98: Ninety Percent of You Die

p1ne

Nov 20, 2007
Playing it sounds onerous enough, so I can only imagine the incredible Asperger's Syndrome-havin' mind/s that must have designed this game. That there are people out there who would do such a thing is a testament to the sheer range of different kinds of weirdness present in human beings.

Thanks for the brainfood Russ. I don't play oldschool dice-rolling RPGs and I never did, but this article is still a perfect example of why I keep coming back to this site.

Feb 13, 2008
Rules for everything?

Has it rules for Critical Fumbles in Giving Birth and Spells/Character Classes for Magical Midwifery?

Rolemaster does. Although I don't think that's a good thing.

As for the others, in my delicate and probably heavily biased opinion:
CoC has an atrocious ruleset understood only by Lotus 123 enthusiasts. Even Sandy Petersen didn't like it that much.
Shadowrun works your biceps from the skip full of d6 you'll need for one action.
CP2020 suffers from UBERUBERUBERCYBORGS or dull as heck Netrunning.
WOD was so far up it's own back passage. (Yes, Mages can take a hit from a .50 DUP round to the head and keep going) and Requiem just took the same background and gave it new rules.

Anything d20 deserves to be skinned and dunked in a salt bath.

And unfortunately that doesn't leave many game systems (that are still being published) left.

Personally I'd look up something like All Flesh Must Be Eaten or the like with much simpler rules and then just get a good atmosphere going. Makes a lot of difference.