BioWare Gives Best ME 3 Pre-Order Bonuses To GameStop

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
BioWare Gives Best ME 3 Pre-Order Bonuses To GameStop

Surprise, surprise: Pre-ordering Mass Effect 3 will net you bonus in-game content, but doing so from GameStop will provide you with the most items.

Pre-orders are big business with videogames, and studios often sweeten the deal by offering exclusive bonuses to those who are willing to put down a little cash ahead of time. With Mass Effect 3, BioWare has kicked things off by revealing the in-game items it'll give you in exchange for pre-ordering the game.

According to BioWare, folks who pre-order Mass Effect 3 will get to kit out Commander Shepard with both unique weaponry and armor. First off, if you pre-order the game from any retailer, you'll get the M55 Argus Assault Rifle. A pre-order from Origin will net you the AT12 Raider Shotgun, too. Finally, if you pre-order from GameStop, you'll net the N7 Defender Armor and the N7 Valkyrie Rifle (you'll still get the M55 Assault Rifle, too, though).

GameStop provided a lengthy description of the armor and rifle it's giving to customers:

N7 "Valkyrie" Assault Rifle

After the carnage of the Battle of the Citadel, Alliance officers commissioned a new rifle for their ground forces. A variation of the popular Avenger design, the Valkyrie is now standard issue for new recruits. Exceptionally well-crafted, accurate, and packing ample firepower, the rifle is a hot black-market item on the rare occasion it surfaces.

N7 "Defender" Armor

The Defender Armor is a variation on the N7 Special Forces' combat gear, built to protect soldiers in long-running engagements where reinforcements may be sparse. When the wearer fires a weapon, the suit's computers divert energy from the main power cell to the gun's kinetic coils, offering an extra punch. The Defender's storage compartments are designed to hold spare thermal clips, while capacitors throughout the armor provide extra power to shields during critical moments in battle. The armor also comes with an injection system built into the suit and neural-linked bio-monitors that help adjust the wearer's breathing rate and adrenaline levels.

Let's be honest about something: BioWare and EA just gave GameStop a huge advantage over other retailers and I'm not sure this will sit well with them for long. There is literally no reason to pre-order Mass Effect 3 from anywhere else if you're hoping to pick it up for a console.

Source: BioWare, <a href=http://www.gamestop.com/collection/mass-effect-3>GameStop

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I'm not sure everyone would feel the same way. While I'd prefer more armor options at this point I know many who would prefer more weapons over diverse aesthetics.

EDIT: Oh the Gamestop version gets two Assault Rifles? What? I'm confused. I read something totally different on IGN (unless I am just crazy).

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
At least they didn't do the LA Noir BS: auction off different chunks of gameplay content to different retailers. That crap pissed me off.

Ciler

Nov 16, 2009
I just can't get excited about pre-order bonuses anymore; they tend to add very little to my actual experience when I play a game. Last year I jumped on Dragon Age 2 for the pre-order bonuses, but unfortunately that game didn't really meet my expectations. I'd rather just wait a few extra months for the game to cost half as much (or less)...

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
Actually I can think of at least one quite big reason you wouldn't preorder it from Gamestop;
Not living in America.

Also may I be the first in this thread to state how this will be the last EA game I knowingly purchase.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
just checked the uk gamestop site, say's nothing about any kind of bonuses. Then again it doesn't say anything on Game's website either, so they may not know (why does that no suprise anyone?!)

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Oh yeah? After DA2, I'm not preordering anything before seeing the reviews. If it's shit, I'll pick it up from the bargain bin later (y'know, for the sake of closure).

And do people really care? It's a different gun that you barely ever see in third person view and maybe does a little more damage or something. Big deal.

Vegan_Doodler

May 29, 2011
Well I'm now annoyed about my ME3 pre-order, dose anyone else remember the good old days when developers would concentrate on making a good game in order to get you to buy their product rather then this messed up system where for a consumer to have all content for a game they would have to pre-order multiple copy's from different suppliers, or how about the days when there was only one special edition and that's what made it special.

For those who jump to the developers defence and say that they can do what they want, I completely agree, it is their product they can sell it how ever they like, but that dose not take away from the fact that it is a D*&! move.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
of well the rifles will be released as DLC at one point
more importantly: do i need origin for the PC version?

TwistedEllipses

Nov 18, 2008
No pre-order DLC characters or missions? I guess they might get announced later, but a free gun/armour is not enough for me to be desperate to buy it brand new...

Windu23

Aug 6, 2008
I've had my pre-order in for a while now, so none of this really does anything for me. I know I'm risking spending $60+ on a game I may not like (burned on Dead Island and Ace Combat), but I try my best to support IP that I'm a fan of (Ace Combat, MvC3, and ME3), or a company that's doing something really interesting to me (Dead Island and Asura's Wrath).

And I really only buy games from Gamestop anyway, so that's not a big deal to me.

Windu23

Aug 6, 2008
Vegan_Doodler said:
...remember the good old days when developers would concentrate on making a good game in order to get you to buy their product rather then this messed up system where for a consumer to have all content for a game they would have to pre-order multiple copy's from different suppliers, or how about the days when there was only one special edition and that's what made it special.
Remember when pre-order bonuses were actually meaningful and made you feel like the game makers were thanking you for supporting their products instead of just tacking content on that they probably would have put in the game had it been made 5-8 years ago?

DaxStrife

Late Reviewer
Nov 29, 2007
Crap, this news just made me realize that EA isn't putting games on Steam anymore, which is going to be weird since that's where I bought/played the last two. Guess I'll have to figure out where I'm getting a box copy from, because I ain't touching Origin.

oldtaku

Jan 7, 2011
I'm not all that excited about starting the game with gamebreaking ammo and weaponry - I can pass.

Also making sure they didn't Dragon Age 2 this before buying it.

Sara Fontaine

Sep 20, 2010
I know someone who's pre-ordered the N7 Collectors Edition from Game and he listed the amount of stuff that comes included with it, and it's a fair amount of extras. The info is on the Game UK site. It seems like the bonuses for over here are simply packaged in a more expensive edition (£70 to be precise). I've seen nothing of any extras for simply pre-ordering the game.

wintercoat

Nov 26, 2011
Well, based on the "Origin Exclusive" label on that picture at the top, it looks like I will not be buying ME3. Was really looking forward to it too. Maybe I'll pick up a hard copy when the price gets slashed and download a no Origin crack for it, because there's no way I'm downloading that shitty piece of malware.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
This is shitty. Publishers really need to stop giving GameStop extra benefits over other retailers. It makes sense to add stuff to the Origin version, since that's EA's platform, but GameStop... gah...

Well, I'm not going to move my pre-order. I've got it with a retailer that actually provides good service for its customers.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
wintercoat said:
Well, based on the "Origin Exclusive" label on that picture at the top, it looks like I will not be buying ME3. Was really looking forward to it too. Maybe I'll pick up a hard copy when the price gets slashed and download a no Origin crack for it, because there's no way I'm downloading that shitty piece of malware.
It's the shotgun that's Origin exclusive. As stated in the article.

Digitaldreamer7

Sep 30, 2008
and in a few months this shit will be out as DLC for the consoles. I hope people really don't fall for this "exclusive" shit any more. The word "exclusive" most always ='s "timed" anymore.

Anyways, the bigger thing is will all versions require origin or not. that's what will decied if it's an online purchase or a box copy that I remove DRM from after purchase.