Midway Doubles Third Quarter Losses

Jared Rea

Aug 11, 2008
Midway Doubles Third Quarter Losses

Publisher reports $75.9 million down the hole, hedges bets on upcoming Mortal Kombat title.

At this point, referring to games publisher Midway as some sort of large ship or vessel doesn't make for an apt metaphor. Instead, its more like a fish tank cracking one too many leaks with not enough fingers plug them all up. Midway lost [http://www.midway.com/images/IR/11_10_2008/MWY_Q3_08_FINAL.pdf] $34 million, it predicted losses to merely double.

On the bright side, Midway did manage to meet its earnings expectations, having earned $51.4 for the quarter, falling in line with its prior guidance of approximately $52 million. These earnings aren't anything to scoff at either, as a year ago in the same quarter, Midway only managed to squeeze out $36.7 million in profits.

Midway attributes the gains to three of its titles released during the session, namely TNA Impact (Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, Wii), Unreal Tournament III (Xbox 360) and Mortal Kombat: Kollection (PS2). Looking to the future, company CEO Matt Booty places the weight of responsibility on their upcoming cross-over fighter, Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe to pick up the slack, expecting the release to allow Midway to "enter 2009 with a renewed focus on Midway's key strengths."

Mr.Bubbles43

Jul 23, 2008
Well unless MK vs DC costs about 40 million per copy the 2 people who are going to buy it are not going to help midway much.

I miss spy hunter.

BleachedBlind

May 19, 2008
"Here lies Midway. They placed all their chips on a Mortal Kombat game rated Teen. May they rest in peace."

Ralackk

Aug 12, 2008
Jared Rea said:
Midway lost [http://www.midway.com/images/IR/11_10_2008/MWY_Q3_08_FINAL.pdf] $34 million, it predicted losses to merely double.

On the bright side, Midway did manage to meet their profit expectations, having earned $51.4 for the quarter, falling in line with its prior guidance of approximately $52 million. These earnings aren't anything to scoff at either, as a year ago in the same quarter, Midway only managed to squeeze out $36.7 million in profits.
Ok perhaps its because its late and I'm tired but that does not make any sense to me. How can you be making losses and profit at the same time?

Jared Rea

Aug 11, 2008
Ralackk said:
Ok perhaps its because its late and I'm tired but that does not make any sense to me. How can you be making losses and profit at the same time?
Actually, that's my bad. Accidentally slipped the word "profit" in place of "earnings." Typically, this would be fine ... but you know ;)

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
serves 'em right for the runaround they did with TNA iMPACT

"Oh it's going to be like No Mercy!" they said when they started making it. Fast-forward 2 years after numerous delays and feature exclusions and they're all "making a game engine is hard, durrrrrr"

xitel

Assume That I Hate You.
Aug 13, 2008
Is anyone REALLY looking forward to MK vs. DC? I think Midway may be trying to commit suicide. Why? I couldn't tell you even if I tried.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
xitel said:
Is anyone REALLY looking forward to MK vs. DC? I think Midway may be trying to commit suicide. Why? I couldn't tell you even if I tried.
I think they smacked themselves in the head with a lead pipe and now can't remember how to actually make games.

Elurindel

Dec 12, 2007
BleachedBlind said:
"Here lies Midway. They placed all their chips on a Mortal Kombat game rated Teen. May they rest in peace."
Yeah, seriously. What were they thinking? I'd buy a highly-rated MK game, ever since I wasn't allowed MK3 when I was 14.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
Looks like we need to start finding a plot at the local grave yard for Midway.

xitel

Assume That I Hate You.
Aug 13, 2008
AceDiamond said:
xitel said:
I think they smacked themselves in the head with a lead pipe and now can't remember how to actually make games.
Knowing Midway, they probably used something a bit more brutal than a lead pipe. Maybe a lead pipe with a spikes on it?

Eggplant said:
I honestly would prefer MK vs Marvel. At least then its not just guys in costumes.
The problem isn't the IP they're using, it's the fact that they're making a mortal kombat game rated Teen. Meaning no over-the-top gore, violence, and no fatalities.

Eggplant

Nov 11, 2008
xitel said:
The problem isn't the IP they're using, it's the fact that they're making a mortal kombat game rated Teen. Meaning no over-the-top gore, violence, and no fatalities.
Well as an australian if it wasnt rated teen it probably wouldnt get into our shitty country. Though the lack of fatalities will suck. I would imagine the storyline will suck too.

WTB intelligence for Midway