Silicon Knights Boss Dismisses Courtroom Setback

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Silicon Knights Boss Dismisses Courtroom Setback

Despite a courtroom setback in December, Silicon Knights chief Denis Dyack says he will ultimately expose Epic's "misconduct" to the world.

The legal battle between Silicon Knights and Epic Games has been dragging on since the Too Human [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/75104-Silicon-Knights-Sues-Epic], and refused to fix or support the engine as required.

Epic gained an edge [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/114960-Epic-Wins-Advantage-in-Too-Human-Lawsuit] in December 2011 when a judge decided to exclude the testimony of accountant and financial analyst Terry Lloyd, who said that Silicon Knights had suffered more than $58 million in losses stemming from the delay. The court decided that Lloyd was "not qualified" to come up with any kind of accurate estimate of losses, noting that his figures are "unreliable and speculative."

But according to Dyack, Lloyd's testimony is just one piece of a much larger puzzle and only "one of the few rulings that Epic can say went their way."

"Epic filed over 20 separate motions to exclude essentially every aspect of the voluminous evidence against them, including all of Silicon Knights' expert witnesses [beyond Mr. Lloyd] and all of the third-party information regarding Unreal Engine 3," Dyack told GamesIndustry [http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-01-06-silicon-knights-well-expose-misconduct-of-epic-games-in-court]. "Other than this one ruling on Mr. Lloyd, they were not successful."

"It is important to understand that the jury decides damages and will hear evidence from many people and see many case documents. Mr. Lloyd's testimony was only one piece," he said, adding that he is "looking forward to Epic's misconduct finally being aired in the light of day."

Regardless of Epic's role in the affair, Too Human was a pretty big bomb, leading Microsoft to give up on the second and third parts of the planned trilogy. Dyack, however, insists that the studio still intends to complete the trilogy.

karloss01

Jul 5, 2009
If i was an employee at silicon knights, i would be looking for a new job. this lawsuit will probably kill them in expenses.

Micalas

Mar 5, 2011
DVS BSTrD said:
For the last time: It wasn't the Unreal Engine 3 that ruined Too Human
IT WAS EVERYTHING ELSE!
Seriously. Drop the shit trilogy and just make another installment of Eternal Darkness. Even if you made another Too Human game no one wants to play it. Even if it was the greatest thing the human mind had ever conceived no one will know because no one will have bought it to find out. It's done. The horse race started and your horse was executed right out of the fucking gate. Don't put the poor dead horse on wheels and try to push him around the track.

ShadowsofHope

Outsider
Nov 1, 2009
Silicon Knights has officially entered "denial of reality" mode, it seems.

Too Human, despite the future Nordic setting, was simply a shit bad game, Mr. Dyack. Deal with it.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
At this rate i wonder if Silicon Knights is going to be more lawyers than game developers by the end of the year.

Still, switching to a lawfirm would save thier name, if not thier reputation, dignity and fans.

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
You know what? I'm tired of hearing everything Dyack says. He's driven his company into the ground so hard it's beyond the depths of spelunking with one game that took ten years to make. Silicon Knights is a farce, and so is the dickhead that oversees it. It's time he grew a pair, played his own fucking game, and realize how badly he misrepresented that game.

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
Micalas said:
DVS BSTrD said:
For the last time: It wasn't the Unreal Engine 3 that ruined Too Human
IT WAS EVERYTHING ELSE!
Seriously. Drop the shit trilogy and just make another installment of Eternal Darkness. Even if you made another Too Human game no one wants to play it. Even if it was the greatest thing the human mind had ever conceived no one will know because no one will have bought it to find out. It's done. The horse race started and your horse was executed right out of the fucking gate. Don't put the poor dead horse on wheels and try to push him around the track.
At this point, I don't trust them with anything they touch if X-Men Destiny is an indicator. If post-Too Human they're this bad, then I don't want to know how they'll handle other games.