PS Vita to Launch Worldwide with 25 (or More) Games

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
PS Vita to Launch Worldwide with 25 (or More) Games

The price of memory cards doesn't seem to break the bank, either.

Sony's newest handheld has launched in its complaints from the peanut gallery [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/114854-PS-Vita-Is-Big-in-Japan]. Us poor old Westerners, or you know, anyone that doesn't live within the 150k square miles of the island nation, knew we must wait until February 22, 2012 to buy a PS Vita of our own, but other than that we knew nothing about the launch outside Japan. Thanks to a handy post on the official PlayStation Blog today, we now know which games are going to be launching with the PS Vita, as well as what accessories will be available and - perhaps more importantly - how much they will cost.

Sony says the launch lineup of games is "the biggest and best lineup we've ever launched across the history of PlayStation platforms." 25 games are confirmed to be ready for purchase on day one, as well as 10 "launch window" titles. I'm not exactly sure what a launch window is, but it sounds like a technical term for an opening in your house through which you throw games. Sounds silly, but oh well.

Taking a cue from Nintendo [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/106777-Nintendo-World-Unveils-3DS-Launch-Lineup-Battery-Life], Sony will also provide some AR Cards and a voucher to play some Alternate Reality games with the camera capability of the PS Vita. Also, people may have been worried about how much the memory cards would cost for the PS Vita, but $19.99 for a 4gig card ain't too shabby.

Here is a list of all the games Sony announced for launch day, broken down by first part Sony titles and those from third parties:

Sony Launch Day Titles

Escape Plan (PSN Only)
Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational
Hustle Kings (PSN Only)
Little Deviants
ModNation Racers: Road Trip
Super StarDust Delta (PSN only)
UNCHARTED: Golden Abyss
wipEout 2048

Sony Launch Window Titles

Gravity Rush
MLB 12 The Show
Reality Fighters
Unit 13

Third Party Publisher Launch Day Titles

Army Corps of Hell
Asphalt Injection
BEN10 GALACTIC RACING
Blazblue: Continuum Shift EXTEND
Dungeon Hunter Alliance
Dynasty Warriors Next
F1 2011
EA SPORTS FIFA Soccer
Lumines Electronic Symphony
Michael Jackson The Experience
Plants vs. Zombies (PSN Only)
Rayman Origins
Shinobido 2: Revenge of Zen
Tales of Space: Mutant Blobs (PSN Only)
Touch My Katamari
Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3
Virtua Tennis 4: World Tour Edition

Third Party Launch Window Titles

LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7
Disgaea 3: Absence of Detention
NINJA GAIDEN ∑ PLUS
Ridge Racer
Silent Hill Book of Memories
Supremacy MMA: Unrestricted

Source: PlayStation Blog [http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/12/22/playstation-vita-launch-lineup-and-details/]

Dec 14, 2009
"the biggest and best lineup we've ever launched across the history of PlayStation platforms."

I see 2 games in that list that I would I would even remotely consider buying.

And still no Monster Hunter.

Sad face.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
A couple decent ones, a few good ones, a bunch that are completely uninteresting, a bunch ports and RIIIIIIIDGE RACER! Overall, a pretty good line-up for a launch. I'm not really looking to get a PS Vita for a big bunch of reasons, but for those who do, well, at least you have options.

And in regards to Monster Hunter, I could have sworn Capcom announced one for the Vita. Or that could have been for the 3DS... I forget now.

Dec 14, 2009
OutrageousEmu said:
Daystar Clarion said:
"the biggest and best lineup we've ever launched across the history of PlayStation platforms."

Sad face.
Whats your problem with Blazblue?
Nothing.

I'm just not a fan of handheld fighters. I tend to be rather rough with the controls when it comes to fighters, and I wouldn't want to trash my Vita within days of getting it.

drkchmst

Mar 28, 2010
Looking at those launch titles...I'm not interested. And $19.99 for a 4gig memory card? That is about 4 times too expensive in my opinion.

