New Deus Ex 3 Screens Posted

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
New Deus Ex 3 Screens Posted

Early screenshots of the upcoming Deus Ex 3 [http://www.deusex3.com] have been posted online, along with a look at the background of the game and how it will fit in with the rest of the franchise.

The new game is actually a prequel, set 25 years before the events detailed in the original Edge Online [http://www.planetdeusex.com/]. "We wanted to explore the era when mechanically augmented people first started to emerge."

The fact that the events following Deus Ex 3 have already been chronicled isn't going to stop the new game from continuing the series' tradition of having multiple endings depending on the player's choices, Dugas said, claiming that in-game events will "fit" with the rest of the series. "Invisible War started with a fusion of the previous game's multiple endings. I think for us it will be a bit similar," he said. "We'll have different endings - but they will all make sense to players of Deus Ex."

He was noncommittal on just how the importance of player choices will work out over the course of the game, however. "Going with a branching storyline would be very complicated and expensive and the game would ship ten years from now," he said. "However, something that we wanted to fix from Invisible War was the way your final choices weren't affected by any of the previous decisions in the game. We have some ideas that we're still exploring - but we're looking at integrating earlier choices to impact the way things play out."

It sounds promising, but many fans, myself included, are still sweating over Dugas' opinion that the original game was "kind of slow" and lacked "exciting, memorable moments." Deus Ex 3 is currently in development at Eidos Montreal for the PC, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, and is slated for release in 2010.

Odjin

Nov 14, 2007
"Screenshots had to be removed to to an embargo"... WTF? Come on Eidos... what's this shit all about? Afraid people could find out your conspiring to crank up the third installment as well? ;)

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
"It sounds promising, but many fans, myself included, are still sweating over Dugas' opinion that the original game was "kind of slow" and lacked "exciting, memorable moments." Deus Ex 3 is currently in development at Eidos Montreal for the PC, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, and is slated for release in 2010."

Yeah... Can't this guy make Shoota Killah 52 and leave it up to someone else to make entries in the Deus Ex series? Lacked memorable moments? Geez...

By the sounds of it they're planning to make something with quality similar to *shudder* Jedi Academy.

Chickenlittle

Sep 4, 2008
Dectilon said:
"It sounds promising, but many fans, myself included, are still sweating over Dugas' opinion that the original game was "kind of slow" and lacked "exciting, memorable moments." Deus Ex 3 is currently in development at Eidos Montreal for the PC, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, and is slated for release in 2010."

Yeah... Can't this guy make Shoota Killah 52 and leave it up to someone else to make entries in the Deus Ex series? Lacked memorable moments? Geez...

By the sounds of it they're planning to make something with quality similar to *shudder* Jedi Academy.
Pray it doesn't come to that....

Well, this is another game I'll have to watch out for!

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
He was noncommittal on just how the importance of player choices will work out over the course of the game, however. "Going with a branching storyline would be very complicated and expensive and the game would ship ten years from now," he said. "However, something that we wanted to fix from Invisible War was the way your final choices weren't affected by any of the previous decisions in the game. We have some ideas that we're still exploring - but we're looking at integrating earlier choices to impact the way things play out."
To me, this means it's going to be like the first Deus Ex- your choices will have a few short term or long term consequences, enough to give the illusion of freedom. Enough to titilate. But at the end of the game there will be a single ubur choice that changes the whole game ending.

And this is best case scenario.

Elurindel

Dec 12, 2007
As somebody who loved Deus Ex, was jaded by Invisible War, and who disapproves of the attitude this guy has on the original, I am pessismistic at best. Prequels usually aren't too great. Prequels where people get stuff that is completely impossible or which never existed in the canon that follows after it are made of fail.
I will wait and watch, but I won't be too surprised if this thing sucks.

Dommyboy

Jul 20, 2008
Choice is the biggest illusion in a game, lets hope they can actually make a revolution in this one.

Killerbunny001

Oct 23, 2008
This article along with the 2010 release date sounds like :

We just closed the deal and we can make this game,yupy! But so far we got shit to go on. We managed to read some forums and found out what sucked, but that`s about it.

Vlane

Sep 14, 2008
Danzorz said:
Singing Gremlin said:
Two Phrases.

Regenerating Health.

3rd Person Cover System.

It's going to suck, ladies and gentlemen.
So Rainbow Six Vegas 1&2 sucked?

On topic

2010? GODANMIT! I hope they develop some sort of ultra device that makes it get pushed back to 2009....two years...too long...
2 kinda sucked and 1 was great IMO.

I don't have high expectations for it so I'm not disappointed when it is going to suck.

Singing Gremlin

Jan 16, 2008
Danzorz said:
Singing Gremlin said:
Two Phrases.

Regenerating Health.

3rd Person Cover System.

It's going to suck, ladies and gentlemen.
So Rainbow Six Vegas 1&2 sucked?

On topic

2010? GODANMIT! I hope they develop some sort of ultra device that makes it get pushed back to 2009....two years...too long...
No, but that is in a different context. To be honest, the cover I don't mind, I'm just going to miss the limb damage.

Andy Chalk

Nov 12, 2002
How the cover system will be used is unclear at this point. If it's actually part of the stealth mechanic, I have no problem with it - but if it's more about "duck and cover" during combat, ie., shit to hide behind while guys are shooting at you, then my level of concern rises considerably. I'm not thrilled about any kind of auto-heal, nor do I care for the designer's comments about the original being "slow," but it's still awfully early in the process. I remain hopeful.

fluffylandmine

Jul 23, 2008
Ladies and gentlemen(and whatever else you may be), this is a great example of putting the square shaped block into the circle shaped hole.

Andy Chalk

Nov 12, 2002
While I'm all for exercising prudence and caution in the face of uncertain sequels, you guys sound like you've made up your minds awfully early into the game.