Richard Garriott Leaves NCsoft

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Richard Garriott Leaves NCsoft

NCsoft [http://www.rgtr.com/] to pursue other interests.

In a message posted on the Tabula Rasa forums [http://www.rgtr.com/news/latest_news/an_open_letter_from_general_br.html], Garriott described his experiences developing and releasing the MMOG as "an unforgettable journey," even as he admitted that the game suffered through a "rough launch." He also took the opportunity to thank the fans who have supported the game thus far, as well as the development team's efforts to put out updates and new content every month, "a feat that I think is unusual in MMO development."

"Many of you probably wonder what my plans are, now that I have achieved the lifelong dream of going to space," Garriott wrote. "Well, that unforgettable experience has sparked some new interests that I would like to devote my time and resources to. As such, I am leaving NCsoft to pursue those interests."

"This news is difficult for me to deliver. I am honored to have worked with the team I've had and I'm grateful to the community who makes this game so unique and fun," he continued. "Thank you and farewell."

Observers more cynical than I could be forgiven for questioning the timing of Garriott's departure, which comes not only on the heels of his return from the void but also the news that Tabula Rasa is having a particularly hard go of it. The game was never the huge blockbuster NCsoft had hoped for, and the publisher was recently forced to issue a statement Amazon [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/86221] are offering new copies for as low as two bucks.

Despite that setback, Garriott still has more than enough cachet in the gaming industry to do pretty much whatever he wants. The only question, then, is whether he still wants to do anything with the videogame industry. Whatever "new interests" it is he's decided to pursue, the next chapter in the saga of Lord British will undoubtedly be mind-boggling, in every possible sense of the word.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
"I've been inspired to make a first person shooter...about a MARINE, wait no...A SPACE MARINE, and he'll have some awesome armor...yeah yeah! And he'll be trapped in space WITH THE ALIENS! Billiant!"

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Richard Garriott leaves NC Soft to attempt to travel to Mars as Grand High Ambassador to Earth British

And in future news, Richard Garriot is dead

Alex_P

All I really do is threadcrap
Mar 27, 2008
DeadlyYellow said:
"I've been inspired to make a first person shooter...about a MARINE, wait no...A SPACE MARINE, and he'll have some awesome armor...yeah yeah! And he'll be trapped in space WITH THE ALIENS! Billiant!"
Corporal British?

-- Alex

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Alex_P said:
DeadlyYellow said:
Corporal British?

-- Alex
No... Master Chief British

Wombats

Oct 3, 2008
I loved the old Ultima series...up to about 8.

Been a long time.

Been a long long time since this guy made a game worth playing.