Update: DC Universe Online Offers Awful Pun with "Season's Greedings" - For Free

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Update: DC Universe Online Offers Awful Pun with "Season's Greedings" - For Free

The free to play MMO has somewhat holiday-themed content for your heroes or villains to consume.

Update: Sony Online's PR clarified that "Season's Greedings" is absolutely free for all players. The content for DCUO has a bit of a nomenclature that they cleared up for me. All "game updates" - which "Season's Greedings" falls under - are free while "DLC Packs" are free for Legendary players who pay a monthly fee while Free and Premium players would have to purchase them piecemeal. So, you can fight the Orange Lantern Corps without paying a dime, but if you want to use Light or Lightning powers on Agent Orange, you have to pay for the "Fight for the Light" or "Lightning Strikes" DLC respectively.

Original: DC Universe Online has had an eventful year. Debuting on both the PC and the PS3 in early 2011, the action-based MMO was fun to play, and boxed sales were high. In October though, SOE said DCUO was switching over force ring power a la the Green Lantern [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/113130-Play-DC-Universe-Online-For-Free-Starting-in-October], and this Christmas is no different as SOE announced a pack with a terrible pun for a name - Season's Greedings.

[gallery=585]

Both Gotham and Metropolis are now decorated for the holidays, which is nice. But heroes and villains alike will have to contend with the Orange Lantern Corps and their leader Larfleeze. Like the Green Lanterns embody willpower and the Sinestro Corp use yellow light to bring fear, Larfleeze is known as Agent Orange and he uses the orange light of greed and avarice to steal the identities of people he kills. These poor souls end up as the Orange Lantern Corps, which you'll be able to kill in DCUO, before eventually tackling Agent Orange himself. You know, because he's gone all Grinch on Metropolis, stealing presents from little Timmy.

"Being a greedy little guy, it makes sense that Larfleeze wants all of the holiday presents for himself," Sony said. "As the player, it's up to you to track down the stolen presents, battle Larfleeze's deadly orange light constructs."

Get it, that's why the DLC is called "Season's Greedings." Get it? Eh? Eh? Enh...

I haven't picked up DCUO in a while, even though I loved the first few levels and the design of Gotham and Metropolis, but creating a Green Lantern hero and taking out Agent Orange might just pull me back in. And hey, it's free, so why not?

Although, on second thought, I'm not sure whether "Season's Greedings" is freely available without one of the premium subscriptions. The three-tiered structure means the free players still have to buy DLC, while Premium and Legendary players get it for free. I'll check this tonight, but does anyone know if you have to fork over cash for "Season's Greedings"?

Source: PlayStation Blog [http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/12/19/seasons-greedings-from-dc-universe-online/#]

Grospoliner

Feb 16, 2010
Well the Light and Lightning based power sets are not free, you do have to pay 10 dollars for each...

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
The packs are free to those who pay premiums. As far as I'm aware... I mean I paid for a few months and I got both packs for free. But they're not standard for f2p accounts.

Edit: Mind you I paid for a few months subscription prior to the switchover to F2P so that may have been consolation for my payments...

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
On the fifth day of Christmas, DC gave to me...FIVE ORANGE RINGS!

I think I'd better leave town. That one's likely to get me lynched.