98: The End Is Definitely Nigh

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
"'My favorite angle on the zombie apocalypse is that once all of a city's survivors are dead, it's actually quite peaceful out there. I've not pushed it too much in Urban Dead, but it's been nice to pass through the occasional suburb where every safe house has been broken open, and you've got hundreds of zombies just milling quietly around what was once their home.'"

Shannon Drake speaks to the creator of Urban Dead.
The End Is Definitely Nigh

Jul 19, 2006
The key to a truly enjoyable Urban Dead experience is to join a good group, like The RRF [http://wiki.urbandead.com/index.php/The_Ridleybank_Resistance_Front] for example - if you're a zombie. Better yet, join one of the RRF's strike teams and play a key part in the effort to stamp out those filthy harmans!

I used to be a member of The GMT Breakfast Club [http://wiki.urbandead.com/index.php/GMT_Breakfast_Club] - one of the oldest RRF strike groups in the game - and they're an absolute scream to play with. The group congregates on IRC every morning and, for about 20 blood-soaked mintues, shreds those souless breathers limb from limb. Then they all fall down again and go back to sleep for another 24 hours.

What's nice about Urban Dead is that you can roleplay as little or as much as you like, contributing to the (now-considerable) mythos, or merely observing it as you pass by. UD's also great if your play time is limited or you don't want to spend hours in front of a screen. I recommend anyone even remotely interested in MMOGs, traditional roleplaying games or turn-based strategy give it a go.

And you could do a lot worse than joining The GMT--just tell them Mardigan sent you!

Shannon Drake

Jul 11, 2006
Yeah, I never joined the groups, but that was part of what impressed me. The community really took the ball and ran with it (frequently in a hilarious way), and he's stayed out of the way and let it flourish in its own eccentric direction.

Landslide

Jun 13, 2002
I just made a firefighter, and ran outside and hacked a zombie to death. Then i searched and found a pistol - then noticed a mall was nearby. So I ran over there, and started hacking at the barricades, so I could get inside and find supplies. But I wasn't paying attention, and now I'm asleep in front of the mall doors, covered in zombie grime.

I don't think it bodes well.

falselogic

Jul 18, 2006
I played for a about 30 minutes today. It looks interesting, but, and this is the problem with all MMOs, the other players didn't seem friendly. No one talked to me and any comments/questions I had were ignored. I'm sure the game can be fun. The fun though stems mostly from doing it as a group, being part of something. Thats hard to find unless you bring it with you it seems...

ThePimpOfSound

Jun 5, 2007
Falselogic-

You're probably not being ignored, but rather the people you're talking to aren't signed in and won't see what you're saying until the next time they play. You'll find that especially as a beginner, much of the game takes place while you're not there.

I've actually found that most people are friendlier than those who occupy the average online game. Plenty of people have given me advice as a newbie, and when I've run into groups they've always offered their hospitality, even when I tell them I'm not interested in joining them.

Though I can't say for sure why people act so nice, I guess it's partly because even talking takes up precious energy, so it's pointless to waste too much of it on vitriol. Also, it's possible the truly malicious players have decided to be zombies, and they can only speak with a limited vocabulary (though there are a few human teamkiller groups).