Would-Be Skylanders Hacker Handed Cease and Desist

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
Would-Be Skylanders Hacker Handed Cease and Desist

A programmer has been stopped from even posting about his research prior to actually performing it.

Brandon Wilson is a graphing calculator programmer with a small, but loyal, fan base. For years, he's worked on a variety of interesting projects involving calculators and computers, posting his results to the community for free on his stylishly trim website. [http://brandonw.net/] Recently, Brandon branched out and decided to work on something a little different: Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure. After discovering the security protocol the game's pieces used to interact with the player's computer, it wasn't long before he came home to a hand-delivered cease and desist letter straight from Activision's lawyers.

If you aren't familiar with Skylanders, the game is spin-off of the Spyro series, in which players buy physical character packs which connect with a specialized USB peripheral to connect the creature to the game world. Activision has, of course, taken multiple precautions to protect this data transfer (as a breach would mean players no longer need to buy figurines). While Wilson's research into this data was still incomplete, the company was quick to act before a final solution was reached.

More of a good-natured tinkerer than malicious pirate determined to take down Activision, Wilson was happy to comply. The following is his original post on the matter:

Why am I talking about [Skylanders?] Because I documented the protocol it uses, and the encryption method used to store data on the toys.

I plan to work on emulating the portal using an 84+/SE or 89Ti for all the major consoles. And for the Xbox 360, it's especially interesting because I'll have to work around the Infineon security chip that protects the Xbox 360 from third-party USB peripherals.

I could go into further detail, but then I'd sound more and more crazy, so perhaps I'll wait until I get basic portal emulation working. Stay tuned!

UPDATE: And here come the Activision lawyers! Suffice it to say, I've been shut down, so uh...nevermind. :)

The only strange thing about this case, is that (as Wilson himself points out [http://brandonw.net/skylanders/response.txt]) none of the research posted on his site was actually in any violation of Activision's stated policies, noting that its examples pointed to leaks that weren't even his. Wilson went on to further explain that the only thing he had was a .zip file of a data dump from one figurine which was neither posted online nor even announced.

I understand why companies like Activision need to take quick and decisive action against people who could single-handedly destroy a product line, but perhaps they should wait until violations actually occur as to avoid some awkward Minority Report-type scary legal tactics. Granted, once Wilson complied there was no further action, but should tinkerers not even be allowed to post about their private tinkering without incurring the threatened wrath of a multimillion dollar legal team?

Source: Geek.com [http://www.geek.com/articles/games/activision-delivers-cease-and-desist-to-skylanders-tinkerer-20111228/]

Roserari

Jul 11, 2011
Inb4SOPA

Although this is a prime example of how it would look like if that thing is passed.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
RoseArch said:
Inb4SOPA

Although this is a prime example of how it would look like if that thing is passed.
Not really.

Actually, skip the "really" and go for "even close."

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
Mike Kayatta said:
I understand why companies like Activision need to take quick and decisive action against people who could single-handedly destroy a product line, but perhaps they should wait until violations actually occur as to avoid some awkward Minority Report-type scary legal tactics. Granted, once Wilson complied there was no further action, but should tinkerers not even be allowed to post about their private tinkering without incurring the threatened wrath of a multimillion dollar legal team?
1. A it just a warning letter. 2. He admitted he was working on a emulator which would bypass security, which is not tinkering. 3. Wait until a violation occurs?? Then it is to late, It would destroy that product line and any chance for future gaming products like this. Spyro, may not be the best example, but some games could really benefit from this technology.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
I recognize this guy! He made PuzzPack for the TI-83+! I've had hours of fun with that collection, particularly Block Dude!

P.S. Thanks

Electric Alpaca

What's on the menu?
May 2, 2011
Activision have acted well within their rights before the 'I hate gaming corporations' bus stops at this station.

Wilson's intentions are pretty clear, circumventing the primary focus of the software - figurine purchasing.

If Activision waited until this was actually possible and posted, it would be too late - no one can stop information from spreading once it hits the internet in some way. Look at Mass Effect 3's story leak for example.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Something tells me this game coming from Activision is the new "Guitar hero".

Only instead of buying instruments separately your buying tons of figures separately.

MrJoyless

May 26, 2010
Mike Kayatta said:
Granted, once Wilson complied there was no further action, but should tinkerers not even be allowed to post about their private tinkering without incurring the threatened wrath of a multimillion dollar legal team?
The second he posts his private tinkering online it stops being private and begins to become potentially harmful, while I do not condone the heavy handed tactics I can at least understand why quick action was required in this case.

Smeggs

Oct 21, 2008
Activision made the smart and perfectly acceptable decision.

The threat was already present, it was GOING TO HAPPEN, as the man stated he planned on posting his findings after he'd done more tinkering. If Activision had waited to do something until he'd actually posted his findings they would have been screwed. Once something is on the net it's there forever, you'll never be rid of it, especially not something like this.

Just look at that Christoforo guy and Penny Arcade. Those emails and all of that backlash will follow him for the rest of his life, and not even his "contacts" will be able to help that.

If there's anything the internet likes, it's having people to insult, and getting free shit at the expense of others.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
Okay, this is kinda justified...but skylanders is evil. It doesn't make piracy okay...but it has to be said. The game itself doesn't look all that bad, but to say this whole figurine thing is anything else but a cynical attempt to create some sort of kiddie-drug that they'll beg their parents for would simply be a lie.

Seriously, every time I see the game or any of it's figures, I feel like activision is trying to steal my inner child's soul.

