Marketing Guru: Online Games Are Killing Consoles

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Marketing Guru: Online Games Are Killing Consoles

The advent of online casual gaming has led at least one marketing expert to predict the ultimate demise of the game console at the hands of the internet.

Kevin Carney, who has previously worked for gaming companies including Wii's [http://www.pogo.com/home/home.do] delivery of a family gaming experience," and claims that "Arguably, the consoles have taken a giant leap backwards."

"The essence of gaming is the game experience it delivers. Unfortunately, in the race to overtake the film and music industries, the console sector has neglected this principle. Instead, it's pushing enhanced graphics and physics into the same play spaces. And this isn't good," he wrote. "Sometimes there's brilliance in simplicity. Sometimes realism, Hollywood voiceovers, actor likenesses, and cut scenes add nothing. Worse, they can diminish a game experience. As this is happening, many are struggling to comprehend how the glitz and glam of Hollywood aren't adding value to our game experience."

Perhaps most interesting, and contrary to conventional wisdom, Carney also claims that consumers are moving away from their well-appointed living rooms when it's time for their gaming fix. "They've left the comfort of the living room, big-screen TV, and game console. They've tuned out of passive entertainment and tapped into interactive entertainment online," he continued. "They've changed and consoles haven't changed enough. Consumers are online, socializing and having digital experiences that meet their needs, connect them with others, and don't cost a thing. They're sitting at the computer, entering virtual worlds and social networks as the TV collects dust."

The reason? Online gaming, which he attributes largely to the evolution of Flash [http://www.adobe.com/products/flash/], is now delivering "incredibly robust, rich experiences," as well as massive communities that consoles simply don't offer. Carney also believes that quick gaming sessions during free minutes on the PC, instead of long, dedicated sessions in the living room, will eventually become the dominant form of digital entertainment. "Time is short and so are online games," he wrote. "A player can quickly and easily go from an Excel spreadsheet to any game experience imaginable online."

He has some valid points, and his comments echo those of PlayStation 3 [http://www.wildtangent.com/] would be the last successful generation of game consoles. On the other hand, as the definition of "gamer" grows ever more inclusive, it's also foreseeable that casual PC gaming on the internet could grow to dominate the industry while hardcore console gaming remains a viable industry as well. Videogaming is still very much in its infancy, and the assumption that the growth of core and casual demographics has to be a zero-sum competition is a false one.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
I don't buy Carney's argument for three reasons:

a) because consoles aren't isolated, living-room dwelling passive experiences and can be every much as online as a Flash-enabled game

b) because not everyone games in 10-15 minute brief periods

c) because you can play brief "arcade" games on a console if you wish

It's possible this will be the last generation of consoles, but in my opinion not likely and I strongly doubt that the death of consoles would arise from Carneys' reasons.

-- Steve

ckeymel

Jun 24, 2008
I'm thinking this is just hype: he previously worked for pogo.com - and all of Anton's points are right on.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
I don't think the rise in casual online gaming on the PC will kill consoles. There's plenty of room for peaceful coexistence here. I do think, however, that he's onto something with regards to the PC as a viable gaming platform: It's not going anywhere, and the "Doomsday theories" about the death of PC gaming are grossly overblown.

The only sticky part is where that leaves people like me: Hardcore PC gamers who have no interest in going console. Is his prediction that the PC has a bright future as a gaming platform really of value to hardcore PC gamers if that future is built predominantly around quick-fire online Flash games that are really just an excuse to chitchat with other middle-aged housewives?

bkd69

Nov 23, 2007
Yeah, I don't see any segment of the current console buying market abandoning consoles to play online flash games. If the current market is big enough to support the three consoles, then I don't think consoles are going anywhere.

In fact, I expect things to move in the other direction. The current gen of consoles are already making plays as media set-top boxen, and have internet connectivity. While the manufacturers are making bank on SDKs and publication licensing, flash games, or ports of flash games are eminently possible on the consoles and in the living room.

Flash and casual games will be the most promiscuous (crossplatform) of games, followed by RPG and FPS games, where the PC controls still have an edge on console controls, but until console interfaces start stepping up, strategy games will sill be pretty much PC exclusives.

Frederf

Nov 5, 2007
I find it terribly ironic that console games are feeling threatened by short attention span based, simplistic, dumbed-down brain candy games that make piles of money when that's exactly what the console game market did with with the PC gaming market.

Of course PopCap will go over when everyone starts playing cell phone games. Don't feel to mad at cell phone games though, soon after they will fall victim to the latest craze, staring at pretty, pretty Christmas lights.

OOoooo, shiny. Here's $20.