US Army Debuts Its New CryEngine 3-Powered Training Sim

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
US Army Debuts Its New CryEngine 3-Powered Training Sim

$57 million can sure buy some shiny pixels.

Molding Kansas farmboys into superhuman killing machines is a difficult task, and no one knows this better than the US Army. Thus, the top brass are constantly looking for new and better ways to simulate the stress and chaos of the battlefield without actually having to shoot at their latest batch of recruits.

Enter German developer Crytek. Or more specifically, enter Crytek's CryEngine 3, the technology behind Crysis 2.

The Army, in what I'm hoping is not an underhanded attempt to prove that first-person shooters turn gamers into killers, spent $57 million developing a cutting edge training program based on the technology dubbed the "Dismounted Soldier Training System" -- which is fancy talk for "game that teaches recruits how to best survive as infantry when jerks with machine guns are trying to kill you."

The results, as you can see from the trailer above, or the other trailer below, look pretty impressive.

Granted, the two clips are essentially just tech demos for the simulator, and the odds that any of us will ever get a chance to play this thing without signing on for a tour of duty are essentially zero, but it at least offers a glimpse of how our tax dollars are being used in the war against America's foes.

When I originally started writing this piece I was going to make a big hoopla about that $57 million price point, but after thinking about it a bit, that amount of money is actually not all that impressive. Grand Theft Auto IV cost nearly twice that much, and given how well that game prepared our nation's youth for a life of jacking cars and beating hookers to death, I think the Army might be low-balling this whole effort.

And besides, does this simulation really prepare our troops for the wars of the future? If we wanted to ensure the safety of America in the new millennium, we should have handed that cash to John Carmack. I just fear that we're going to be woefully unprepared when the Cyberdemons start firing rockets into our churches and synagogues.

Source: PC Gamer [http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/12/21/us-army-dismounted-soldier-training-system-is-the-greatest-game-youll-never-play/]

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
Can we just fight wars in this? It'd save SO many lives.

(if you get the LRR reference, you've earned yourself a cookie!)

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
Earnest Cavalli said:
Grand Theft Auto IV cost nearly twice that much, and given how well that game prepared our nation's youth for a life of jacking cars and beating hookers to death, I think the Army might be low-balling this whole effort.
:D

Love it. Thank you very much.

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
But, don't they already have America's Army 3?

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
NLS said:
Yeah, but that's a civilian game. This is a strictly mil-spec simulator. You won't see this thing on the shelves of your local GameStop, like, ever.

FFHAuthor

Aug 1, 2010
There are a few Military trainers that have made the jump to civilian markets. America's Army isn't the only one, Full Spectrum Warrior was one, and Harpoon/Convoy-84 dates back to the 80's. The Best military games do make the leap to the Civilian Market. Though most gamers ***** that they're too accurate.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
It's just glorified tech demos. What we are seeing is government use a game engine to prepare troops. Should anyone care at all that you won't be able to play with this unless joining the military? Probably not. The game engine will just get used to make more games, some of which will be every bit as realistic as this tech demo.

I think it's a little ridiculous that people are making a big deal out of this. I also think they despite it being cheap in comparison to other military projects, any game studio could have taken that same engine and done that for half the price.

HerbertTheHamster

Apr 6, 2009
Is that sanskrit on the buildings?

It's good to see the U.S. is spending more tax money preparing to invade third-world countries.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Gameplay wise it didnt look very convincing (since it tries to be realistic), the recoil and movement looked very COD-ish (basicly the standard FPS gameplay now), I would prefer if it was something closer to this, but since I never used a gun I dont know (with the exception of a firing range but that doesnt involve movement so I still dont know how it feels to be in a combat situation):

laserwulf

Dec 30, 2007
Earnest Cavalli said:
"Molding Kansas farmboys into superhuman killing machines is a difficult task, and no one knows this better than the US Army.
I'm not sure whether to feel outraged about the killing machine part or flattered for being called superhuman. But then, I'm not from Kansas.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
It's interesting to see how far graphics have come and yet we STILL can't get faces right :/

laserwulf

Dec 30, 2007
Blablahb said:
If it's a game to safeguard America, why is it a wargame? With the ongoing financial apocalypse of the US you'd expected a Simcity-like game in which you can try to hold things together as your city/country slows disintegrates into a third world country and your balance is shown in purely red numbers. ;-)
You joke, but there's something like this for officers, focusing on interacting with civilian villagers; I've been trying to find it in the shadier parts of the internet. There's also a third-person Arabic language training game with voice-recognition done in the Unreal engine.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Wouldn't they learn basic combat strategy easier if you just have them watch G.I.Joe Rise of Cobra a trillion times?
You can't learn from a game how it works in real life.
Get some K-8 vests and get out there in the forest, that's how we Finns learn to battle our wars

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
Earnest Cavalli said:
NLS said:
Yeah, but that's a civilian game. This is a strictly mil-spec simulator. You won't see this thing on the shelves of your local GameStop, like, ever.
I wouldn't be so sure that we'll never see it. With substantial budget cuts flying through the defense department. This game could end up in the same situation as VBS (Original Operation Flashpoint). Grant gets canned, company turns around and goes public. So there is always a chance.