SOPA Debate Postponed to 2012

Hevva

Shipwrecked, comatose, newsie
Aug 2, 2011
SOPA Debate Postponed to 2012

Further debate on the Stop Online Piracy Act, which has been labeled as an attempt at internet censorship by a variety of online service providers, has been pushed back to early 2012.

The friends [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stop_Online_Piracy_Act] as SOPA) is a controversial piece of legislation which spent the latter parts of 2011 meandering its way through Congress, attracting derision from all corners of the internet as it went. The debate continued right into this week, with no side making any real progress. As such, any futher debate on SOPA has been pushed back until the Congressional festive hibernation period ends in January 2012.

In a way, this is good news; the delay will give organized opponents of the legislation more time to fine-tune arguments and points from internet engineers, lawyers, and others. Said opponents include Google, Facebook, YouTube, Reddit and just about every other major internet service which derives a large chunk of its content from users posting or reposting film or music clips without the express permission of the copyright holder.

For the most part, these companies are upset that in addition to having the potential to put them out of business and make posting copyrighted material a felony, SOPA could also break the entire internet. [http://www.extremetech.com/computing/109533-how-sopa-could-actually-break-the-internet]

The sadder side of this news appears to be no one side has yet gained any traction over the other, leaving the debate a deflated, sighing mess. According to the Washington Post [http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/lawmakers-trade-barbs-in-hearing-on-stop-online-piracy-act/2011/12/15/gIQAqDnwwO_story.html], Representative Mel Watt (D-N.C.) became so irritated with opponents of the bill requesting hearings with internet engineers that he "tactically" forced a clerk spend 45 minutes reading the bill out loud. Even more worryingly, Watt is reported to have said later in the debate that, "A lot of money has been floating around on a lot of different issues...It's not worthy for us to be talking about who got bought off by whom."

SOPA is offensive to much of what we internet users take for granted, mostly the way we've become used to sharing our favorite snippets of copyrighted media without having a law like SOPA destroy the websites we use to share such things. If you'd like to add your voice to the those opposing the bill, you can find the anti-SOPA petition right here [https://wwws.whitehouse.gov/petitions/%252F%21/petition/veto-sopa-bill-and-any-other-future-bills-threaten-diminish-free-flow-information/g3W1BscR#%21/petition/veto-sopa-bill-and-any-other-future-bills-threaten-diminish-free-flow-information/g3W1BscR]. Thanks to the holiday break, you now also have an extra few weeks to contact your Representative and inform them of your feelings as regards the legislation.

Source: Washington Post [http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-tech/post/sopa-online-piracy-bill-markup-postponed/2011/12/20/gIQA6s7a7O_blog.html]

Apr 28, 2008
Non-US people can also use this:

http://americancensorship.org/modal/state-dept-petition/index.html

You know, so you can actually try and do something instead of hoping the US government doesn't do something stupid.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
I'm not American so I can't contact my congressman or whatever to protest this. To be honest I always feel uncomfortable getting involved with other countries' politics. It's none of my business.

While I'd like there to be a farytale ending where at the last minute the bill is thrown out and good prevails, but I have a sinking feeling this bill will pass in one form or another.

Also can I say I think this bill has some good ideas? Specifically the restrictions on counterfeit medications. That is something that needs to be far more tightly controlled. However, unlike Youtube clips of Kanye West, those things actually can kill people since they aren't regulated and tested like legitimate drugs.

Wild_Marker

Mar 31, 2011
That's the thing, they put a bill with two products that should have diferent regulations to make it more likely to pass, as it's confusing.

I'm not american and i'm still signing the petitions. Every litle bit of help counts!

And don't forget "Protect IP"! A sister law to SOPA, desigen to go on if SOPA fails. Go see "WTF is SOPA" by Total Biscuit on youtube, he's got all the info explained in 20 minutes.