Dec 14, 2009
OutrageousEmu said:
Daystar Clarion said:
OutrageousEmu said:
Daystar Clarion said:

Sad face.
Whats your problem with Blazblue?
Nothing.

I'm just not a fan of handheld fighters. I tend to be rather rough with the controls when it comes to fighters, and I wouldn't want to trash my Vita within days of getting it.
Then use the touch fighting if you don't like the regular controls.
Touch controls aren't as precise as I'd like them to be.

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
There's about 4 games there I may consider buying. Gravity Rush mostly since it looks interesting.
Hope the launch window isn't too big.

SH4DOWSL4Y3R

Jan 21, 2011
looking at that list, i'd say that there's about 5-7 games there that i am interested in at varying levels. that's a lot more titles than the 3DS has interested me with so far.

i'm just hoping gravity rush actually will be released in australia. i haven't quite yet seen any sign of it in the preorder pages on a lot of the sites here.

Edit: on the subject of gravity rush, does anyone else think Gravity Daze (the japanese name for it) is kind of a cooler name?

SH4DOWSL4Y3R

Jan 21, 2011
OutrageousEmu said:
SH4DOWSL4Y3R said:
looking at that list, i'd say that there's about 5-7 games there that i am interested in at varying levels. that's a lot more titles than the 3DS has interested me with so far.

i'm just hoping gravity rush actually will be released in australia. i haven't quite yet seen any sign of it in the preorder pages on a lot of the sites here.

Edit: on the subject of gravity rush, does anyone else think Gravity Daze (the japanese name for it) is kind of a cooler name?
Eh, Its kind of a nonsenseical name. It also is kind of negative, implies some kind of gravity sickness. RUsh just sets to my mind exhileration, freedom, the sorts of things this game is trying to get across.

As for if it'll come out, to my knowledge, no game Sony has ever made has failed to come out in Australia.
Hmm, maybe it's just that the word daze kind of looks cooler on the cover art. after thinking about it and saying both of the names to myself a few times, gravity rush does tend to roll of the tongue a little easier. oh well, i couldn't care less, i just look forward to playing it. the title doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things.

ReinWeisserRitter

Nov 15, 2011
OutrageousEmu said:
drkchmst said:
Looking at those launch titles...I'm not interested. And $19.99 for a 4gig memory card? That is about 4 times too expensive in my opinion.
So judging by that, you only play, lets see.....Japanese visual \novels. Cause thats the only genre you could like to the exclusion of others that would mean you wouldn't be interested.
Because not being interested in particular game from a particular genre means you don't care for that genre, and all games in all genres are good and worth playing.

drkchmst

Mar 28, 2010
ReinWeisserRitter said:
OutrageousEmu said:
drkchmst said:
So judging by that, you only play, lets see.....Japanese visual \novels. Cause thats the only genre you could like to the exclusion of others that would mean you wouldn't be interested.
Because not being interested in particular game from a particular genre means you don't care for that genre, and all games in all genres are good and worth playing.
Well put. There is just nothing on that list I would drop that much dough to be able to play...yet

ReinWeisserRitter

Nov 15, 2011
OutrageousEmu said:
ReinWeisserRitter said:
OutrageousEmu said:
drkchmst said:
Because of course you have actually looked at each game in this lineup for more than two seconds and would actually know if they were good games in their genres.
That's your opinion.

And here's the crazy part: Everyone has their own. If they don't care for a given game, it's not your business to say they're wrong anymore it's theirs to criticize you on any stance you have on any given game.

If you think they're good, fantastic; go buy them. If they're not someone else's cup of tea, well... get over it. Don't go making cheeky comments like "OH DEAR, I SUPPOSE YOU DON'T PLAY VIDEO GAMES THEN".

deserteagleeye

Sep 8, 2010
No Persona 4: Golden edition. Shame, but at least there are some games I've never heard of for me to google.