits.

Skyrim is meant to be as much an experience as a game. That experience would, in no way, be enhanced by having a dozen water-headed spazoids flailing about like sugared-up five-year-olds spouting Chuck Norris jokes. I would hate to see Bethesda taking time away from developing their world to make room for that nonsense.

Comando96

May 26, 2009
:O

This is why I am a PC gamer.

No... not for online Skyrim... I think that's a... underdeveloped idea.

I am a PC gamer for the fucking gob smacking Mods on offer! Creativity like this increases the longevity of a game almost indefinitely.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
I'm going to say it would be fun if it was with just 1 or 2 friends, like a party or something, but as an MMO, I'll pass.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
This is just too cool.

Not because I'm a fan of the MMO Skyrim idea. But because it -can be done-.

It's kind of confusing, but it's like...they have the power to do all this crap, and thus, I wanna try it once it's complete. I can just imagine the infinite possibilities the creation kit will bring

Also, I'm going to cry blood tears if the Second Life community uses skyrim to play out furry-sex fantasies. T__T

Not on mai skyrimmm

UltimatheChosen

Mar 6, 2009
One thing that a lot of people don't realize is that implementing multiplayer is a LOT harder than it seems.

At this point, all we really have is a proof-of-concept. But with each new feature added, the difficulty of programming it goes up by an order of magnitude.

Torchlight is a good example of this. Someone came up with something similar, but the project didn't really get beyond the basic level like what we see here because it got so much more complicated to implement core gameplay features.

GrizzlerBorno

Sep 2, 2010
I don't understand is this like a single open server that anyone can join like a normal MMORPG? Or does this just let you set up a (private) server so that your buddies can drop into your game and play with you? Cause the latter is PERFECTLY FINE. In fact it's fucking awesome! Co-op Skyrim would be insanely fun. I approve.

godofallu

Jun 8, 2010
It doesn't look very good yet, but one day I will beat Skyrim in Coop.

It would be like real time D&D, you just need to make areas larger and scale enemy health based around the amount of players.

Rogue archer sniping in back while stealthed while the giant warrior charges in and the mage buffs and frys from afar.

F4LL3N

May 2, 2011
It's less buggy than the vanilla. Bam Whackity Wam.

Nuh, I think it'd be cool. But you'd possibly need additional mods that make it harder and actually give a reason to have more than one player. As of right now, not one aspect is really designed for multiple players.

A simple little horde mode would be great though. Get a couple of people together, fight waves of skeletons, giants, dragons, etc. That, and a Dragon Racing mod would be kickass.

Arkley

Mar 12, 2009
2~4 player co-op in Skyrim is something I'd really like to see officially implemented. There'd be challenges to overcome in creating it, certainly, and they'd have to ensure that any additional content released for co-op play is equally playable in single player (lest the BAAWWWWWWWWing from the single-player-only crowd become deafening), but it could be done, and it could be great.

Being able to drop in and out of each other's worlds to help out with quests, maybe trade items or just dick around would be fantastic fun. I don't want to see the Elder Scrolls series go full Borderlands or whatever, but - in my opinion at least - the land of Skyrim is begging to be explored with friends.