New Google Chrome Extension Reveals SOPA Supporters

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
New Google Chrome Extension Reveals SOPA Supporters

Chrome can now help anti-SOPA activists easily identify who to boycott or protest.

It seems difficult to make your way around the web these days without hearing about who does, doesn't, or did but now doesn't support SOPA, a potential, and somewhat draconian measure that would block access to any website thought to be in violation of copyright infringement. After the collective voice and actions of multiple netizens forced Go Daddy to drop support [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/114936-Go-Daddy-Drops-SOPA-Support-After-Boycott-Threat], many internet users are looking to use that momentum to continue the fight against this impending legislation. No SOPA, a newly created free extension for Chrome, is looking to help them by putting information in their hands.

Using No SOPA will cause a message to appear on your browser every time you visit a website that supports the measure, creating a bar with the words "SOPA Supporter! This company is a known supporter of the dangerous 'Stop Online Piracy Act'!" for you to dismiss at your leisure. Its creators hope this can serve to educate people as to who is currently working to push the act into law. What people do with that information, however, is their choice.

"Boycott? Nasty letter time? You decide," wrote Andy Baird and Tony Webster, the two guys behind the No SOPA extension.

The time for action, regardless of what type, is growing slim. Congress could meet on SOPA as early as January 17th, and the Senate could vote by the 24th.

If you're interested, you can download the extension here. [https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/gagmjmoimnkgoijihaaeodbefhcapjcj?utm_source=chrome-ntp-icon]

Source: ReadWriteWeb [http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/chrome_extension_warns_you_when_you_browse_a_sopa-.php]

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
I like it. "Here's the information, now decide what you want to do with it". It's classy.

Sunrider

Add a beat to normality
Nov 16, 2009
Hell yeah, I'm getting this. No reason not to, if you ask me. Other than, you know, "I'm not using Chrome.". But if that is the case, shame on you!

Silk_Sk

Mar 25, 2009
Tested it on www.theesa.com and I got no message. Either they dropped support or it's not working properly.

Silk_Sk

Mar 25, 2009
No message on www.supportsopa.org either =_=. You'd think that one would be obvious (even if it might just be a retardedly official looking troll site).

DPeteD

May 29, 2011
DVS BSTrD said:
I sure hope Google doesn't support SOPA.
Of course they dont silly, google are one of the major opponents to sopa as the bill would do damage to their business.

DPeteD

May 29, 2011
Sunrider84 said:
Hell yeah, I'm getting this. No reason not to, if you ask me. Other than, you know, "I'm not using Chrome.". But if that is the case, shame on you!
No love for firefox?

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Meanwhile, Google themselves, who have more to lose from this bill passing than anyone else, have yet to so much as put a link to SOPA-related information on any of their homepages. And don't tell me it's "unethical to push a political agenda" on a public website. This isn't a thing that people can just agree to disagree on, like Democrat-vs-Republican. This is the very existence of the Internet we're talking about.

Feb 13, 2008
Here's the trouble with SOPA

For SOPA:
GoDaddy (still - they helped write it: Just "officially" against it now), Directors Guild of America, Disney, Harper Collins, Marvel, NFL, Penguin, Random House, Time Warner, Universal, Viacom - and probably Sony, Nintendo, Microsoft.

Against SOPA:
eBay (never wrong-doings there), Paypal (Violin smashers), AOL (They're still going?), Wikimedia (And here's a half page ad from Jimbo), Zynga (with their new SOPAville game), LinkedIn (information merchants)

Without any knowledge of SOPA, which side would you stick with?

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
Sunrider84 said:
Safari user and proud of it!

I'd probably use Chrome to check websites, but I don't go on a huge variety.

The_root_of_all_evil said:

For SOPA:
GoDaddy (still - they helped write it: Just "officially" against it now), Directors Guild of America, Disney, Harper Collins, Marvel, NFL, Penguin, Random House, Time Warner, Universal, Viacom - and probably Sony, Nintendo, Microsoft.

Against SOPA:
eBay (never wrong-doings there), Paypal (Violin smashers), AOL (They're still going?), Wikimedia (And here's a half page ad from Jimbo), Zynga (with their new SOPAville game), LinkedIn (information merchants)

It's a shame... all those big companies, and the "against" SOPA looks comparatively small scale.

DannyJBeckett

Jun 29, 2011

For SOPA:

Against SOPA:

Also against SOPA
Google (perhaps the biggest internet business in the world), Facebook (800 million+ users) Reddit, Twitter (300 million+ users), Amazon, LinkedIn, plus a load more. It's pretty underhanded to just outline the 'questionable' businesses against SOPA when there are many more 'legitimate' ones.

Vigilantis

Jan 14, 2010
Man my Marvel.com supports this trash?! Uhg...looks like I'll be without my comics for awhile.

Sunrider

Add a beat to normality
Nov 16, 2009
DPeteD said:
Sunrider84 said:
No love for firefox?
Not since Chrome came out.

AstylahAthrys

Apr 7, 2010
Downloaded! This is a pretty neat extension idea, though I have yet to actually test it to see how it works.

Feb 13, 2008
DannyJBeckett said:
Also against SOPA
Google (perhaps the biggest internet business in the world), Facebook (800 million+ users) Reddit, Twitter (300 million+ users), Amazon, LinkedIn, plus a load more. It's pretty underhanded to just outline the 'questionable' businesses against SOPA when there are many more 'legitimate' ones.
Google with their monopoly, Farcebook (Really? As Legitimate?), Reddit/Twitter (far from 'legitimate'), Amazon (Again, internet monopoly)

Regardless of 'legitimacy' - because every company up there has been involved in more than one dodgy case - this looks, to the unenlightened like a Internet Monopoly against it, with a Non-Internet monopoly supporting it.

Without knowledge of SOPA, who would you choose to go with as the lesser of two evils?

Disney or Farcebook?

It's like "Civil War" all over again.

DannyJBeckett

Jun 29, 2011
Google with their monopoly, Amazon (Again, internet monopoly)
Are these business any worse than Microsoft's 'embrace, extend and extinguish' business model? Or how about Disney? Or what about Harper Collins' parent company NewsCorp? Look up any recent news story about them and you'll see they're stuck in the middle of a massive legal furore over their investigating tactics (namely, hacking into people's phones, including that of a deceased teenager) all for the sake of selling a few more papers.