[UPDATE] Players Banned for Breakdancing in Star Wars: The Old Republic

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
[UPDATE] Players Banned for Breakdancing in Star Wars: The Old Republic

An unfortunate, but funny glitch in Bioware's new MMO is allowing players to avoid damage by dancing.

Like some sort of bizarre version of Footloose set in outer space, dancing in Star Wars: The Old Republic can now get you in a whole mess o' trouble. Bioware's ire, however, is somewhat more logical than Reverend Shaw Moore's; a player choosing to "get down" during combat currently prevents enemies (and even bosses) from targeting properly.

Knowledge of the exploit has already spread rapidly across the various SW:TOR star systems, leading to massive exploitation that the developer has yet to patch out of the game code. Don't think that gives your Sith Inquisitor a license to boogie though, as multiple accounts are already being walloped by the almighty ban hammer.

For players who can't stop (can't stop!) can't stop the beat, Bioware has started issuing account bans, claiming that the offenders "participated in abusing game mechanics to prevent enemy NPCs from targeting the user," and that "dancing is currently not permitted outside of special Dance Zones." The developer hasn't specified what exactly these "zones" are, but I think it's safe to assume it means "during combat." So, hey, you can dance if you want to, but no grinding while grinding.

I'll bet none of you ever thought you'd be banned from a Star Wars game for dancing in a non-dance zone, but then again, I never thought I'd see Obi-Wan's krayt dragon call get further attention. [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0EUjobdavw] Go figure.

Update: Bioware has apparently written Joystiq, informing them that the email containing "[player] participated in abusing game mechanics to prevent enemy NPCs from targeting the user," and "dancing is currently not permitted outside of special Dance Zones," was faked by someone unaffiliated with the company.

Source: Joystiq [http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/01/04/breakdancing-breaks-swtor-enemies-spirits/]

Voltano

Dec 11, 2008
Fappy said:
Are these perma-bans? o_O
I'm curious about that as well. Sure its annoying to PVP players if one person exploits this, but punishing people for exploiting a bug *in your game* seems like the wrong move. Why not just disable the dancing action globally until the bug is fixed?

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
Mike Kayatta said:
Players Banned for Breakdancing in Star Wars: The Old Republic
Help me, Kevin Bacon -- you're my only hope!

(Thus allowing "Footloose to Star Wars" to become an acceptable bridge in the "Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon" game)

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Perma bans? Damn, can't you guys just, I dunno, disable the dance function until its fixed or something?

Jesus Phish

Jan 28, 2010
This seems a bit of a harsh punishment. I'm sure it's only temporary but even still, warnings first then bans? How do you know how much people have done it? And special dance zones?

I wonder also, do these bans result in people being banned from their forum accounts and other Origin games?

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
I'm joining the "Are these perma-bans?" chorus, because if this is grounds for a ban, TOR doesn't have a very bright future ahead of it. Ok, I MIGHT be able to understand if they only banned people who were abusing it to the extreme (to, say, 2-man endgame content or something), but if they dropped the banhammer on people who just heard about a funny bug and wanted to try it out, then that's batshit retarded...

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
stupid stupid stupid thing to ban people for. I hate it. Release a game that isn't broken if you don't like people playing that way.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Fappy said:
Million dollar question right there. It's easy to get riled up over a ban-hammer use if it's inappropriate, but far harder to do so if the ban only lasts...say, 24 hours.

Still, this was a pretty clear exploit of game mechanics to avoid damage. The idiots knew they were breaking the rules.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Nasrin said:
Fappy said:
I think they're "suspensions".
That's good to know. Hopefully Bioware doesn't need to deal with another Martin's Shirt fiasco like WoW had during Wrath. That was total bullshit.

TJ Johnston

Apr 1, 2010
The bug is there. It's going to get exploited. I'm fairly certain there was a better solution to this than handing out bans. Show the customer a little bit of respect.

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
Nasrin said:
stupid stupid stupid thing to ban people for. I hate it. Release a game that isn't broken if you don't like people playing that way.
Indeed.

Release broken game > People play the game > Get banned because the game is broken.

SMRET LAWJIK!

Bioware - Proving that just because you can write a good story, it does not mean you're not, in fact, an idiot (See also: Frank Miller).

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
TJ Johnston said:
The bug is there. It's going to get exploited. I'm fairly certain there was a better solution to this than handing out bans. Show the customer a little bit of respect.
EA Bioware? Respect? These are the same people who yelled at fans for offering constructive criticism, and then blamed everything else on 4Chan raiders.

Fucks sakes Bioware, get your heads out of your ass.

Atary77

Feb 27, 2008
Way to go Bioware, punish the gamers who paid you money and continue to pay you money for a subscription all because they found a mistake in your code.

Kevlar Eater

Sep 27, 2009
Shows how pathetic Bioware has become, when they can't even get their shit together without banning people. And no, the EULA doesn't give them an all-access pass to their customers' asses.