Mark Wahlberg Admits His Apes Film Sucked

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Mark Wahlberg Admits His Apes Film Sucked

[mtv=722358]​

If you weren't a fan of 2001's Planet of the Apes, you're not alone. Mark Wahlberg just admitted (on camera!) that he doesn't think it was good, either.

Even though 2001's Planet of the Apes film was by <a href=http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=planetoftheapes01.htm>no means a box office failure, Fox Studios never got around to making a sequel. Rumor has it that this was in large part due to both the <a href=http://www.metacritic.com/movie/planet-of-the-apes>underwhelming critical reception and the film's nonsensical ending. It turns out that Mark Wahlberg wasn't too surprised about this: According to the actor, director Tim Burton was too constrained and too rushed to make a good movie with what he was given.

Speaking to MTV about his upcoming action flick Contraband, Wahlberg was asked about the recent Planet of the Apes reboot, . The entire chat can be seen in the video at right, but I have to say that Wahlberg is pretty good-natured about the fact that the reboot got a better reception than his movie did:

"I haven't seen it yet, but I heard it was pretty damn good. Well, ours wasn't. It is what it is. Ours wasn't ... They [Fox] didn't have the script right. They had a release date before Tim [Burton] had shot a foot of film. They were pushing him and pushing him in the wrong direction. You have got to let Tim do his thing."

Wahlberg's description of the situation doesn't sound too surprising. When studios hire directors known for their crazy artistic styles, saddling them with tight deadlines, incomplete/bad scripts, and don't give them much freedom to create the film they want, it's not surprising when the end result isn't all that impressive.

That said, the mental image of Tim Burton hanging out in a club with Marky Mark? That's kind of hysterical.

Source: <a href=http://io9.com/5872716/find-out-who-mark-wahlberg-blames-for-ruining-his-planet-of-the-apes-movie>io9

MrTub

Mar 12, 2009
Just so you know.. It's not possible to view that video in Sweden. And I quite liked the reboot and been far to long since I saw the original.

MASTACHIEFPWN

Will fight you and lose
Mar 27, 2010
If he thought that one sucked, I can't imagine his oppenion on the newest shitpile that series produced.

Feb 13, 2008
Planet of the Apes has been sinking since the original

Now, why the hell would you put the twist ending on THE FRONT COVER OF THE DVD, YOU DAMN DIRTY APES?

Svenparty

Jan 13, 2009
He should be glad Burton didn't have enough time to use his "artistic styles" to replace him and maybe everyone else in the film with Johnny Depp.

BlackWidower

Nov 16, 2009
"Sorry, we're unable to offer this video to users in your region."

Why not!? I'm not in fucking Sweden! I'm in Canada.

So much for the internet being international, eh!?

Anyway, I liked that movie. I mean it wasn't great, but I didn't think it was terrible either. Matrix Revolutions was terrible.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
The_root_of_all_evil said:

Now, why the hell would you put the twist ending on THE FRONT COVER OF THE DVD, YOU DAMN DIRTY APES?
I'm going to take a bet and say that chances are that most people who would make the effort to buy the DVD of such an old movie would already be tuned into popular culture enough to know the twist ending. I've known it since I was a little kid and even now I've never actually seen the original.

Warachia

Aug 11, 2009
So what region is the interview not locked in? I'm in Canada for crying out loud.

Feb 13, 2008
JoJoDeathunter said:
I'm going to take a bet and say that chances are that most people who would make the effort to buy the DVD of such an old movie would already be tuned into popular culture enough to know the twist ending. I've known it since I was a little kid and even now I've never actually seen the original.
You know if I run through all the twist endings, there's not gonna be more than a fingerful of ones given away on the DVD cover though.

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
SL33TBL1ND said:
Why the fuck is that video region locked? It's a goddamn interview.
Blame MTV. I still haven't had any luck finding that interview on YouTube. As soon as I can, I'll replace it.

Gorilla Gunk

May 21, 2011
He admitted The Happening was a shit film too.

That's why I like Mark Wahlberg. I like an actor that can admit a film they were in was bad.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
vansau said:
SL33TBL1ND said:
Why the fuck is that video region locked? It's a goddamn interview.
Blame MTV. I still haven't had any luck finding that interview on YouTube. As soon as I can, I'll replace it.
That's cool. But man is America weird.

Jonatron

Sep 8, 2008
Ironically enough, the apparently screwed up ending in the Tim Burton one is the one in La PlanĆØte des singes. Really good book, and not too long. Pierre Boulle disproved of the Statue of Liberty ending, I can't recall the article where I read that, however..

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:

And suddenly I'm reminded of this:

But yeah, OT, this slightly increases my respect for Wahlberg. He seems like he might be a cool guy to hang out with, but I still don't know if I care for him as an actor.

Darth_Dude

Jul 11, 2008
YOU BASTARDS! I'm in Australia, not freaking Angola!

._.

Regardless, Wahlberg seems like a nice guy.

surg3n

May 16, 2011
Can anyone recommend a Mark Wahlburg movie that doesn't suck?

Seriously, it's not for me to watch, I just can't think of a single movie he's starred in that wasn't terrible. Why blame apes, or established directors, when the stars have obviously half-assed it as well. Wahlberg is a douchebag, and interviews like that don't detract from that douchebaggery one bit.

It's like the typical douche-bag Danny Dyer excuse - did it for the money, it's ok to star in shite films as long as it's just for the money - in other words the paying public are morons for watching half the films made... even when it's a director that should be doing a good job with whatever time constraints or budget constraints or talent constraints are thrown at him.

If Uncharted stars that turd, I won't watch it, I won't even download the thing for free. It's be a mish-mash of National Treasure and Three Kings, it'll practically ignore the game, and it will be shite. Not like Uncharted is remotely original in the first place - ohh, I did some climbing and solved a puzzle and escaped a building by climbing and found some treasure by climbing, then the bad guys came and took it... repeat a dozen times and throw in a desert and you have Uncharted 3.