Nukem

Feb 17, 2011
Kim jong il, god bless his soul could not have done it any better himself! If he was still among us he would be really proud! Go USA the role model of democ...oppression! <3

Blow_Pop

Supreme Evil Overlord
Jan 21, 2009
thenumberthirteen said:
I'm not American so I can't contact my congressman or whatever to protest this. To be honest I always feel uncomfortable getting involved with other countries' politics. It's none of my business.
I really wish our country on the whole was like that. If it doesn't affect us we need to keep our damn noses out of it

While I'd like there to be a farytale ending where at the last minute the bill is thrown out and good prevails, but I have a sinking feeling this bill will pass in one form or another.
wait a second....I told you that it would probably pass and you told me it wouldnt...i can pull up that skype convo....

Also can I say I think this bill has some good ideas? Specifically the restrictions on counterfeit medications. That is something that needs to be far more tightly controlled. However, unlike Youtube clips of Kanye West, those things actually can kill people since they aren't regulated and tested like legitimate drugs.
I have to agree. There are some good ideas but unfortunately since congress and the bill(if I recall correctly)are funded by corporations and they are the ones who really want the bill passed......Restrictions on counterfeit medications would be a good thing....or weapons.....or anything else that can hurt people. But I think the SOPA bill and the Protect IP bill BOTH need to be re-worded and looked very closely at before being voted on. I know it won't happen but it still should.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
thenumberthirteen said:

I'm not sure you truly understand the impact this bill will have on everyone, and I don't mean those just in the US. This website you are posting this response onto is a likely candidate to get shut down if SOPA passes. It won't matter if The Escapist doesn't provide any copyrighted content illegally. Under SOPA, any website that promotes piracy or provides a forum for piracy can be DNS blocked under any say by those holding the copyright. Consider how many Youtube videos have been shared on here. That MegaUpload video that Universal tried to show, a copy of it was shown on here. Under SOPA, if Universal learned of that video being shown on here, they would have screamed bloody murder and demanded the website be shut down.
It doesn't matter whether it actually infringes on copyright or not. The record labels and movie industry have already shown they don't give a damn about exceptions under fair use. They have already attacked parodies and homages made of their content.
But I will stop here, and leave it to a smarter man than me to explain. One who doesn't live in the US and doesn't depend on Americans viewing his content to make a living. Yet he knows the impact this retarded law will have.
(As for that counterfeit drug clause, that can always be amended to another bill that comes along. It doesn't have anything to do with SOPA and won't be hurt by the entire bill being voted down.)

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Once again, love the debates. It's not going to pass. Too many senators out there that are smart enough to block it. Also, pointing out positive aspects of the bill doesn't help the cause. There is no benefit in restricting anything on the internet. Just because you don't like something on the web doesn't mean you should be able to block other people from using the resources.

Duruznik

Aug 16, 2009
Irridium said:
Non-US people can also use this:

http://americancensorship.org/modal/state-dept-petition/index.html

You know, so you can actually try and do something instead of hoping the US government doesn't do something stupid.
Thank you! As a non-us citizen, I've been feeling horribly helpless about this. At least I can do something, even if it is incredibly minor.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
aprilmarie said:
wait a second....I told you that it would probably pass and you told me it wouldnt...i can pull up that skype convo....
True. Since then, however, things have changed, and the bill has far more support than I thought it did.

samsonguy920 said:
I'm not sure you truly understand the impact this bill will have on everyone, and I don't mean those just in the US.
I understand. I have read the bill, and listened to different interpretations. It gives the government, ISPs, and money transfer services like Paypal a free pass to remove websites on suspicion of providing copyrighted goods (both physical and digital) without a burden of proof or risk from lawsuits if they were wrong.

As a UK citizen I have no right to interfere in the creation of this bill. I can say it's not a good idea, but it is up to US citizens to stop this bill. Not me.

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
This bipartisan disaster-in-progress is being opposed by pretty much everyone with a website, republican or democrat, which is a nice touch. It truly is an Old Versus New battle this time...

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Some of those "OWS" people should "occupy SOPA" or something

omicron1 said:
This bipartisan disaster-in-progress is being opposed by pretty much everyone with a website, republican or democrat, which is a nice touch. It truly is an Old Versus New battle this time...
"The word 'bipartisan' means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out"
-George Carlin RIP

SachielOne

Former Escapecraft Op
Aug 10, 2009
thenumberthirteen said:
As a UK citizen I have no right to interfere in the creation of this bill.
I disagree. When a bill is likely to screw over your country (and every other country on the planet), you damn well have a say in the matter.