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
RoseArch said:
Inb4SOPA

...Not in any way shape or form does any of this resemble anything SOPA related

OT: I'm not really sure why this is news, the guy wanted to breach the security of a game, and got stopped, sure it wasn't technically breaking any written rule, but it's pretty close, I don't see how this is news worthy

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
Doclector said:
Okay, this is kinda justified...but skylanders is evil. It doesn't make piracy okay...but it has to be said. The game itself doesn't look all that bad, but to say this whole figurine thing is anything else but a cynical attempt to create some sort of kiddie-drug that they'll beg their parents for would simply be a lie.

Seriously, every time I see the game or any of it's figures, I feel like activision is trying to steal my inner child's soul.
With how they're molesting the once good name of Spyro, I think they already have.

OT: While Activision had a right to tell him not to post the info, I don't see why he couldn't have just tried out the experiment on his own. Even if he just posted a vague message saying what he set out to do was successful I think he should be allowed to tinker.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Though it took me a while to realize on my own, Skylanders is akin to a digital version of Warhammer 40k figures.

Which one is the bigger ripoff is debatable; on one hand, Activision is stretching the "DLC argument" by further jacking with the cost-content ratios.

On the other hand, Warhammer 40k is asking for upwards of 50 bucks just for tiny resin figures (retail; ignoring collection dumps online).

Small wonder Activision wants to nip that problem in the bud early, though it's only a matter of time before someone cracks it, and wrecks their little scam.

Furioso said:
...Not in any way shape or form does any of this resemble anything SOPA related
Well, it does resemble the "Censored under suspicion, not conviction." part of SOPA, but that's about it.

Lord_Puppy

Jan 2, 2012
Heavy handed? It was just a ceased and desist letter. It's not much more than a letter expressing their dislike of his actions and telling him they would do more if he tries to go public later on. I am an IP owner and I've had to write a few C&D letters over my time.
Heavy handed would be trying to shut him down right off the bat.

But on a side note:

Doclector said:
Why is there all this hate for Skylanders? Have you played the game?

Its a fun game! My wife and her family were over for Christmas and we all had a great time playing it. I love that it is designed to encourage group play through the battle mode. Its not a perfect game, I'll admit, the in game power up system can be broken pretty easily, (specifically if you have the Pirate Seas Adventure Pack). But the action figure interface is a cool mechanic; Its the games I wanted when I was a kid!
I seriously think people have blown the idea of how the figures work out of proportion. Its not like you HAVE to have all the figures to play the game. Hell, when I first bought it I beat the whole game with just the three figures that came with the game.
In truth, I am now trying to get as many of the figures as I can, but that because they are all really unique and well designed, none of them feel like a same character given a new paint job or someone added JUST to make another one.
Besides a) With the multipacks its not that costly to collect them and b)if a kid nags their parents to buy them, well, be an f-king parent and tell them no.
I grew up poor and could only get a few of the G.I. Joes I wanted, but I learned to deal with it.
The price didn't bother me too much either, when you're already paying $50-60 for the average game, for only about $10-15 move you're getting a really fun piece of hardware and 3 figures.
Plus, and this might be the troll statement of my post, when the heck was Spyro so popular before? I remember it coming out and them no one I knew then or now remembers playing it.
I think I played it once and found it an o.k. platformer, but nothing special.
I think that is just people looking back with nostaglia tinted glasses.

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Lolita Style, The Best Style!
Jan 12, 2010
Was Activision well within their rights? Absolutely...

But this is the prime example of what exactly is wrong with the large publishing houses, and the entire gaming industry as a whole. This is the worst kind of gaming ripoff, forget paying monthly for a MMO you spent 60 plus dollars on this is insanity. Is Skylanders a good game? Sure, but it doesn't matter if they're digging in your pockets even so far past the game just to give you access to game's characters. This is just as bad as places releasing essentially incomplete games, and then announcing dozens of weeks of mostly paid DLC (Saints Row The Third, any one?) This is total blatant rip off and it's a large part of what's driving piracy.

This guy was in the wrong for announcing what he was doing yes, because this sort of thing could be used as a piracy tool. But most of piracy is made up of people who wouldn't buy the game, or can't afford it anyways. Is that a lost sale? Not really if the person in question wouldn't pay for it, or could afford it in the first place. Does that excuse piracy? No. But there are also those who illegally download titles, and then buy them because they liked the title and want to support the developers. How about those who want access to features that they couldn't use because they illegally downloaded a title, those are people who go and buy the game too. Even people who can't afford it, or just won't pay for it could recommend a game to a non pirate fan, and gain sales that might not have happened. Add on to all those factors things like online passes that screw over used games, and you see the driving force behind piracy is the companies being money grubbing, short sighted, greedy jerks.

So how could game companies make a profit off used games then? Charge the second hand stores a freaking royalty for the used games. There they'd make a profit off the used games, even if the royalty was low. But the DRM, Action Figure ripoffs, the DLC ripoffs, and the blatent bias against gamers who might be only able to afford used titles. These companies are hurting them selves. Does that make piracy at all justifiable, or right? Not at all! Piracy is still theft, maybe not a physical one, and maybe one that doesn't really qualify as a true potential sale. But if the game companies want to stop the piracy they need to lay off the greed, and stop cracking down on every little tinkering garage coder. Even then it's not something that's going away.

In short: These methods are a ripoff, they make pirates feel justified, and drive piracy. The companies need to loosen up and charge less, then they'll make more money. Instead of trying to suck up and pinch every penny. So Piracy = Bad, but Game Company Greed = bad too.

almostgold

Dec 1, 2009
Mike Kayatta said:
perhaps they should wait until violations actually occur
Guessing you're not in charge of The Escapist's financial planning huh?

I'll give a hint to the answer to your question: Because then the violation will have already occured. Whats crazy about this situation?