Preview the Doctor Who MMO

Marshall Honorof

Feb 16, 2011
Preview the Doctor Who MMO

The Doctor needs your help in a new free-to-play MMO.

If you've ever watched Doctor Who, you've probably imagined what it would like to be one of the good Doctor's famous companions. Wouldn't it be great to step into the TARDIS and join the Doctor on his innumerable adventures through time and space, trading witty banter as you save the universe? The upcoming MMO, Doctor Who: Worlds in Time [http://www.doctorwhowit.com/] will let you do just that. If you just can't wait to create your avatar, wield your very own sonic screwdriver, and piece the cosmos back together, though, you're in luck. As of today, the game is in previews, and open, free of charge, to Whovians everywhere.

The setup for the game is fairly typical Doctor Who fare: The timestream has become fragmented, and isolated shards of time are tearing the cosmos apart. The Doctor, a time-traveling adventurer, has recruited you to track down these shards while resolving domestic disputes, tracking down hidden vaults, and defeating otherworldly villains by playing a number of minigames. Depending on the situation, players will need to play variations on classic puzzle games such as Pipe Dream, Bejeweled, and Tetris, which allow your character to unlock doors, outwit conversationalists, or beat up mechanical men.

The game embraces the freemium model, but the in-game purchases seem pretty tame so far. While none of the content seems to be inaccessible to free players, those who feel overburdened by cash can spend it on Chronons. These Chronons can buy more actions per day (needed to go on new adventures) or purchase expensive items, from clothing to furniture (for your room in the TARDIS) to sonic screwdriver upgrades. As of right now, though, players can buy all of the in-game items with currency earned from quests, and actions replenish daily.

While the game is still far from finished, it doesn't cost anything to play, so it's worth a look for Doctor Who fans. The minigames can be long-winded, but the dialogue is relentlessly clever, and the graphics are charming. Besides, unless you have a TARDIS handy, this preview is likely the only way you'll get to play the MMO before its official release. Come along, players.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-12-20-play-doctor-who-worlds-in-time-mmo-today]

CobraX

Jul 4, 2010
DO NOT WANT

What is with that horrible Art Style? Why does everything need to be turned into a MMO? Why Does Everything have to be bloody F2P? Why can't it just be A Single Player RPG based off Doctor Who that actually looks like Doctor Who, not some Weird Flash Cartoon?!

...I'll give it a try, but I don't have high hopes at all.

At least It's good to hear that so far The F2P Store/Buying In Game Items is not a big part of the game.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Looks cool I guess, but I have no idea what these races are, especially the second one.

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuUUUUUUUUUUUGHHH*grooooan*

pardon me but this just screams "will not do justice to the material".

I'm sorry, but a game that advertises its main mechanics as

'puzzles such as pipe Dream, Bejeweled, and Tetris,'

to paraphrase,

does not seem appropriate Doctor Who fair to me. I hate to be presumptuous, but it just really seems to me like one of "THOSE" ftp games. You know. The kind with very sloppily animated avatars whom you can buy ridiculous clothing for, while not being able to actually DO much of anything within the game itself.

I'll try it eventually. Hopefully it'll surprise me. But given Doctor Who's history in regards to games, I'm going with probably not.

DalekJaas

Dec 3, 2008
Another awful attempt at a Dr Who game, at least it will be in the same vein as the recent seasons of the TV show then.

Valanthe

Sep 24, 2009
Played it, got about five minutes in and got utterly irate at the stupid pipes minigame, might be fun for others, but for me, this game just has too much going wrong with it.

Feb 13, 2008
And I'm already signing in. What I've been waiting for.

Edit: They've certainly captured his vocal technique.

Edit2: It's very like Puzzle Pirates. Unlocking is done with Puzzle Bobble, Wits is done with swapping, Combat is done with Tetris. Quite fun.

And bowties are still cool.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
Not sure if want.

It will probably be already filled with avatars calling themselves "The Doctor" -_-

I will give it a go none the less.

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
Well Im giving it a try, I like Puzzle pirates so it cant be that bad (I like Tetris ok!)

Puddleknock

Sep 14, 2011
Every part of my logic is telling me to stay away from this as it will most likely be awful. That said I'm not a very logical person so off I go...

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
TimeLord said:
Not sure if want.

It will probably be already filled with avatars calling themselves "The Doctor" -_-

I will give it a go none the less.
You know, that was what I liked about Star Wars: Galaxies. They had software in the character creator stopping you from using character names.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Sorry, no, my freemium web-based gaming time is taken up by other games with more captivating writing. (Cough, Echo Bazaar.) Best of luck to 'em, though.

Rensenhito

Jan 28, 2009
Eh. I would have liked this when I was about 14. Now, though, I'm not so keen on the whole F2P scene. Besides, the sound design and animations are terrible.
Now, if this were a full-fledged MMO, I'd be really freaking excited, though confused as to how they'd make it work.